Is there a one stop shop for an amateur hour personal sheath maker

For a while I have had an idea to try to make myself a sheath that I can keep and just be able to say I made.

Is there a one stop shop sort of website where I can order a piece of already stained leather, thread, needles, and glue, whatever else I might need?

What weight and kind of leather and thread should I be looking for?

Thanks for any help.

Based on your comment above, I get the idea that this is sort of a "casual" approach to leather making and that you are not considering seriously continuing. Therefore, I think a logical place for you to start would be either Springfield Leather, or Tandy/Leather Factory web sites and look at the knife sheath kits offered. It is also a place to obtain the needles, threads tool etc. and other findings you might choose.
The weight of the leather and tread size etc. would be moot points with the kits as a lot of this is included.

Paul

Based on your comment above, I get the idea that this is sort of a "casual" approach to leather making and that you are not considering seriously continuing. Therefore, I think a logical place for you to start would be either Springfield Leather, or Tandy/Leather Factory web sites and look at the knife sheath kits offered. It is also a place to obtain the needles, threads tool etc. and other findings you might choose.
The weight of the leather and tread size etc. would be moot points with the kits as a lot of this is included.

Paul

Hey Paul- This being a "casual" approach is great way for you to describe my interests. I have no desire to turn it into anything more. I have ordered several sheaths from Dwayne (Armoralleather) over the years, and one from Kenny Rowe, and been more than pleased. I have yet to obtain one of your sheaths but from the pictures I've seen I would be very happy. I can't top y'all's perfection so I'll happily continue buying them from y'all.

I seriously just want one or two sheaths for myself that I can say I made, or deny making, depending on how bad they turn out. Haha!

Thank you very much for the reply and help.

I placed an order with SpringField Leather this a.m.. I bought some 7-8 oz B grade Hermann Oak, some 5-6 oz B grade Hermann Oak. Along with some heavy waxed thread, the thing that cuts the thread channel, the thing that looks like a fork (a 4 prong & a 2 prong), an edger tool, a couple different types of needles, and some dye.

I'm excited, and nervous.

Last edited:
Careful, you might get hooked :) Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

OP Tandy Leather gives classes and beyond materials I think the first one is pretty reasonable but I can't remember how much. There's one local to me which I had no idea. I've thought about trying it just to see if I like it.

Back