In Memorium - Bill Martino and Rusty Slate

Jebadiah_Smith said:
Sometimes I feel like the Great Men are leaving this world faster than they are entering. Looking at my generation, I see nobody of Uncle Bill's caliber. No Teddy Roosevelts, no George Washingtons, no Pattons or Martin Luther Kings.
Maybe not, but I see a jeb Smith who has been touched by Uncle Bill and there's no telling where that influence may go, either in yourself or your future generations.
A seed well planted brings many things to fruition and oft times better than what was originally planted.:D

Yvsa said:
Maybe not, but I see a jeb Smith who has been touched by Uncle Bill and there's no telling where that influence may go, either in yourself or your future generations.
A seed well planted brings many things to fruition and oft times better than what was originally planted.:D

I could never hope to be as great a person as Uncle Bill.

Jebadiah_Smith said:
I could never hope to be as great a person as Uncle Bill.
Ya just gotta remember that Uncle Bill didn't start out perfect. Uncle Bill strived too be the best that he could be and was changed while living in Nepal. Many of us go through similar changes. I am no longer the person I once was and I am so very, very, grateful for that. You just haven't had your epiphany yet, but you will Jeb, you sure enough will. Don't set your sights too low my young friend.:D ;)

munk said:
When an honest man dies, it shocks me.
I think they've always been rare, but they are also known.

munk

The good thing is that often good men find one another, and that is what we have here.

Good women are also welcome, as long as you don't insist on sitting closest to the fire, we have to spit someplace...

Yvsa said:
Ya just gotta remember that Uncle Bill didn't start out perfect. Uncle Bill strived too be the best that he could be and was changed while living in Nepal. Many of us go through similar changes. I am no longer the person I once was and I am so very, very, grateful for that. You just haven't had your epiphany yet, but you will Jeb, you sure enough will. Don't set your sights too low my young friend.:D ;)

I guess you could be right. But theres no way to know right now. Not to mention, I could be splattered before any epiphanies happen ;) . Please call be by my real name, Brian. Jebs good for an internet handle, but Brian is, I dunno... real.

BruiseLee said:
You have to aim lower.

Look... you're already greater than me.

Its hillarious that you posted that at the exact time Yvsa did.

Bruise, I would be fortunate to have as much greatness in me as you have in one of your seven hairs.

Jebadiah_Smith said:
Sometimes I feel like the Great Men are leaving this world faster than they are entering. Looking at my generation, I see nobody of Uncle Bill's caliber. No Teddy Roosevelts, no George Washingtons, no Pattons or Martin Luther Kings.

Give 'em time, Jeb. I think that we have some sleepers amongst us.

Yvsa - thanks. That meant a lot.

To everyone else - well, what do I have to say? Keep this thread going, folks. I don't know about the rest of you but it's making me smile when I wasn't planning on smiling.

Uncle Bill is the reason I started hanging around here. His spirit is the reason I stay.

A couple years ago, my first pet rabbit died. I was pretty crushed, I had not had any pets in a long time and had never had one die on me before. I had a dog that just never came home before, but this rabbit died in my wife's arms. Most people didn't really get how we could be so hurt by a dead rabbit. They may have understood a dog or a cat, but a rabbit? So I posted about it and got a lot of nice replies and encouragment. The one that meant the most was Uncle Bill saying he was sending up smoke for the rabbit. I showed the post to my wife and she cried, she couldn't believe that a man would do that for someone elses rabbit he had never seen, especially after so much indifference from others. Uncle Bill could touch anyone I think. He was one of the few true MEN I have met. He embodied so much of what I aspire to be. Honest, kind, tolerant, humorous, humble and strong. God bless him.

Listen to yourselves, re-read the discussion ... and you might realize that UB's not really gone. What's a body anyway, except clothes for the soul?

Tom.

Bruise, I would be fortunate to have as much greatness in me as you have in one of your seven hairs.

Brian, humility must be essential. Add love and you're there.

You ain't got so far to go, friend.

Hell, let me say this. My exwife called on the phone yesterday. We hadn't actually spoken to each other in maybe 5 years. She sounded so much happier and healthier than when we were together! She said I sounded so much more relaxed and healthy.

And we are. It took me hard drugs. It took her 5 years of therapy- but we're at the same place.

It's seen said, that once you get on the path, you can't get off, you can only go slower or faster. You fly, buddy. That's Bill's real legacy to us, realizing the nobility we each possess, if we only realize it, and reach out in love to our world.

Love,

John

Picture_24a.JPG

This picture is of Kami Sherpa, Yangdu, Bill, and me, taken in the parking area outside his trailer in Reno in March of 03.

Below is another of Bill's stories I really enjoyed.

The Story of Ali

I first met Ali Tamang years ago when I was living at the
Tushita Rest House in
Kathmandu. The place had once served
as the US Embassy in
Nepal but as usual the US personnel had
moved on to bigger and better things. It was a modest
establishment that catered to budget travellers, mostly
climbers, trekkers and upscale volunteer workers. I was the only
American residing there and one of the few permanent guests.

The first time I saw Ali he looked little different from any of the
myriad of street urchins one runs across in
Kathmandu and all of
Nepal for that matter. 10 or 11 years old, dressed in rags,
barefoot, lice in the thick black hair -- and tearful. He was
mopping the cement floor of the dining area. My usual waiter,
Govinda, brought my coffee and I asked him about the new
boy.

"Sad case," Govinda said. "His name is Ali Tamang. His parents
died just recently leaving him and his 14 year old sister alone on
the farm. Of course, two children cannot run a farm so they
came to
Kathmandu to try to find work. He's young and knows
nothing of hotel work but the manager took him on out of pity."

A common story in Nepal. Ali was at the bottom of the pecking
order in the hotel and most of the other boys tormented him
and gave him all the worst possible work -- cleaning the
charpis, mopping, all the dirty work. Of course, it broke my
heart as did most of what I saw in
Nepal.

One morning when I was having my coffee I called Ali over to
my table and spoke with him. He told me his story and was very
concerned about his well being and future -- if any. A hotel boy
barked at him to get back to work. I told the boy he was at my
table by my own invitation and to leave him alone. The boy was
wise enough to do nothing but nod and smile. I was one of the
few who left "boxies" -- tips -- and as such was a preferred
customer. If one is wise one does not bite the hand that feeds.
Upon leaving I stuffed a 20 rupia note into Ali's hand. "For me?"
he said, astounded. "For you and you alone," I said. Maybe 50
or 75 cents at the time but perhaps a week's pay for Ali.

Next AM when I had my coffee I asked that Ali be my waiter.
The other boys balked, saying he was not a waiter at all but a
common "chami" (cleaning man or janitor -- often the caste to
which I was assigned by the Brahmins). I called the manager,
Prem, over and put my request to him. The "don't bite the hand
that feeds" wisdom came into play again. I was probably the
only permanent guest in the hotel. I took many meals at the
restaurant and LEFT BOXIES. I drank beer and khukuri rum in
the evening with a group of Nepali friends and LEFT BOXIES.
Sometimes I would bring guests from the Peace Corps and buy
them drinks and dinner and LEFT BOXIES. "If you want this boy
for your waiter you may certainly have him, however, it is my
duty to warn you that he has no experience as a waiter so if
your service is poor you have no one to blame but yourself." I
said, "bringing a pot of coffee requires little skill. I'll take my
chances."

And so Ali became my coffee server for the mornings and was
able to earn the coveted boxies left by the crazy queerie. Ali
got rid of the lice and was able to buy come chopples so he
didn't have to go barefoot and got a better shirt and pants. He
still slept on the bare concrete floor at night with no blanket or
pillow. Not an easy life being an orphan hotel boy.

Fall drifted into winter and Christmas was soon upon on us.
Some creative fellow on the hotel staff made a cardboard
profile of Santa and painted it red and white and set it in the
restaurant. A red and blue light bulb decorated the Santa. Not
much, but something, and enough to bring the Spirit of
Christmas upon me.

A couple of days before Christmas I spoke to Prem. "I want to
use Ali for 3 or 4 hours today. I need some help at the market."
"Of course, Bill Sahib. No problem."

So Ali and I went to the open market in Assan Bazaar. I bought
him some jeans and shirts, sports shoes, socks, a good warm
jacket, blanket and pillow. At first he didn't understand what I
was doing but when it finally dawned on him these items were
for him I've never seen a happier boy. When you have nothing it
is strange just how much joy a couple of simple gifts can
generate. Bottom line, Ali went back to the Tushita looking like
a jewel with a smile that was worth a thousand times more than
the few dollars I'd spent.

Back at the hotel I had a little talk with Ali. I said, "Son, nothing
in this life is free and neither are these clothes I bought you
today. I expect you to repay me. From this day on I want you
to deliver my morning coffee to my room. At
7Am I want to hear
you knock on the door and I want that coffee to be hot and
strong as you know I like it."

"I'll be there every morning" Ali said -- and so he was and with
that great smile.

When Yangdu and I got married I took Ali from the Tushita and
he became our "house boy." It was his duty to clean the house,
do the shopping, run errands and be general handyman and
gofer. He became like our own son and we loved him and he
loved us.

I had to leave Nepal and return to the US and make
arrangements for Yangdu to join me. A life in
Nepal seemed
impossible for us. I could not tolerate the government
corruption which required a song and dance I refused to do in
order to stay and gain employment in the country. Ali and
Yangdu stayed together and waited. Finally, I got all the papers
together and Yangdu joined me in
San Diego. Ali went to work
for Yangdu's sister, Sanu. He lasted a year or two and
disappeared but it was not to be the end of Ali.

Years later Yangdu and I returned to Nepal to visit. For some
reason I walked into a trekking shop in Thamel. A young man in
the group of Nepali trekking leaders waiting for cutomers jumped
up, ran over and hugged me. "Bill, Sahib! It's me, Ali!"

The ragged lice ridden boy had turned into a tall, very
handsome young man, well dressed, polite and still with that
broad overpowering smile. He turned to the other men in the
shop and said, "Boys, I want to tell you this man is like a father
to me. When I was a poor hotel boy he took me in and treated
me as his own. I will never forget what he did and will always
remember him -- And, now he has returned to see me again."

We had a wonderful reunion and Ali told us of what he had
done. He had learned a smattering of English when he was with
me and had listened to advice I had given him. He had gone to
school part time and had perfected his English. He changed his
name to better fit a trekker's image, and had got on in a
trekking shop as a kitchen boy. He worked hard and learned the
routes and as much as he could about trekking. This along with
his English language ability soon got him promoted to a trekking
guide. He studied and learned Japanese so he could take
Japanese trekkers on journeys through the
Himalayas and had
become a top guide -- well paid and respected in trekking
community. He had overcome great adversity and had become
by any standard a success.

And therein lies the reward and what a great reward it is. Many
thanks, Little One, for making my life so much better.

I forgot one thing: What has this to do with khukuris?

On September 30,2000 Bill got ahold of me and said "Hey, I got this special Gelbu Special in, do you want it before I put pix up on the Forum? Money was tight so I hesitated and told him to go ahead and put up the pix and I would decide after seeing it. As I should have known- it was already a done deal.

He wrote in the post- "This is a 21 inch, 1.75 pound Chiruwa style Gelbu Special that has everything right and nothing wrong. The blade sings when I put the file to it and when I ship it I will have some misgivings.........Sanu has the edge hardened up to 58 -- 59 Rc and it will take a couple of hairs off my arm......I can't say enough good things about this knife."

That blade has been calling to me since Monday morning. I didn't know until today why. It said "Get me out and do something productive with me!!!"

That khukuri is named in Nepalese- Pauji (The Warrior), and will stay bright and sharp as long as I live, its Llight always reminding me of the Light Bill brought into my life.

Patrick Flynn

That's a great story, Howard, and one I hadn't heard before. Not a bit of it is surprising, though.

Finn said:
On September 30,2000 Bill got ahold of me and said "Hey, I got this special Gelbu Special in, do you want it before I put pix up on the Forum? Money was tight so I hesitated and told him to go ahead and put up the pix and I would decide after seeing it. As I should have known- it was already a done deal.

He wrote in the post- "This is a 21 inch, 1.75 pound Chiruwa style Gelbu Special that has everything right and nothing wrong. The blade sings when I put the file to it and when I ship it I will have some misgivings.........Sanu has the edge hardened up to 58 -- 59 Rc and it will take a couple of hairs off my arm......I can't say enough good things about this knife."

That blade has been calling to me since Monday morning. I didn't know until today why. It said "Get me out and do something productive with me!!!"

That khukuri is named in Nepalese- Pauji (The Warrior), and will stay bright and sharp as long as I live, its Llight always reminding me of the Light Bill brought into my life.

Patrick Flynn

A Chiruwa Gelbu Special, by Sanu! Finn, you are a lucky man. Today that knife wouldn't have lasted long enough for you to get even a glimpse of it. When I think of the deals I missed by coming so late to the forum! I have well over a hundred HI blades, all bought at the point in Uncle Bill and HI's development where he didn't have to call anyone, but just put a pic of the knives up and they sold themselves like hotcakes.

I envy you very much for having been around when the pace was more leisurely and beauties like that GS could be considered before being snapped up. Glad for you that you have such a special knife hand picked for you by Uncle Bill himself!

Regards,

Norm

"Just let the dust bunnies to the maintenance. "
"The dust bunnies are ferocious with strangers."

Svashtar,

I do feel fortunate, and that khukuri now means even more to me. I was able to quote Bill because I printed out the post page with pix so I could feed my anticipation at the time. I have a special file for anything connected with my khukuris and blades in general.

On the way to the post office to pick the khukuri up I had the distinct feeling I was on my way to meet an old friend- unusual for a trip to the post office. I told Bill about that after getting back and he understood perfectly.

I have been an infrequent forum contributor for some time. Life has stepped in more than once but has had the opposite effect this time. I have maintained contact with Bill though, and feel acutely the void his physical presence has left. I do feel his presence will continue through the special gift he has made to all of us by making possible the sharing of the spirit, beauty, and culture of the people who create the khukuris through the product of their work. 4-5 years isn't really very long, but a lot has happened to the forum and it's members in that time. I'm not trying to write an eulogy, but I hope my story helps some have a better picture of the man and his work.

All the Best

Patrick

"Just let the dust bunnies to the maintenance. "
"The dust bunnies are ferocious with strangers."

I try not to let the dust bunnies multiply around the kuks- they seem to be ferocious with my sinuses. ;)

Back