• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Internet knife dealers -- am I just unlucky?

I don't want to mention any dealers by name, since all have come through for me in the long run. But, here's my history. (All knives purchased have been production folders.)

First purchase, a few years ago. Promised in 5 to 10 days. When it didn't arrive in 10 days, I emailed the dealer, who informed me that the item was backordered. Several emails and three weeks later, it finally arrived. The dealer did waive the shipping charge, making this a very good deal.

Second purchase, last year. Large outdoor equipment supplier. You guessed it -- out of stock, backordered. They were good about keeping me informed of progress, and the knife arrived several weeks later. Shipping was free anyway, which was why I ordered from them in the first place.

Third purchase, this spring. This was an item that I knew was out of production, so I made an alternate selection just in case. The dealer informed me that my first choice was out of stock, discontinued, and not expected to be restocked, so they were shipping my alternate choice. This arrived in only four days, so in a sense, great service. But if the item wasn't available, why were they advertising it?

Current purchase. Ordered two knives from a dealer with a very good reputation for service. Both items, out of stock, expected in towards the end of the week. There was also a problem with my order being mis-filed and not placed on the day it was sent and acknowledged, but to be fair to the dealer, my [whin]email was answered promptly.

So, am I just unlucky? Or is this a widespread phenomenon?

Dave

Based on my experience w/internet dealers(which is not vast) you have been pretty unlucky. I've ordered knives from 4 or 5 different places and not had a problem yet. Since I am terrible about waiting for things to arrive, I try to email and find out if something is available before I actually order it. I've never been told 1 week and then not gotten the item within ten days or so. Which I think is pretty good.

------------------
Pete
"Mishaps are like knives, that either serve us or cut us, as we grasp them by the blade or the handle."

All my experiences have ranged from good to excellent. That's with 7 or 8 online dealers, some with multiple deals. Maybe I've just been fortunate, but I think you've probably just had a bad run.

Jack

I have no problems until I give a dealer a rave review in The Good,The Bad,& The Ugly forum.Then it all goes to hell.Has happened several times!I'm going to quit opening my mouth about the good ones.

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

i have ordered knives from dealers and private parties - 18 knives - 10 different places , in the past 3 months - 0 problems. i would not say you were unlucky, after all you did get your knives. i would say you were unlucky if you did not get them.

Back