In Memory of James K Mattis - Please leave your thoughts here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DA** I just got back from three weeks on the road with the wife on vacation and this is the first thread I find.

I had several dealings with James and got to meet him at this last Blade Show. I was looking forward to doing more in the near future too. He really was a fine upstanding Gentleman, in the ture sense of the word. He will be missed.

Toni, if you are reading this my prayers are with you.

------------------
Dwight

It's a fine line between "a hobby" and "mental illness".

I am sure that James had no idea just how much he touched our lives. I could go on and on about the different ways he has influenced me in the last four years or so that I have known him. In fact, I just bought a Calypso Jr a few days ago and thought of him when I did it, and I did not know yet that he was gone.

He is, and was, in many of our daily thoughts. He truly did have a profound effect on my life. The lessons he taught me will serve me the rest of my days. He is missed.

Hello all,

I was lucky to have had the opportunity to talk with James once, and send many e-mails. He was a great, fun, smart guy. He made us all better; we are all lessened by his loss. I hope when this thread is closed that someone prints it out and sends it to his family. They deserve to know how well he was liked,

Your in a better place now James.

This whole thing..................FUC*ING SUCKS!!!!!!

I tried to post three times, but couldn't find the right words. I'll miss you James.

Joe

i just came back from playng soldier for a while and that is what i see on the forum..
and it makes me so so sad to hear the terrible news.
i saw james greatness a year ago when my freind eduard bradichansky was killed, james was so simpathetic and reached out i could hug him he practically brought me to tears with his kindness.
i was previleged to have the chance to thank him in person last shot show.
james may you rest in peace you wonderful man.
and to his family and wife my deepest condolence and my heart is with you and your pain.
and as bram said..we will honur him next COMMNDMENTS here in israel.
the knife community has lost one of it's finest members.
guy rafaeli-scorpio

i just came back from playng soldier for a while and that is what i see on the forum..
and it makes me so so sad to hear the terrible news.
i saw james greatness a year ago when my freind eduard bradichansky was killed, james was so simpathetic and reached out i could hug him he practically brought me to tears with his kindness.
i was previleged to have the chance to thank him in person last shot show.
james may you rest in peace you wonderful man.
and to his family and wife my deepest condolence and my heart is with you and your pain.
and as bram said..we will honur him next COMMNDMENTS here in israel.
the knife community has lost one of it's finest members.
guy rafaeli-scorpio

My thoughts and prayers are with his family. I believe he has gone to a better place.

One way a person's life is judged is by how that person is remembered. It is obvious by reading some of these posts, that James lead a good life and made a very positive impact. I am thankful that his path crossed mine, even it was for a brief moment over the phone. It left a very happy memory for me.

Jim was first class all the way and will sorely be missed. May all of us find it in ourselves to be the kind of upstanding, generous, and gentle person that Jim always was............ Goodbye Sir, you will never be forgotten.

May God bless and keep you and yours James. You will be missed.

I've been away from the forums for a while ( again due more illness problems, It Sucketh), and Carl Jacobsen just told me about an hour ago about Jim's death. I'm so shocked I'm incoherent...

It's like hearing that your favourite uncle died three weeks ago, and the funeral and everything's over with, and you missed it all.

Carl and I spoke for a long time tonight about Mr. Mattis and our memories of him. We'd met him at various knife shows, and had dealt with him many times over the phone and via email. (Between the two of us, I don't know how many knives we've bought from him. I think James got a kick out of selling me a knife to give to Carl for Christmas, and then turning around and selling Carl a knife to give to me for Christmas! And neither of us would know until we opened the packages and said, "Did you get this from Mr. Mattis?" and then we'd both laugh...)

And Jim's posts, both to newsgroups (in the Bad Ol' Days) and this forum were a delight and a joy to read--always a voice of respect and kindness, always a voice both humourous and wise, always a voice of wry reason in sometimes tumultuous threads.

How could such a voice be stilled?

My first knives came from Chai Cutlery a few years ago. My most recent knives were purchased from him only a few months ago. My very first introduction to Sharp Shiny Toys was reading the wonderful paragraphs on Chai's web site (which Carl had pointed me to in an effort to explain his obsession with SST). James has been like a mentor to me, as he has surely been to all of us.

As Carl put it: How could someone so full of life, so full of the joy and wonder of life, and so integeral to the lives of so many people, be so suddenly gone? It's just impossible to comprehend.

I do feel as though he was a favourite uncle of mine. He was always one of the first to answer my posts; and in his posts, his conversations at shows, and his phone calls, he always had a personal warmth, a connectedness to others that he showed in his words, his humour, and his manner. He liked to hear about my native heritage, and I remember a few times when he embarrassed the heck out of me on the forums by quoting from something I'd written and saying how cool it was--this, from a man I myself looked up to!

And one post, for some reason, is just choking me up at its very memory--the thread where we were talking about the kind of music we liked, and he listed some of his "odd tastes", and then I listed some of my own, and he wrote back to grumble that I'd now caused him to go and spend a bunch of money on native american music.

And in other threads, threads I did not even care much about, I would read things just because it had James's name on it. That's how much I respected his wisdom and his way of seeing things.

I learned so much from him, not just about the technical aspect of knives, but about the philosophy of carrying one, the history, the place of blades in our past and in our present lives...

I'm blithering, I'm sorry. Told you I was incoherent
frown.gif

Toni, as a woman, my heart goes out to you at the loss of your beloved partner and friend. As a Knife Knut, my heart goes out to all of us forum members who have lost such a wise and unique voice in our community.

James, if you can read this, I just burnt a bunch of sage from the Southern California desert near your home in your honour. I've got a candle lit in your memory. Next to it and the sage are a few of the many knives that came to my home from yours (not the least of which are my beloved Spyderco kitchen knives, which you and Carl chose personally for me).

I hope you're having a great time with all our bladewise ancestors, and I hope your spirit will continue to guide all of us who carry a blade, so that we will always carry wisely; so that we will learn to laugh when we cut ourselves because we were not respectful enough of the sharp edges; so that we will always pass on the knowledge of the usefulness of sharp-edged tools to those around us.

I'm honoured and privileged to have known you and to have learned my love of the blade in part from you.

yah tey, Jim Mattis. And Toni, may you know joy at your husband's memory, and peace at the knowledge of all the lives he has touched.

Count mine amongst them.
Sandi
aka silverwing

[This message has been edited by silverwing (edited 10-08-2000).]

PS....

I just finished reading all 14 pages of our forum's beautiful tribute to James Mattis.

Never again can it be said that the Internet creates a sense of false community...here are hundreds of people whose lives have been genuinely touched, and changed, and bettered, simply by reading the postings of a single man, a man whom many have never met in person, never even spoken to over the phone...

A remarkable legacy from a truly remarkable human being.

In thinking more about memories of James, one stands out in my mind for purely selfish reasons: At one of the shows where we talked, he had on his table a beautiful fixed blade that he had made himself, called the Otter. I mooned over it during the entire show, but did not have the cash to buy it. Ever since then, I've been meaning to buy that knife for my birthday--but then I got very ill, and on disability there is not much money for sharp shiny toys.

Now that I have the money again, it's too late for me to do him the honour of owning and using that knife.

I'm sorry I waited so long, Jim.
frown.gif

What I remember most clearly is his pleasure in seeing me handle that little knife, and how hard he tried to find a way for me to be able to afford it. It was so pretty, and fit so beautifully in my small hands...and the attention to detail was stunning, down to the mosaic pins carefully inlaid and polished. When I played with it, he positively beamed with joy.

I'm so very sorry it's too late now to own that piece which came from his own craft, his own hands. In its simple, beautiful lines, perfect craftsmanship, and inherent usefulness, it embodied everything that is good and wonderful about James himself and about knifepeople in general...

Two lessons from this: never underestimate the power your words alone can have on people you may never get to meet; and never put off till later anything that tells someone how much you appreciate their presence in the world.

James, I'm sorry I did not let you talk me into buying the Otter. When I get to the Garden where you are, maybe you can have it waiting for me anyway?

Meanwhile, I'll try to live by the lessons above in your memory.

thank you for everything.
silverwing

PPS...Walt, your post was beautiful, thank you.

Hello, When I found out I was completly shocked!!! I met James the first time 3 years ago at a knife show in Pasedena, CA. Very friendly, honest and decent man!!! I most recently saw him at the blade show west in Costa Mesa, CA. He was a man of wisdom and extra knowledge when it came to knives. He also had alot of extra knowledge in most other areas of life(A very intelligent man). He was also very generous and donated a portion of each sale to worthy organizations. This is a serious loss for his family and the rest of the knife community, not to mention the rest of the world. My heartfelt feelings of loss go out to his family.
frown.gif
frown.gif
God Bless

------------------
Jonathan Chubb

Silverwing, it's good to see you posting again and I hope you're feeling better.

I thought you might like to hear what James thought of you? I asked James one night on Chat if he had ever met you, and he said yes he had? Now, several of us were curious as to what you looked like, he said, "She's beautiful, not your model type, but beautiful..." James, like many of us here are big fans of yours.
wink.gif

OK, now i'm crying, PhiL...

thank you for telling me that. i'm overwhelmed...wow.

'scuse me. there's no more tissue next to the keyboard, gotta go find some.

silverwing

afterthought: obviously, i ought to peek in on the chat sessions. can't believe you guys were talking about ME instead of KNIVES
wink.gif
that's a big compliment!

Sure, stop by any time. Chat is great. I'm very glad I got on there when I did - it gave me the opportuntiy to talk with James a few times in real-time, before the possibility of doing that was lost forever. James, you are truly missed - we need your cool head over in the Politics forum right to calm some people down, but, alas, 'tis not to be.

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

Greetings all.

I never had the personal relationship with James K. Mattis that some of you had, but he touched my life, and I felt compelled to write to let Mrs. Mattis and the rest of you know.

I stumbled upon Chai Cutlery's website back in the late summer. I browsed there frequently, as I have been planning to purchase some new toys and was searching around the Web for information and pricing.

I had been away from the computer for a few weeks, and when I got back on, I was having difficulty bringing up Chai Cutlery on my list of Bookmarks. At last, I found a way to access the E-Commerce page. I found out just a few days ago that James was gone.

I felt a loss, and a terrible sadness for a man I had never met, nor spoken to, and this puzzled me at first. I spent the better part of a sleepless weekend thinking on this, and mourning the loss of James. I finally came to see what it is about this man that touched me so, and why I felt so sad at his passing.

I came here to this Forum that James was a moderator on, to speak my mind and express my sorrow and condolences to the Mattis Family.

The two things that really struck me about James K. Mattis are his strong faith and his wonderful sense of humor. I feel differently about faith and religion than he did, but it was impossible to pore over his website without seeing his tremendous faith in his
G-D and really getting the message that this was a GOOD man. A really decent human being. I am truly sorry that I never got the chance to meet him in person. I am sure that we would have become fast friends.
It is so difficult to see a good person pass to the other side, when there are so many people who cause nothing but pain in this world, yet continue to walk the planet.
Alas, Life is not fair. At least we can take some comfort in the fact that James is in a better place now, and will in his own way continue to watch over his family and friends who are left behind.

I really enjoyed his sense of humor and how it came through in his words on his web pages. Many times I laughed out loud at something he had written, no doubt with a mischievous twinkle in his eye. I bet he was a real character in person!
wink.gif

Mrs. Mattis, please know that time will eventually dull your pain, and that James will continue to watch over you and your family from his vantage point up above. Your husband was loved, and will be missed by many, many people. May the Goddess bless you and keep you safe in this your time of need and sorrow.

James, I just want to say thank you. You touched more lives than you possibly could know. You are missed.
frown.gif

Thank you all for the opportunity to share with you how I am feeling. I am touched by how many friends James had, and now I am no longer mystified as to why his passing leaves me with such a sadness inside.

Respectfully yours,
-Thomas

P.S.- Walt, your words were beautiful, and I was moved to tears by your eloquent words on the nature of death. Thank you for sharing your stories with us! If anyone is able to get the memorial knives for James together, please contact me. I want one very much.
Thanks again,
-T.

------------------
"Life is uncertain --Always carry TWO blades..."

-Thomas the Terrible

A very good and just man is gone. A great loss to us all. May he rest in peace.

Rolf

------------------

I have been away a lot lately and have missed much. But, Having missed this is more painfull than words can say.

To the Family of James Mattis: I met James at a knife show in Las Vegas and we talked for a little while. His integrity, good character and friendly manner were quite apparent from the outset and I enjoyed the short time that I had with him. I am sad for your loss and know that no words can convey what you must be feeling at this time. James must have been a very Rich Man. Maybe the Richest of all. That is if you caunt riches by the number of friends you have and the lives you touch. There is no greater tribute than good family and friends and James will be remembered by all of us on here.

I have not read all of the posts here, but I would like to see a biography of James on a new post. Maybe a close friend on the forum since this may be too painfull for a family member.

Your friend, Dennis, aka, Cobalt

Truly, a great loss. My condolence to the family. He will live through the positive effect that his presencce has had on all of us.

Sincerely,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back