Inyoni just arrived… and Backpacker reports in, too

Finally got a regular Inyoni in MagnaCut!

Reeeealy like that knife - light and fast, but still tough, perfect mountaineering companion.

And it’s not exactly the same as my Exo Mountain Gear pre-production run (S45VN). Exo version has slightly different plunge angle, slightly thinner cutting edge, and tip is ground slightly thinner too. Micarta handle is just a hair thicker, so my custom kydex sheaths are not interchangeable. Considering all that the MagnaCut version is more sturdy, and Exo in more slicy, but the difference in blade geometry is max 10%.

The original sheath on final production one is very good, but I just wanted a dedicated neck sheath for my Exo and UltiClip pocket sheath for the new one.

BTW, if you’re wondering what was the inspiration for Inyoni’s handle scales… in my opinion it was the mighty Impofu! Very similar lines, also including that angled sude-bump in the middle of the handle. So yeah, there’s a link between the tiny Inyoni and the true behemoth of CRK knives!

Now… back to the woods!

inyoni_03.jpg

inyoni_02.jpg

inyoni_01.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful Inyoni! (Is the plural form still inyoni, like moose? 😆) Looks functional and light, I think it would be great for large game hunting as well as the small game it was marketed for.

Also I'd never heard of the Impofu, when was it produced?

Awesome! I have to say I prefer the grind lines on the s45 version, but the difference does appear minimal. May I ask where you got the kydex?

Nice work on the kydex! The factory sheath is really well done, but I wish it extended over the scales to make putting the knife away easier. As it is now, you have to concentrate to keep from missing it.

I've just realized I've never posted my Backpacker on the forum... so let me change the title of this post and add Backpacker, too. I've even made two extra sheaths for it, one for belt carry (as lightweight as possible with pull-the-dot quick-release belt loop) and also another one for the pocket with UltiClip. The original one will stay as a neck-carry option. It's lightweight enough for this, and in winter, it's often the most convenient way to carry a lightweight fixed blade. It is usable not only for a dedicated neck knife but also for small & mid-sized bushcraft knives. The goal is to carry and use them as much as possible and, as always, to share my thoughts here. So for, so good. But I can't wait for the spring to use them more :)

backpacker_web-1.jpg

backpacker_web-2.jpg

Fantastic photos! I’ve always used low cost mora’s in the woods and wonder what I’m missing with a high end offering like the inyoni and backpacker. Certainly edge retention. I’d be conflicted on which one to get. I look forward to you sharing your experience.

My brain says Inyoni but my heart says backpacker.
I was enamored with the backpacker the moment I saw the first pictures of it. I hope I will find one sooner or later.

Last year I bought an Inyoni off the exchange here, and some friends and I gave it a workout last deer season.
I wasn't that thrilled about the Inyoni at first, but after using it in the field and to process a couple deer, and having used it quite a bit in the kitchen and around the house, if something happened to mine now I would immediately be looking for another one.

I have sharpened it a couple times now and feel like we have a bond ;)

I haven't found a Backpacker yet. I did buy new old stock Nyala which is similar to the Backpacker, but a bit more beefy.
The blade is thicker than on the backpacker, 4.5mm vs 3.4mm, and as such it is heavier at 5.8 oz vs 3.8oz.

I am not nearly as in love with the Nyala compared to the Inyoni. The Inyoni really surprised me how attatched I have become to it because of its lightness and useful yet easy to carry size.

That said, while I find the Nyala a bit heavy and thick for my general uses (ie, mostly food prep) comparedto the Inyoni, the Backpacker would likely be more like it.

I think u'd need to hold them both to decide. Do a real A-B test on the grip. I've no doubt the blades on both are perfect.

To me the backpacker looks to have the most comfy grip.

I've had them both, and both are excellent. If you only want one knife (if you're here you probably want them all), I would go for the backpacker. More versatile, and the finger guard is much more pronounced, lending itself to a much safer grip for any tough work. I'd be concerned with any tough work on the inyoni given how shallow the finger guard is, but that misses the point entirely on the use case of the inyoni. The backpacker is SCARY light.

I had the Inyoni and loved it. The only problem is that I didn't go out as much as I used to. For those fishing or hunting or camping this would be a great companion.

Back