Imgur Says Not To

Chefget

Gold Member
1000015612.png

Imgur terms of service says; 'Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere...'

Isn't this what we are being asked to do?

Is it ok to misuse their storage?

That is odd wording, since Imgur gives links specifically labeled for posting on blogs, websites, and message boards.

FPJHrOr.jpg

I posted about this in one of the other threads. This language from Imgur was brought up when the Photobucket issues required folks to find another solution. A number of us reached out to Imgur at the time and they assured us that their language was directed at commercial use. I don't believe that has changed any.

Unfortunately the wording is not clear at all, and leaves Imgur room to basically do whatever they want. They even included "we will be the judge". 😒

I guess I'm always under the impression that a company can do what they want with their business.

My point is their agreement is unclear so ultimately nobody who accepted it can rightfully complain even if they judge against them in a way that is clearly biased whether politically or otherwise. That’s an agreement I wouldn’t want to accept - and didn’t.

My point is their agreement is unclear so ultimately nobody who accepted it can rightfully complain even if they judge against them in a way that is clearly biased whether politically or otherwise. That’s an agreement I wouldn’t want to accept - and didn’t.
That's good. Many agree but complain after the fact.

Last edited:
I posted about this in one of the other threads. This language from Imgur was brought up when the Photobucket issues required folks to find another solution. A number of us reached out to Imgur at the time and they assured us that their language was directed at commercial use. I don't believe that has changed any.
Thanks for clarifying. Legalistic reading of that without context could give false impressions. Instead, now I might guess it was written by the summer intern.

Thanks for clarifying. Legalistic reading of that without context could give false impressions. Instead, now I might guess it was written by the summer intern.

I wouldn't be surprised. Some years ago, I was taken by a fit of curiosity and I dug into the origins of Imgur. It's been awhile so my memory is a bit fuzzy but I think I recall it was started by and remains helmed by a couple of siblings. They are relatively young so the language and marketing surrounding the service seems to mirror the sort of community they have sought to cultivate.

Looks like that approach hasn't changed -- it's OK to share Imgur links outside of the Imgur Community...

EbKVP1e.jpg

Back