• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

I was just ripped off by scammer

A scammer who has PayPal account n_wildey@yahoo.com and email mitzarmsammo@gmail.com has been impersonating Blade Forums members and contacting prospective buyers who have commented on for sale posts. The scammer incorporates real user names in his email header. Be careful out there! Only pay with secure methods like PPG&S. Don’t be dumb like me.

The reason this has happened, (aside from the PayPal issues), is that many of you have left your contact and personal details in your profile page and conversations there. This lets anyone capture that info and send you an email while posing as the legitimate seller or trader of something you seek.

Please go back to your profile pages and remove all personal contact info that might be used against you by these ne'er-do-wells.

Stick to contact via PM. If you cannot send PMs, you are at higher risk, but at least remove your data immediately after the other party has it. (Still, no guarantee of someone not using it for bad purposes once obtained.)

Don't want to pile on, but I've seen this a lot lately and just don't want others to get scammed in the same way.

In this case, you actually posted your email on the sales thread itself. A lot of people don't seem to realize that this isn't safe, even if you edit your post and remove it your email later as some people do.

If you post your email on a sales thread or on someone's profile, it's very easy for someone to grab it in real time (before you can delete it) and use it to target you.

It's still possible to get scammed by someone sending you a PM (hence the wisdom of using G&S). But it's harder to pull off because the scammer would have to crack someone's password and hack their account to do that.

A $10/year Basic membership gets you enough PMs to occasionally buy on the Exchange without hitting your message limits.

Cheers and sorry this happened!

The reason this has happened, (aside from the PayPal issues), is that many of you have left your contact and personal details in your profile page and conversations there. This lets anyone capture that info and send you an email while posing as the legitimate seller or trader of something you seek.

Please go back to your profile pages and remove all personal contact info that might be used against you by these ne'er-do-wells.

Stick to contact via PM. If you cannot send PMs, you are at higher risk, but at least remove your data immediately after the other party has it. (Still, no guarantee of someone not using it for bad purposes once obtained.)
Thanks for the tip, I wanted to have a complete profile, but I'll think twice about that now..

Hacked accounts and spoofed emails have been by far the biggest issue with members being defrauded.

Strengthen your passwords, use two factor authorization, and do your homework before engaging and committing to any sale or trade.

Check the seller's recent activity...posts, sales, feedback etc. If you have a suspicion that something isn't kosher, go with your gut.

If you have a suspicion that something isn't kosher, go with your gut.
And report it, more than one scammer has been banned before they could do any harm because of the report.

Back