Interest in a lefty-friendly HTM Gunhammer?

I've been lurking for a while on BF for a long time. Well after some communication with HTM DDR. I pose the question. Because if there are enough of us it could happen!

James,
How many people are you talking.
We might be able to make this happen fast if there are enough!
DDR>

HTM Knives Customer Support

HTM,

I only have 2 knives that are truly left hand. My DPX gear HEST 2.0 and my Chris Reeve large Sabenza 21 which I waited 5 weeks for. My ZT350, ZT0560 and all my other liner/ frame lock knives are only ambi because of the clip. All of my Benchmade's are ambi by nature of the AXIS lock. Lock backs don't matter, put a clip on either side and they are ambi.

You would only have to mill a spot on the other scale for tip up carry and possibly make a left hand clip.

If cold steel could do it for their big goofy Rajah 2 (I bought one as a joke!) You surely can. You have an opportunity to make me and a lot of people on bladeforums very happy.

I want a DDR gunhammer bowie!!

Thanks,
James.

James,
We are considering making a lefty version in the future.
We appreciate your passion sir.

Subject: Re: A Message from HTM Knives contact form

Well, your loss. I am not the only left handed knife nut with money out there.

Thanks,
James.

Subject: RE: A Message from HTM Knives contact form

Sir,
We are sorry. At this time we do not make left handed knives.
We may in the future but at this time we do not.

Subject: A Message from HTM Knives contact form

James White has written this meaasge:

HTM Knives Darrel Ralph DDR Gunhammer Bowie Manual 3-1/2" CTS-XHP Plain Black Blade, Aluminum Handles Any chance of getting one of these left handed tip up carry? I would love one.

I've obviously left out some personal info, but you get the idea. The squeaky wheel gets the oil!

C'mon people SQUEAK!!!!

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify, you're saying you'd pull the trigger on a HTM Gunhammer if they offered it with both scales tapped so that the clip could be mounted for lefties as well as righties? Or are you saying you'd only get one if it was offered in a "full lefty" configuration -- basically the mirror image of the current knife, with the liner lock, cut of the blade tang, clip mounting, and so forth the opposite of the standard version?

I'm not an employee of HTM -- just a fellow DDR/HTM collector/enthusiast that Darrel asked to be the mod for the forum here -- but I could see the former option happening if enough people were to voice interest. The latter is, I think, much less likely in the near-to-medium term since it'd involve having to make entirely separate batches of blades, locks, and so forth for the lefty and righty versions, rather than just tapping the second scale for clip mounting.

Nope, just drill and tap the other scale like everyone else does.

My Sabenza and HEST 2.0 are fully left handed. I realize that means making an entire new knife. It was very nice of them to do, but not what I'm asking DDR to do.

Nope, just drill and tap the other scale like everyone else does.

My Sabenza and HEST 2.0 are fully left handed. I realize that means making an entire new knife. It was very nice of them to do, but not what I'm asking DDR to do.
Okay, that's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure everyone -- both BladeForums members and the HTM folks -- have a clear idea of what's being requested.

We'll see where this suggestion goes. If it garners some interest, I'll bug Darrel about the possibility of adding left-handed clip mounts next time I talk to/email him. :thumbup:

And I realize it would probably only be a tip up option. And that is fine by me. I hate tip down carry. They may have to make a new clip also. Do you have a gunhammer to see how the clip would work on the other side?

I think they are gorgeous, and would drop the $325 right now if I could carry it in my left pocket and grab it like I do with all my other knives.

And I realize it would probably only be a tip up option. And that is fine by me. I hate tip down carry. They may have to make a new clip also. Do you have a gunhammer to see how the clip would work on the other side?
Unfortunately I don't have one handy: the only HTM Gunhammer I have is a TNK exclusive from a couple years ago that has an older pocket clip design that's no longer used. I have a couple of custom Gunhammers, but that wouldn't be much help. ;)

Just looking at the pics of the new pocket clip -- KnifeCenter has a good one here -- I don't see any reason why the stock clip couldn't work for tip-up on the other side if a spot were milled for it. As you mention, it'd likely have to be tip-up only since the location that would have to be milled for tip-down carry on the other side is occupied by the head of the pivot screw.

I posted the question. We shall see. But I know how forums work. "I'll take three" and they buy none. I'm sure you guys are well aware of this too.

James,
Our thoughts exactly.
IF we can get say 10 sold with deposits we will try to go forward on the next handles we make.

Nobody can say I didn't at least try. There has to be another 9 people out there wanting this.

James

I'm fine with the normal configuration until and unless Darrel makes me one with a bolt-action (or AXIS) lock, or something similar.

I posted the question. We shall see. But I know how forums work. "I'll take three" and they buy none. I'm sure you guys are well aware of this too.

James,
Our thoughts exactly.
IF we can get say 10 sold with deposits we will try to go forward on the next handles we make.

Nobody can say I didn't at least try. There has to be another 9 people out there wanting this.

James
Alright, sounds good. If there's some interest on this thread, I can start an "official commitment thread" where people can sign up and then get in touch with HTM about deposits and such.

Also, would it be okay with you if I tweaked the title of this thread by replacing "ambidextrous" with "lefty-friendly"? I realize "ambidextrous" is just as accurate a description of what you're proposing, but changing the wording should help to ensure that it gets the attention of any lefties who happen to be browsing the forum.

neuron, Go ahead and do what you think is best.

EDIT: I also asked if a new clip would be needed. Waiting for an answer.

I e-mailed Darrel direct about drilling a Lambert Collab for tip down carry and he said they could send it up to the custom shop for a nominal fee and have it done.

Why not ask them to do the same thing?

I'm trying to do it for the greater good. Not just for me, but lefties in general. It would also benefit HTM DDR in general. Most companies offer left or right hand carry. So why not?

In the end what is going to end up happening is I'll end up buying a regular one and having a kydex sheath made for it, and a flashlight.

EDIT: They said the current clip will work. And the down payment is cheap. C'mon lefties!

Last edited:
Back