Leather Input needed on hatchet sheath.

HolyRoller

Gold Member
So, inspiration struck and I think it's working out the way I wanted. Won't know until it's complete and I can test it out, but so far so good.

To sum it up, I wanted a belt sheath for a hatchet that only needed one retaining strap but did not require the entire handle to pass through it. This would allow for an easy draw, and still support a hatchet with a nice palm swell.

After some sketching and some fiddling, I came up with this (assuming the photos show up at the bottom). The poll is supported by shaped block of walnut, which acts as the welt on that side. A leather flap prevents it from slipping outward, while a single strap will snap on to the front section to prevent upward movement.

It's currently glued, but will definitely need mechanical bonding beyond craft adhesive. Here's where I need some ideas. I'm currently thinking small, decorative woodscrews (preferably copper or copper plated to match the saddlery rivets I'll be using on the other corners).

Any better ideas from people with more experience?

They make a cup washer that is used with a wood screw on western saddles. Weaver carries these, this page has both the screws and the washers: https://www.weaverleathersupply.com...rness-saddlery/saddlery/saddle-strings-things

They are used to hold certain parts of the saddle leather to the tree of the saddle:

y80nwzI.jpg

Ytx6h4h.jpg

yOWbE8M.jpg

They should work for ya.

I like these. I use them a lot at work, when I have to mount something to the wall and can't hide the hardware.

I suppose three of these, per side, would work pretty well. I wish they came copper plated...

I was also thinking copper cut tacks around the perimeter, almost like upholstery. Don't know if I trust them not to crack the block, though.

They make a cup washer that is used with a wood screw on western saddles. Weaver carries these, this page has both the screws and the washers.
They should work for ya.

Pre drill holes for screws and tacks maybe. I’ve seen em in brass too, maybe copper is out there.

Back