I'm going to Tokyo and Hong Kong >>

in a few days. Any recommendations about where to look for custom knives? Even a good selection of factory knives would be interesting!

--Greg Goode

I have lived 3 years in Tokyo and there is actually one good shop
to go.
Name: THE KNIFE
Sorry I don't know the exact address anymore
:confused:
Japanese are nice people, just ask...
Give it a try and let me know if you have found it when you are back.

The Knife is nice but pricey, but then is most imported items in Japan. Okachimachi Station near Ueno Station has a hoard of neat stores under the tracks that have neat stuff and they like to haggle. Also they are a stop from Akihabara Station where you can find anything electric...

I was in Tokyo a few years ago. At one of the shrines, I apaologize I do not remember the name, there were shops and one of them was a smith who made traditional Japanese knives. The shop was closed the day I was there so I could not tell you much about them. The shrine I was at a had a large red person at the entrance to the alter, this may help find it.

swissdagger, it's not "The Knife" but "The Edge."
I'm afraid most non-knife people do not know the place, even heard of the shop... there are so many shops of every kind in Shibuya.

Greg, in Hong Kong, you can try Unik Products in Wan Chai district.
It is run by Cactus Tan.

I don't have his address with me right now but you can try the telephone directory or the phone operator in HOng Kong.

Dang, wish I had known that there was a knife place in Wan Chai, was there back in November and never saw it. :(

There are three places that I saw knives in Hong Kong, there is a shop that sells lots of tactical folders in Ocean Terminal (a mall) in Tsim Sha Tsui, think it was on the 2nd floor, near a supermarket (follow the green signs). Don't remember the name, sorry.

Then there is a Victorinox shop in the Airport near departures, sells some not bad stuff, some good tactical folders.

And lastly for local color, Shanghi Street on the West side of the Kowloon Peninsula, around Yae Ma Te (spelling?) has lots of shops that sell kitchen knives. Lots of serious, 1/4 inch thick, Chinese choppers, laminated steel sushi knives, that sort of thing. If you go looking for a sushi knife make sure that you stop walking north before you get to Mong Kok or you WILL be in brothel country (look for the pink and green neon :D )!

hope you have a good trip

Chris

http://www.ohyasuya.co.jp/

You can find their street address there,too.

Been there about 3 times. Good friendly shop manager.

They have a great selection of Japanese and other factory knives.

Lots by Chris Reeve and Elishewitz.

They also carry customs by Jpnse makers

- Kuzan Oda (pricey, often forged stuff)
- T. Nemoto (slick tactical fixed blades)
- H. Sasaki (stylish in a unique way)

The using grade knives by Saji Takeshi (who has a site of his own if you want a preview) are a good value.

Good luck and have fun!

Back