Imperial Kamp King

Hello Shraders,

I have a Kamp King which is about 20 years old. I don't recall where I got it. It's a cheapie, likely I picked it up while on a camping trip and needed this style knife.

It's a classic camp knife design with a clip blade, a can opener, a bottle opener with screwdriver tip and an awl. The scales are black plastic and it has a belt loop.

The blade is carbon steel. I sharpened it once and it's darned near scary sharp and it has maintained that for many years.

I am wondering if it's made by Schrade. It is engraved "Imperial", "USA" (vertical, at the end of the two lines) and "PROV. RI"

Anyway,here is another vote for carbon steel. It has 1 black rust spot on the reverse of the clip blade.

Indirectly it is, imperial and Schrade have been related since 1946 when they were brought together by Albert Baer who bought Schrade. Actually the affair began in WWII when they both made knives for the war effort. Kamp King was an inexpensive line of camp knives made by Imperial who were originally in PROV RI ( as you mention ), presently Schrade is now named Imperial Schrade. They have two factorys now, one in Ellenville NY which produces Schrade and one in Ireland ( Listow ) which produces Imperial.

The carbon steel used in these knives was inexpensive however as you say it would sharpen like a razor, when stroped about 3 times on anything hard ( even a rock when camping). These were knives made to be used. Lt

The original KAMP KING knives in carbon steel were made in the Providence RI plant until the plant closed in the early 1980's.

The KAMP KING knives were then produced in the Ireland plant but they were switched to (UGH!!) stainless steel. Don't know if they are still in production today.

You can usually find the older carbon KAMP KINGs by the gazillions at antique shows and flea markets (I just saw three at one shop this morning).

I bought a brandy spankin' new Kamp King last year. Great carbon steel.

Back