I'm a lucky guy!

Hi Folks, (sorry for the length, I guess this became a bit more than a hello to the group)
After a two year hiatus from adding to my to collection, I found myself back on the knife forums and discovered Ray's work back in the fall. His Thanksgiving post about his new flipper (the Fossa), was my first exposure and I ramped up my education thanks to this sub forum and other posts by fans of Ray's work.
I also saw that Ray's sale postings on the Maker sub forum always sold within ten minutes (more like two!), but the good news was that I live next to Pasadena and would have a shot at some Laconico goodness in March. I must be living a good life because Liberty43 put one of Rays early frame locks up for sale last week - not only did I get to purchase it, but found a new and knowledgable friend, who as an owner of a Blast, Jasmine and Fossa was able to give me perspective on which I would want next. From our PM discussions and his great YouTube vid (Ray has already put it up here), I decided I would pray for an available Fossa in Pasadena. With only a few Fossas roaming the world, imagine my surprise when one came up on the sale page this week.
Knowing how quickly they disappear, I did not even read the whole post, I simply said "I'll take it".
I have been living with my digi cam framelock for a week and it is a delight. Smooth action, great flat grind and a wonderful, balanced feel.
The Fossa arrived today (thanks Zookie), and holy ***t! I have carried a Umnumzaan for two years and have had a ZT 0561 for a few months. They will be gathering dust, as I now have a new large folder EDC. The ergonomics are awesome. Compared to the Zaan, it fills the hand more completely with a nice heft but without the bulk of the 0561. I have never owned custom folders before, but as an owner of several CRK's, I am familiar with precision machining. The meticulous accuracy of Ray's tolerances exceed that of any of my Reeves. The visual aesthetics absolutely knock me out: the cf backspacer, bronze finish screws and the flowing lines of the handle and blade have a wonderful symmetry.
And oh, yeah, this is a knife. Have only done some quick testing (cardboard, paper, rope), and the edge is excellent. The weight and size of the spine and fuller, leave me confident she will be a tough worker whenever the need arises.
Ray, thanks for making these great knives and I look forward to meeting you in Pasadena. Like many on the forum, I am pretty sure I will one day have a full quiver of Laconico knives.

Chuck

Here are my first two:

laconico 1 copy.jpg

Laconico 2 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Great post! Couldn't agree with you more, Ray's attention to detail is amazing. Just got my second Blast, thanks again Ray and I'm in line for a Jasmine. Now it looks like I have to get in line for a Fossa (please add me to the list Ray).

Thank you for sharing.

Bob

REALLY nice, Chuck. thanks for the pix.
I love Ray's simple knife styles. I'm saving for one now.
Rolf

Back