Illinois might be moving to legalize switchblades

Senate Bill SB2294 passed the Illinois Senate recently, and has been sent over to the House. It is scheduled to be heard in committee (or something; I'm not as versed in the details) on May 10th. Surprisingly, I believe this bill passed in the Senate unanimously, so I'm hoping the House will pass it as well.

Our state does not have preemption language regarding knife laws, so even if the state decriminalizes the carry of switchblades, Chicago is still free to make its own more restrictive regulations. Guess we'll see where this goes, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will pass, even though it will likely cost me a bunch of money if it does. :D

More details on the AKTI page: http://www.akti.org/news/2016-illinois-sb-2294/

so even if the state decriminalizes the carry of switchblades, Chicago is still free to make its own more restrictive regulations.

Exactly why we didn't buy a house within the City of Los Angeles. They seem to keep strict gun and knife laws regardless of what the County does not to mention crazy taxes and more crime. Good for you guys. Maybe our politicians will grow a brain out here and see that an auto knife is just another blade.

Hope this goes through. Hope they also clarify length limit.

I don't think there is s length limit in Illinois, but Chicago has a 2.5 inch limit.

This has passed the house and senate and is awaiting Rauner's signature. I have emailed him asking for him to support this bill. Anyone else?

This has passed the house and senate and is awaiting Rauner's signature. I have emailed him asking for him to support this bill. Anyone else?
I have as well. I don't know if he'll sign it, but I don't think it's likely he'll veto it, which means that even if he ignores the bill, it will become law around Aug. 16th.

Reactions: Mo2
I don't think he'll veto it either, but I figured it would be good for him to hear that we want this to pass.

Illinois is pretty decent.. I'm indifferent about automatics. We need to work on Chicago, I don't know how that will work out though.

how many days has it been on the mayors desk, and how many days does he have before it goes into law if he doesnt sign it or veto it.

It was sent to the governor on 6/16. He has 60 days from that date to sign or veto. If he does neither, it becomes law on the 61st day.

Back