in search of a good tomahawk

hihello,

New to the forum here. I have a couple questions:

1) Can someone please recommend some good pipe-tomahawk that can be used for chopping wood by day and smoking around a campfire by night as well? IE: a pipehawk that can actually be used for both chopping and smoking ;-]

2) What are some good brand/custom hawks that are meant for actual field use?

-T

Several..Stuart Willis, he's on this forum and others. Alan Longmire as well. They both make real nice pipe hawks. Theres more but I know more about these two than the others and trust their work.

wow both these guys do beautiful work. Stuart Willis, has no prices on his website and I couldnt find Alan Longmire's website.

Please advise
-T

I dont think Alan has a website anymore. You can reach him on D.foggs bladesmith forums I know, and Im sure you could messgae Stuart here and he would talk with you about it..
There are some other guys like Joseph Szilaski, Dan Winkler and the House Bros.who do wonderfully fantastic work as well but brace yourself when you look at their prices,LOL(Im not knocking thier prices at all as they have a stellar reputation, just saying its presentation/movie prop quaility stuff priced accordingly)

Ill add just a few more notes then leave you alone :D A pipe has to be made right to be used. Dont skimp if you want a real smoker and cutter if you can help it. Get a ash or hickory haft, curly maple is beautiful when finshed right but wont stand up to use with a pipe stem running thru it :D Good luck :thumbup:

Last edited:
I can pretty much assure you that smoking from a steel bowl will taste like s###. ;-)))
At least the long stem will cool the smoke a bit though. I'd go for a poll hawk and a real pipe ;-)

Regards

Robin

Back