Inkosi vs. Umnumzaan

What are the main technical differences between these knives? I'm not referring to size differences. I'd like to know which one of them in your opinion has "better" features for long term durability and maintenance free characteristics.

The Inkosi has a stop pin that meets the blade's tang while the Um has thumb lugs with o-rings on them that serve that lock the blade in place when open. The Um has an overtravel stop on the lockbar while the Inkosi does not. The Um is available in drop point and tanto and the Inkosi is available in drop point now and an Insingo blade shape will be released at Blade Show. The pocket clip on the Inkosi falls on the handle and not the lock bar and the Um's falls on the lockbar.

The Inkosi would be more maintenance free simply because you don't have to worry about any O-rings. Other than that, either will have a long maintenance free life.
Both share a lot of the same build specs.

Replacing -006 (aka #60) O rings every now and again is no big deal, though technically yes, it counts as "more" maintenance. The O rings give a unique muted "thug" when the 'Zaan opens. The Inkosi has a great mechanical "click."

With regards to blade stops, my mind wants to believe the thumb studs of the 'Zaan would provide superior longevity to the stop pin of the Inkosi...purely in theory.

CPP's summary above is pretty good. I would add that while the Inkosi has a cut-out on the show scale to access the lock bar, the Umnumzaan has a raised flange on the lock bar itself.

It you are trying to choose between the two, you can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:
In regards to the stop pin VS the studs as blade stops, i'd have to disagree there. I've seen reports (mind you this was ages ago) of a few Zaan thumb studs breaking due to some tolerance issues at the factory. It was fixed tho and acknowledged by Chris Reeve. Although, at the end of the day, i'd trust a huge nested solid stop pin over press fit studs in a blade any day for longevity and overall impact tolerance. There's been a few cracked blades due to thumb stud/stop pins due to tolerance issues, can find some over at the Zero Tolerance forum. At the end of the day and with the current Zaans i guess it's a non issue as this was a once off, but just my 2 cents. To be honest even tho i wont buy a Zaan because i don't like studs that act as stop pins, i still think the Zaan is the best looking CRK ever made, so tough looking. My dream EDC: CRK Zaan with pivot bushing, Sebenza 21 lockbar and huge solid stop pin.

M Mick_1KRR great pionts about the thumb studs. Way to burst my bubble--lol! Stop pin wear is a real thing too, however.

I have a similar dream: Umnumzaan with pivot bushing, a bit of internal milling, and pocket clip off the lock bar. I like the studs the way they are though. :)

Last edited:
My personal experience is that the inkosi is easier to open. The 'zaan has just a slightly different geometry and was more difficult to open. The inkosi (to me) has more fool proof opening.

The Umnumzaan's blade stops should result in a 'stronger' lockup with greater resistance to lateral pressure. However, if one were to pry (where lateral pressure would be exerted) with either knife, it's important to note that the Umnumzaan's drop point blade has a thinner point with a deeper hollow ground than the Inkosi. I do not pry with any of my knives, but if given the choice, I would feel more confident using the Inkosi as the blade is stouter.

In terms of deployment, I find the Umnumzaan to be one of the most intuitive knives to open.

Here is the inevitable truth: buy the one you like now, you'll end up buying the other down the road and will probably love both.

Both are hell4strong, no doubt. In real world Murphy-type damage potential, I'd say dropping a closed Zaan onto a hard rough surface "could" result in deformation to the titanium scales in the spot the blade stop bar hits, "potentially" messing with lockup timing. Not particularly likely, but not impossible.

That said, I do prefer the domed pin/lug on the Umnumzaan to the typical CRK pointy thumb lug on the Inkosi - I find it more comfortable and "flickable" (nobody working at the mothership today, so maybe I get a pass for saying that today ;)).

That said, I do prefer the domed pin/lug on the Umnumzaan to the typical CRK pointy thumb lug on the Inkosi - I find it more comfortable and "flickable" (nobody working at the mothership today, so maybe I get a pass for saying that today ;)).

One thing I love about the 'Zaan (among many others) is that if I adjust the pivot just right and have good O rings, I can thumb flick it so it lands even softer than with a full-ride thumb arc. :):thumbsup::)

I think I need another Zaan; wonder if we'll ever see one with the new large radius grind? I think I might like that...

The only problem of Umnumzaan is that it does not have a smaller version. An EDC sized Umnumzaan would be the best, much more beautiful than inkosi.

I have owned a 21, a 25 and 2 umnumzaans. I only own 1 zaan now and it's what I carry everyday. The strength and maintenance arguments are null. They will be very much equal in those subjects. It's all personal preference and will come down to looks. I say get the one that calls to you most. For me it's the umnumzaan.

I agree that it really boils down to which one a person is more drawn to. It just so happens that I like the looks and feel better in the Inkosi and there are some design features that I theorize are better.

I feel like the 25 and particularly the Inkosi is for people who want a knife shaped like a Sebenza but carrying all the updated features found around the pivot and lockbar on the Umnumzaan. No thumbstuds that double as bladestops on the Inkosi though, and no rubber dampening. No lockbar overtravel stop either.

Reviving an old post here. I recently purchased both in MagnaCut. I wanted to like the ‘Zaan more because it looks cooler and has the added lock bar stabilizer and thumb lugs that butt up against the scales for added strength, but the Inkosi feels so much better in hand. I generally prefer a beefier handle (‘Zaan), but the pocket clip landed in a bad spot on my hand and the Inkosi’s ergonomic scales are way more comfortable. I only wish they’d made it so the lanyard would spin on the Inkosi like the ‘Zaan because I actually find the lanyard to be useful for retrieval out of pocket, but the lack of mobility of the lanyard on the Inkosi makes it so that the lanyard is less useful.

Reviving an old post here. I recently purchased both in MagnaCut. I wanted to like the ‘Zaan more because it looks cooler and has the added lock bar stabilizer and thumb lugs that butt up against the scales for added strength, but the Inkosi feels so much better in hand. I generally prefer a beefier handle (‘Zaan), but the pocket clip landed in a bad spot on my hand and the Inkosi’s ergonomic scales are way more comfortable. I only wish they’d made it so the lanyard would spin on the Inkosi like the ‘Zaan because I actually find the lanyard to be useful for retrieval out of pocket, but the lack of mobility of the lanyard on the Inkosi makes it so that the lanyard is less useful.
Moreover, for me the jimping on the spine of the Inkosi provides way better grip than that of the ‘Zaan. Alternating two small notches with one medium notch provides excellent grip, whereas the ‘Zaan has just tiny notches that provide little to no traction.

Moreover, for me the jimping on the spine of the Inkosi provides way better grip than that of the ‘Zaan. Alternating two small notches with one medium notch provides excellent grip, whereas the ‘Zaan has just tiny notches that provide little to no traction.
I couldn’t agree more

Back