indentation?

All right guys... you're the experts, I'm the layman... what's the indentation at the base of the kukuri for??? (It could be obvious but so far I can't find a decent pic)

Thanks,
-Kevin

------------------
A true friend stabs you in the front.

Hi Kevin, and welcome to the forum. The indentation at the base of the khukuri you mentioned, is that the cutout area of the blade just above the ferrule (kajo) and handle? I'm not an expert, but if this what you speak of there will be some answers forthcoming!

Glad to serve....Dan

All right guys... no one ever answered my question and I have since ordered a S#1 so I'll need to know (comes next friday, 18)... Lt. Dan knew what indentaion I was talking about, but didn't (or at least I think he didn't) know what it was, so I anyone does know feel free to enlighten me (I'm sure craig would know?).

Thanks guys,
-Kevin

------------------
A true friend stabs you in the front.

Thanks for confirmation. It's called the cho and is part of traditional khukuri design. One function is that it will catch fluids that would otherwise tend to run right onto the handle.

When you get your khukuri you'll notice the steel between the cho and the handle is very thick and blunt, and is then sharp from the other side of the cutout to the blade tip. There are lots of other speculations about it and the handle rings as well, but the true reasons for them are uncertain and perhaps lost in the walls of time.

There are many excellent design features of this knife, and is about as close to functional perfection when you discover them. You might also consider getting the Gurkha Steel video; it will open up a whole new world of understanding to you.

Hope this helps....Dan

Kevin, hi! Go back down a few posts in this forum and open SYMBOL OF KALI posted by GOLOK about the beginning of May. You can be sure you're not the only one looking for an explanation to the "indentation".

Is that an SN1 you ordered? Read the latest post on the SN1 project and please let us know what you think.

Back