Installing Molten Metal Inlays in Wood Part 1

This is an abbreviated treatise on installing inlays in wood from molten metal. This requires attention to detail almost every step of the way and SAFETY FIRST!! Apron, goggles, long legged pants, and especially away from the kitchen table--unless of course you're a bachelor. If you are, then no sweat. There's probably a few holes drilled on it's top or on the counter by the sink.

I poured a nose cap on my final rifle, #400. and here's how I went about it. Lines and mysterious glyphs were scribed onto the rifle's nose cap area of the fore arm with pencil. Pencil marks can be erased. Then some of the stripes were shaded in to provide an alternating effect.

31.JPG

32.JPG

An Exacto brand mini "Gentleman's saw" was used to cut the lines approximately 1/8" deep using extreme caution not to saw into the non-nose Cap portion of the fore arm tip. A super sharp chisel slightly narrower than 1/8" wide was used to remove wood from the portions that would receive the molten metal. Keep at it, working slowly, carefully, and paying attention not to remove wood that should remain!

33.JPG
34.JPG

Next, shallow holes were drilled in various positions to enable the metal to anchor itself to the wood. There are no pins or screws used to hold the nose cap on or in position. Some holes were drilled completely into the barrel channel. The holes that appeared in the barrel channel were countersunk. This allows the metal to form a "rivet" type head.
35.JPG
36.JPG

Take your lead pencil and blacken all areas that have holes drilled in them. The leaded surfaces reduces friction and allows a faster, more complete pour.
37.JPG

Traditionally, the metal used to create this style of nose cap or inlays was often lead. Babbitt was preferred, as was German silver. Tonight I used some Bawanna's Babbitt. Thanks, Joe! This is Nickelite brand of Babbitt. It is compounded a little differently than common Babbitt and stays shiny longer. A couple of ounces was melted off the bar into a 2 lb. ladle.
38.JPG

Now comes the hard part. The barrel was warmed up a bit to slow the molten Nickelite from cooling too fast. If it does, there'll be shuts & voids. A sad situation, yes, indeedy! Next a heavy paper dam was laid around the nose cap portion and taped in place. This is not positioned tightly around the area and stands proudly off the surface of the wood. Tape is used prolifically in this area to seal off all nooks, crannies, and cracks. You simply DO NOT WANT MOLTEN METAL ALL OVER YOUR FLOOR, YOUR CLOTHING, OR ANY WHERE ELSE THAT IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE! You got fire insurance on your body? In my case, all openings, screw holes, and pin holes had to be covered with masking tape or plugged. A dowel was used to plug the barrel. Don't be a Cheap Charlie and spare the tape. Here's a pic of the dam around the nose cap looking from the top.
39.JPG

The Babbitt was then heated up past the melting point and then poured from the ladle into the dam. Confession is supposedly good for the soul.....I was not paying attention while I was taping the dam shut. Someone had stopped by the shop and broke my concentration, and guess what--everything single I didn't want to have happen, all of what I just told you how to prevent--HAPPENED! ARRGH! What a mess! Both sides of the nose cap had to be partially re-poured. This makes the sides thicker and requires a lot more elbow grease to get off. It took an hour of steady rasping to get it down. But I got it--finally. Below is The Blob...a most definite horror show. 40.JPG

I just got done with a preliminary search for my ladles sadly without success. Might have got to my shed which is super cluttered, I'll save that search for another day. Getting warm in these parts today.
I scored another bar of that Nickelite a few minutes ago, it was a buy or make offer deal and he accepted less. Happy dance. Can't believe he responded so quick and says it's already shipped too.
Might have to come up with an alternative for the ladle, might have tossed it as I never planned to do any bullet casting.

I'm seeing some pistol and knife handles with the patented Bookie inlay system applied.

Hey Doc, can this stuff be reheated and used. I gotta believe that it would work just fine, but that's why your the Doc and I'm still trying to find myself.

Im wondering if it will work in antler. I bet so! I gotta get me some of that stuff and try it.

Thanks Doc! Well I found some of that Nickelite. I read you PM Bawanna but ill be dang if I can find PM's with this new software. Soon as I can find it ill respond. I did do what you requested so lets see what happens. Do you need MAAP gas or will regular propane melt the stuff. If it melts under 500 then propane should work fine eh? I have both so no biggie?

Errrrrr.....My knee cap hurts. Doc. Put that thing back on the shelf if ya dont mind!!!! I think you got the rong doll.

Eureka!!! I found the missing bullet casting stuff and I think I got just what I need to try my hand at this Bookie inlay stuff.

I think this little guy should be just about right, I don't figure I'll need very much at a sitting so hopefully it will work ok.

Me and hot burning stuff never seem to get along very well but if I'm ever to become a Corn Patch apprentice I guess I got to start someplace.

Lets see, water bucket, check, fire insurance, check. Power chair on full speed, check.
I think I'm ready.

OK I got my Nickelite. Three pounds! Looks like it will last a long long time. I need to get me one of them ladles tho. I pour alot of lead for other projects but that thing you got there looks perfect. Dont need no stinkin fire insurance! That never happens does it;)

Bawanna, wire brush that ladle clean and scrape what you can from the inside. It will work well for what you want to do. I use the same dipper for repairs or making small inlays in forearms. If the inlay is small, don't worry about using the casting pot. Just melt into the dipper, but it's imperative that you have enough molten metal to make the one shot pour. Otherwise, you will need to...uh...well...uh....improvise.

That's molded nicklelite on the front of that antler? Who knew? Man that's super cool.

I plan to just melt into the dipper (never knew what it was called). I do plan to clean it up a bunch to eliminate impurities.
I'm looking for a blast cabinet for some other stuff, might even blast it if I find one soon.

It is indeed. He gifted me with a similar patch knife which I put a handle on, sadly I didn't do it near as nice as he does.
The big Bowie blank he gave me in Reno last year also wears the Bookie mark. It's very cool.

There is no limit to this mans abilities and know how, boggles my infinitely small mind to no end.

Ok I sucked up, put away the voodoo dolls with ya bookie. SIR.

Yes, that is my cartouche.

O.K., Bawanna. You dun good. You get 2 1/2 days for that without needing to take 15oo mg of Ibuprofen every 4 hours. If you'd have send a Guinness AND a Butterfinger, like Danny does, you'd got a whole week off!

He'll figure it out soon nuff:D

32179d8842145e8faee5d6b2ec449639

Back