I trust these knives !!!

Of course a mora is not as tough as a fallkniven, but a fallkniven is not 25 times tougher, but hey maybe it is. Pitdogs point is, is that extra bit of security you feel in a survival situation worth the extra money? I have never batoned myself but in a survival situation, if I was building a good sized shelter, there would be lots of times I would rather use either a good saw or a tougher blade then a mora.
However, I would be able to make do if all I had was the mora, just using a bit more caution. Pitdog and others would simply rather not bother with caution, they want their knife to cut what they want to cut, or baton, or chop. I think I fall somewhere in the middle of these two pretty distinct camps. (ie, the mora fits the bill there, small size but tough)

Liam
My point was that if you are tired or otherwise impared you may not notice things like improper technique. Not that I wouldn't bother with caution. The time we may need to depend on a tool for survival may be the same time that we are not at our best mentally.
Another example would be that I would not like to depend on a $10 "campers axe" of dubious quality in a survival situation although in a campground it may suffice. With careful use it may work fine however once again if tired or impared by such things as early stages of hypothermia a missed swing or whatever could result in a broken axe. Yes the same could happen with a good quality axe but it is less likely.
If given the choice between batoning and using a saw or axe/hatchet I wouldn't be batoning.

if you can tell me more - what kind of sheath is with the blackjack grunt ? and how does it compare to your other fixed blades ? i am thinking about getting one

All though I haven't had time to read all this thread I trust my know how to use what ever knife I have with me. I Have never broke A knife that was not being abused at the time it broke don't understand how someone allows a knife to get where you would step on it:confused: good thing you had decent shoes on or a broken knife would have been the least of your worries
I have spent an unplanned night or 2 in the woods and never had a problem with my everyday carry knives knives I carry? would not carry it if Idid not trust it! sak tinker and a old hickory paring knife in a homemade back pocket sheath is what I edc I also carry at times buck 110 ,119 old timer sharpfinger, mora old hickory butcher knife,kershaw black out case russlock if I need to chop I carry a hatchet, But then I'm just a simple old hillbilly
Roy

I live in the woods and use knives on a daily basis,i also pack into the back country .I always have one of these with me Becker BK7,RAT7, or my Randallmade #14, have used them all hard.They have never failed.

Ok I have now read the whole thread and have some observations
1.fancy knives or gadgets do not make up for lack of skill or common sense
2. why would you even try to split a peice of frozen wood even if you do get it split it still wet and not good for kindling
3. leaving a knife where it can get stepped on in just plain careless:thumbdn:
4. from some here corncerns about being able to get a fire going you probly need to work on building fires in adverse conditions
5.unless you are a soldier over seas in hostile areas or an idiot who did not leave where you are going and when you will be back (and yes I have been guilty of this when I was young)you are not going to have to survive for a month
6. since I my survival tool is my brain I use what ever I happen to have and deal with it
and yes I have been in the water up to my chest with temps in the 20's and falling and a wet snow falling about 2 miles from shelter when help arrived (someone knew where I was and when I was due back) I had a fire going and was nearly dry. I had a uncle henry trapper slipjoint knife and 2 shotgun shells put together full of strike anywhere matches wrapped with black tape didn't even break my knife:D
Roy

5.unless you are a soldier over seas in hostile areas or an idiot who did not leave where you are going and when you will be back (and yes I have been guilty of this when I was young)you are not going to have to survive for a month

Its good advice to let people know where you are headed , when you expect to be back etc ... its good if you got someone to tell it to anyway

years back , I used to regularly head out and not tell it to anyone , because I had no-one who cared to tell it to

the few times I did tell anyone , they didnt bother when I was 3 weeks late anyway , they just assumed Id be back eventually ...

I think the advice to let people know should come with a kind of rider that you got to have people you can trust to act when you dont show up as well , a network of friends is a seriously good safety net ...

Exactly, And after having Mora failures I will not use them in the field for any reason. They do not work for me under reasonable use let alone emergency abuse.

Skam

I'd have to agree.
As much as I do enjoy the moras ( and I own a few ). Some were not up to my standards, just last weekend my clipper's handle broke. a couple weeks before my #2's tang snapped dislodging it from the handle when applying simple pressure while making a figure 4 trap.
Yesterday I received 2 Mora 2000 and one of them seems to have a defect in the blade and on the sheath.

They are certainly exceptional for the price and there are many of different quality, size, shape which easily accommodates your taste.

But when it comes down to the nitty gritty I'd rather use my TAK-1, BK7, Muskrat Nessmuk or my Woodlore clone made by A.Wright & son LTD.:eek:

I'd have to agree.
As much as I do enjoy the moras ( and I own a few ). Some were not up to my standards, just last weekend my clipper's handle broke. a couple weeks before my #2's tang snapped dislodging it from the handle when applying simple pressure while making a figure 4 trap.
Yesterday I received 2 Mora 2000 and one of them seems to have a defect in the blade and on the sheath.

They are certainly exceptional for the price and there are many of different quality, size, shape which easily accommodates your taste.

But when it comes down to the nitty gritty I'd rather use my TAK-1, BK7, Muskrat Nessmuk or my Woodlore clone made by A.Wright & son LTD.:eek:

EXACTLY !!!!

OK , gunna ask the obvious question ..

if moras are substandard , and you have other blades that will actually do the job

why do you have moras and are not using the other blades to do the stuff thats gunna break a mora ?

genuine curiosity

No offense meant to anyone...sincerely but I've never broken a knife...Knock on wood I've dulled them. I've had the cellidor scales come off of my first vic.. but I have never had a knife break as the result of use...Myabe I'm just to cautious with them but I've had a knife of some sort on me everyday for the past 25 years,,They've lasted through scouts..while camping and fishing as a kid, wokring on a farm.THrough numerous cross country jaunts as a teenage hippie to My travels and outdoor activities as an adult..This is not to say that a thin stock knife could break..but it just has not been my experience up till this point....Would I trust a mora as my only solo tool in a wilderness survival situation..preferably not...but if I had too I'd make it work..A cromagnon man might've traded his wife for a mora...Would you want her?? that's the real question...

The main thing about Mora knives, isn`t that they have superb quality. They`re just standard, normal quality knives, that are cheap enough not to care too much about how they`re used. I`ve seen them being used to pry rocks from the ground, cut metal sheeting, open cans, stabbed through wooden walls, to create an opening. And yes, i`ve seen my share of broken Mora knives aswell. (And as someone who always get to sharpen these knives... Well... Nothing tears me up as much as seeing a knife being mangled by inappropriate use. Though i`ve come to realize that the "normal" person doesn`t care too much about his Mora knife, since he knows that he can get another one for around 10$.)
Mora knives are disposable knives, made to do almost any job, somewhat well.
And i think it`s more to their price that`s made them popular, than their quality. (Not to say that the quality is shoddy, it`s just not superb.)

The best thing about this thread is getting to see pics of other people's knives. Pure eye candy!

People here obviously love knives, so it makes sense that they would lavish a lot of time, attention and obviously money on them.

So if there was an even remote possibly that you might have to trust that knife to perform, would you settle for a $10 knife? I know I wouldn't.

That said, these the ones I would trust:

BATAC.jpg

P1010005-1.jpg

gak02.jpg

I can gather firewood without a knife of any kind.

I can construct a shelter without a knife of any kind.

If I can find an animal burrow, fallen hollow tree, cave or depression, I can have shelter without any construction at all.

If I absolutely have not been rescued in a month, {fat chance in the continental U.S.}, and am getting really hungry, I will need a knife to prepare a small critter for consumption.
In which case, I would prefer a smaller blade to whittle trap parts and to skin the thing.
I would need a knife for this, but not a big thick one. A small mora would do fine.

I would rather cut paracord with a knife, but a sharp rock will work, A cheap folder will work for this too.

I have many fixed blades ranging from tiny 2.5 inch blades, to a massive 5.5 inch ‘sharpened prybar’ that I couldn’t break if I tried to. I could depend on any of them.
Heck, I have FOLDERS that would get me through.

ANY knife will work fine as part of a survival arsenal. Training, practice, resolve, other gear, {matches, garbage bags, whistles, etc.}, are just as, if not MORE important than having a ‘tough knife’.

Knives are primarily SLICING tools. Not choppers, hammers, prybars, spears etc. etc. etc.

I love knives and have several top notch brands, but I think too many people have seen too many Rambo movies and have the mistaken idea that ‘the knife’ is what saves their bacon.

Considering that many people on these forums can’t spell, {or use spell check}, can’t use punctuation, and can’t read very well, I have doubts as to whether they have the skills to use a ‘reliable’ knife anyway. They will die with their $30 Gerber just as fast as their $500 Busse.

Considering that many people on these forums can’t spell, {or use spell check}, can’t use punctuation, and can’t read very well, I have doubts as to whether they have the skills to use a ‘reliable’ knife anyway. They will die with their $30 Gerber just as fast as their $500 Busse.

Yeah we are a dumb bunch on here ! None of us have a clue, unlike a genius such as you !!!:rolleyes:

I can construct a shelter without a knife of any kind.

If I can find an animal burrow, fallen hollow tree, cave or depression, I can have shelter without any construction at all.

If I absolutely have not been rescued in a month, {fat chance in the continental U.S.}, and am getting really hungry, I will need a knife to prepare a small critter for consumption.
In which case, I would prefer a smaller blade to whittle trap parts and to skin the thing.
I would need a knife for this, but not a big thick one. A small mora would do fine.

I would rather cut paracord with a knife, but a sharp rock will work, A cheap folder will work for this too.

I have many fixed blades ranging from tiny 2.5 inch blades, to a massive 5.5 inch ‘sharpened prybar’ that I couldn’t break if I tried to. I could depend on any of them.
Heck, I have FOLDERS that would get me through.

ANY knife will work fine as part of a survival arsenal. Training, practice, resolve, other gear, {matches, garbage bags, whistles, etc.}, are just as, if not MORE important than having a ‘tough knife’.

Knives are primarily SLICING tools. Not choppers, hammers, prybars, spears etc. etc. etc.

I love knives and have several top notch brands, but I think too many people have seen too many Rambo movies and have the mistaken idea that ‘the knife’ is what saves their bacon.

The point is: with the right tools you can do it faster and more efficiently. One can gather firewood and make a shelter without a knife, but a knife will make the job easier.

A big knife makes starting a fire in wet conditions much easier by allowing you to get to the center of dry wood easily. This is the biggest advantage of big knives that I can think of.

Back