I'm Interested In Starting Throwing Of ALL Types Need Some Help About The Equipment!

I Would Like To Throw It All After Some Pratice Including Stars, Spikes, Knives, And Hatchets/Axes. I Need SOmoe Help On What Gear To Get. Also I Need To Know Of Some Good Sites With Directions On How To Throw. And Most Importantly Where To But These Items At As Low Of Cost As Possible.
I Can Get The Hibbens Cheap (50% Off Retail) But Are They Any Good From What I Hear They Are Very Light.
Price Is An Item To Consider (I Don't Want To Break The Bank)
So Any And All Informaton Is Useful

------------------
Thx
L8A,
Matt

I am no pro myself but I do like to throw on occasion. I especially like tomahawks and one of my favorite toys is a coldsteel special forces shovel. It sticks up easily and makes a good "chunk" sound when it sticks. I have had to reinforce it by welding some thin strips of stainless around where the handle attaches because it started cracking but these shovels are cheap and not too hard to find. I also have a CS warhead that I like. The true flight throwers that I bought 6 of turned out to be a little too brittle and all but 2 broke in half when they hit a tree flat sided. I sent them back and they replaced them with the warhead. I have a new Boker Tan Kri that I got as a christmas present to myself but I decided to put it in the sale/trade forum because I really hate to start skinning up another new knife when I have so many oldies around. I would never recomend throwing a folding knife but I have thrown my gerber parabellum hundreds of times without destroying it. I have destroyed a few other really nice knives by abusing them but if you are going to play, you got to pay! There are many good throwers available at reasonable prices. Check out the Hibben throwers . I have a set of them and the large one is my favorite.They come in three sizes I beleive. Good luck with your new hobby and have fun with it!
smile.gif

------------------
"A six blade Knife will do anything for you"

If you only want to spend a little bit of money Id stay with the spikes. They are really easy to make. To find out how to throw all/most of the things you mentioned go to Mathew Rapaports site here www.sonic.net/~quine/thrower.html I think you can find how to do the spikes on his site. If you cant go to Scott Gracias site here www.throwzini.com They are under throwers I believe. Also check some of the older threads here. They covered this subject more in depth. Well I hope this helped.

Thanks for the plug Kevin! There are lots of articles connected to http://www.sonic.net/~quine/thrower.html. You must spend a little time actually reading the text and then checking out links related to what you want to do. At the bottom of the page are lots of links to other pages like Scott's (throwzini), and the Sticking Point (http://www.commonlogic.com/knife/). There is also the mailing list (www.egroups.com/thrower) if you want to ask people about the sport/hobby interactively.

Lots of resources.

Happy new year everyone

You can find some knives that should suit you at www.brantonknives.com
Do yourself a favor and buy good quality throwers from either myself or other makers like Lee Fugatt, Tru Balance, Harald Moeller or one of the other makers. You should not have to pay more than $75.00 for a first class throwing knife. Most will range from $10.00 to $75.00.
You can also find simple throwing instructions if you click on to the AKTA (American Knife Throwers Alliance)section on my site. Good luck

Bobby Branton

------------------
AKTI member #1000
President South Carolina Association of Knifemakers
President American Knife Throwers Alliance

http://www.brantonknives.com

No problem Mathew. Sort of giving credit where credits due. Your site really helped me out when I first started throwing. I just figure it will help other beginners as much as it did me. So I post the link. Well I hope the new year brings you happiness, prosperity and lots of bullseyes.
Kevin

Don't forget to go to the thrift stores, some kitchen knives there are really handy as cheap throwers. Get yourself a bunch of meat cleavers, they too are good for throwing.

As for axes, I throw tomahawks and full sized double bited axes. Get Cold Steel tomahawks, but ignore the Bad Axe (The head broke on mine.). You can get the double bited axes at a home depot, or a Menards pretty cheap.

Back