If you had a scrap piece of titanium, what would you use it for?

I have a small piece of .20" Ti about 8" by about 18". I am curious to know what you guys would do with it. Let's hear your ideas.

If it was me I would make an 8" OAL ultralight wharncliffe or reverse tanto necker. Fully skelontonized with an optional cord wrap, carbidized chisel ground edge.

But that's just me :rolleyes: :D

Here's something I threw together really quick. 7.75" OAL, 1.15" Height, High Saber Grind, preferably large diameter hollow ground. Maybe could use a slightly longer handle but it's hard for me to say without holding it in hand. The spine of the handle is flatter then I intended, it should curve from the front of the handle to the butt.

qvh6UET.png

Last edited:
It is much softer then steel but with a carbidized edge works very well on cardboard, rope, things like that. It will actually self sharpen when the carbidizing is applied properly.

Of course, Ti is also completely corrosion proof so it works nicely in wet or humid conditions.

Nice. The nerd in me would probably want to turn that into the blade for a hidden blade replica from Assassin's Creed, because it's so light.

That necker looks like a nice design, although not very Dirk Pinkerton in looks. If the edge has issues, how well would it do as a stabbing tool? E.g., a backup blade of some sort.

I think Ti would stab just fine, it is very springy and tough. In that design, the handle is pretty generic, the blade is where most of my effort went. I didn't really expect it to be Dirk's style, to be honest I didn't know that much about his knives before looking them up, I don't get over this way that often. I just saw this thread from the front page and thought I'd drop in my .02

Given my lack of anything resembling artistic talent, I would probably make it a doorstop. If, on the other hand, I had access to your brain and equipment, I would probably try turning it into a sort of wharncliffe/kiridashi hybrid. Maybe a bit like a kunai with a narrower blade and with quite a bit less of the symmetrical diamond shape.

OK, reading through the post has brought me to the idea of a titanium dagger. Question, what style blade? There are many. I shall have to sleep on this.

I am thinking a straight taper blade, along the lines of a Renaissance dagger. However, instead of an acute point go for a more truncated point. Possibly some quillions. This might be fun.

Which grade of titanium?

If BETA - make a small knife.

If not BETA - make several small anodized lanyard pendants.

That necker looks like a nice design, although not very Dirk Pinkerton in looks. If the edge has issues, how well would it do as a stabbing tool? E.g., a backup blade of some sort.

A well made titanium knife would have no problems in regards to stabbing, whould one so desire.

These hold up fine. Edges have no issues and they are both razor sharp.

MissionMPU8.jpg

You could stab somerhing with a carbon fiber knife, if you wanted to, so ti is no problem.

If I had a piece that big I wouldn't consider it to be a off cut, TI dagger would be nice.

Richard

I wish I had Beta. Just standard 6al4v. I should have plenty of Ti remaining. I am liking the lanyard pendant idea.

New to this forum, so excuse the ignorance--where would one get scraps? Anything 1/8" or slightly thicker, 1" square. I'm a hiker and hammock rigger--I'd make hooks and small rope-tying devices. Can anyone PM me a different thread or source here or elsewhere? Thx. -Jonathan, St. Paul, MN

I took the scraps from my first folder attempt and my kids mini kiridashi type blades, unsharpened and not pointed though. They love them.

Back