Improved cord wrap for CS True Flight Thrower

So yesterday I decided to improve the cord wraps on the handles of my CS TFTs. I did the following:

000cp9tc

Hardly pretty, but it's a vast improvement over my last attempt at handle wraps, which were themselves a big improvement over the originals. The knives are much more comfortable to hold now, and they seem to spin more slowly; they take about a foot more to do one full revolution. All of a sudden my stick percentage has gone way up.

This all may be old news to you experts here, but the tiny amount of extra weight and/or air resistance seems to have made a significant difference in how well they throw.

Much fun. And I'll never make fun of "M4ll N1nj4 t4ct1c4l cord handles" again.

AtomSphere said:
I'll love the feeling of a thick handle! was it quite a headache to tie it that way?

The first one, yeah, before I got it all figured out. Immobilizing the blade in a vise is a good idea; if you aren't careful you could hurt yourself otherwise :eek:

The knots near the blade almost look like they make a guard . Are the stiff enough tp act as one ? How did you wrap it ? Pics , Pics .

Kevin the grey said:
The knots near the blade almost look like they make a guard . Are the stiff enough tp act as one ? How did you wrap it ? Pics , Pics .

The guard was sort of an unintended consequence, as I didn't really know how to finish that style of wrap, and so I kind of winged it with a couple of reef knots.

The wrap isn't quite tight enough for them to serve as guards; I'm going to have to re-do them fairly soon, I think, and will take pictures then :).

Thanks R:D: Its an interesting braid . I look forawrd to it .

There is a knot free finishing technique that uses a loop . Its used in serving bowstrings . you wait until you have a couple of inches left and lay a loop of string underneath the wraps you haven,t done yet . do your wraps .when your wraps are fininshed you have the loop closed end on the finished end and two free ends where you started wrapping . you stick the free end of your wraps through the loop and keep tension on the free end . then get a pair of pliars and pull on the two free ends at the same time . This will pull the loop and free end of the wraps underneath the wraps . I f your wrapping is tigh enough it will hold the free end snug underneath the wraps . It appears your wrapping has no end and no knots . If you want I can scare up a better explanation and some pics .

I,ll try to scare them up today . Let me stress that the wraps over the pulled in free end must be tight to bind on the free end . There must be at least an inch and a half of wraps to have enough pressure to work . I would have the blade well secured in a vice as for it to have enough pressure to work the loop will be hard to pull .

Kevin the grey said:
I,ll try to scare them up today . Let me stress that the wraps over the pulled in free end must be tight to bind on the free end . There must be at least an inch and a half of wraps to have enough pressure to work . I would have the blade well secured in a vice as for it to have enough pressure to work the loop will be hard to pull .

It sounds like a whipping technique, which is how they kept ropes from fraying back in the days before meltable synthetic fibers; you lay a loop of smaller cord flat on the rope near the end, wrap, or "whip" the smaller cord upwards over the loop, stick the end in, and pull it under the wraps...

RD it sounds like you have the right name . As has been said it is also used in archery . The only drawback here is if the braiding is at all open the tucked under end may be visible . I enjoy learning new finishing methods . I am not a terribly proficient braider . I may try my hand at wrapping some handles onto my S:K:S: bayonets . I will eventually have the metal cross hatched sheaths welded on over the tangs . Until then the bare tangs bug me .

http://runningdogknife.homestead.com/cordwrap.html

Actually I was asking a buddy about wrapping with rawhide and this technique got mentioned which is exactly what we were talking about . This is a flat wrap which is proabably the best style for this finishing technique . It will give lots of pressure evenly over the entire cord . There is nothing that says we can,t experiment . I hope the link works . If not I,ll get you there . Remeber keep your wraps tight and give yourself lots of loop ends to grab on to . I wrap so tight it takes pliars and lots of tugging to get that free end underneath . I usually secure the knife in a vice to do this so the blade can,t get in the way. Good luck .

This must be the most exhausting wrap on a handle using a 100lb fibre fishing line!
Took about 10 minutes for each knife!:yawn:

I kindda hate and like the idea of a all silver throwing piece. The good is, no handle to break. The bad is, at a glance, sometimes u don't know where is the handle or that it doesn't looks as nice..

I initially used electrical tape to tape my handle up. I found that it "looks" so much better but in the end, it screws up my release as the electrical tape seems to be a bit sticky towards your hand. And worst, it get cuts very very easily.

Then i browse through my house to find some sort of a small string. That was when i came across the fishing line:p Decided to wrap it up following Kelvin's guide and then, woo hoo!! After that, the release felt really accurate and precise. Oh yea, if you are wondering whats the layer beneath the fishing line, its the electrical tape. I wrap a thin layer of electrical tape for sound suppression. Trust me, it really suppresses the sound quite a bit when i get a glance back

I'm new to the forum and was curious of what your opinons of the CS True Flight Thrower are. I have the 14 inch Pro Flight Thrower and am considering getting True Flight. Anyone have both and can compare their durability, throwing action etc?

Thanks!!!

Trust me, it really suppresses the sound quite a bit when i get a glance back
Quote AtomSphere

REPLY : Does it suppress the sound of your screams when it glances back into your leg ? L:O:L

Nice Job . I have some braided fishing line that looks similar . I can,t find it now but it was called :Northern something .

I too have a silver throwing knife . The lady who sold it to me said it was sterling silver . I kinda doubt it as that would make it pretty soft . Maybe I,ll try to spruce it up with a handle like yours .

Kevin the grey said:
Trust me, it really suppresses the sound quite a bit when i get a glance back
Quote AtomSphere

REPLY : Does it suppress the sound of your screams when it glances back into your leg ? L:O:L

Nice Job . I have some braided fishing line that looks similar . I can,t find it now but it was called :Northern something .

I too have a silver throwing knife . The lady who sold it to me said it was sterling silver . I kinda doubt it as that would make it pretty soft . Maybe I,ll try to spruce it up with a handle like yours .

Well, i forsee that when i shout, all the animals in the forest will follow evacuations procedures:D

I scrap the fishing line handle as it broke a few times. Now i purchased cheap 3mm shoe laces in a sports shop close by. Less than a toonie, i can wrap all 3 of my knives. And hei, after 2 throwing sessions, non broke! :cool:

If you see drapes thrown out in the garbage they can have very tough thin cords on them . The old time bow makers used to make bow strings and handle wraps with them .

Back