Is this anvil worth buying?

http://www.floridaflywheelers.org/index.html

27th Annual Antique Engine & Tractor " Swamp Meet" January 15-18, 2014

Last year it was about 50 acres of visiting yankees bringing all kinds of tractor, tools, and god knows what else from up north to fund their vacation in Florida. Local farmers are also in the mix, and they come with their fair share of heavy equipment...

$300 to $400 can go a long way at the event if you play your cards right... I walked away without an anvil but acquired a real nice 5" post vise there for $60...

I am really only looking to spend like $300 to $400 at the most for right now. I spent some $$ picking up some material for a post anvil and some other steel.

I am interested in attending the event though, please provide me with more info if you can.

Also, after seeing that original craigslist posting for nearly 2 months I told that particular individual whom the manufacturer was. Magically, as if it came with a side of magic dust, the price was hiked up and it was "rare". It's a lost battle when talking to people who have some misunderstood grasp that ebay reflects fair to below-market value. Chances are if there its no wiggle, and they're all about 4$/lb. it's not worth pursuing. You'll see a steady number of anvils come up here shortly, as winter brings them out of the shadows. I had a nice run last year and picked up quite a few for less than $1.50/lb. as they're great when it comes to trade material at swap meets. Had I any more of those spoils I'd gladly cut you a deal, but I don't.

http://www.floridaflywheelers.org/index.html

27th Annual Antique Engine & Tractor " Swamp Meet" January 15-18, 2014

Last year it was about 50 acres of visiting yankees bringing all kinds of tractor, tools, and god knows what else from up north to fund their vacation in Florida. Local farmers are also in the mix, and they come with their fair share of heavy equipment...

$300 to $400 can go a long way at the event if you play your cards right... I walked away without an anvil but acquired a real nice 5" post vise there for $60...

So I took the family out there today, but it was way too much to work through with them. I only found a heel-less 70 lbs fisher and some well priced tongs. I know there was a lot more there, I just couldn't find it. The sheer size of the place is boggling. Planning to go back on Saturday and I'm going to rent a golf cart to get around. I didn't realize the place is now 280 acres.

If anyone else is around here, this is a cool event. I saw a ton of old cleavers and blades. I had to resist the urge to buy anything other than smithing tools for now.

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and I totally forgot to mention the cutlery. I picked up a Hudson Bay "U.S." Legitimus tomahawk for $8 and a bunch of tongs myself. Compared to last year plethora of blacksmith related items, this year was dismal at best. It's my understanding that there is a mid-February event there that is even bigger event at FL Flywheelers.

Also, February 26th - March 2nd Pioneer Park has a pretty big gathering which I hear is a really good place to find equipment.

Pioneer Park Link

You'll find an anvil eventually, in FL they tend to come out of the shadows when the snowbirds return. Once you get one, something strange happens... All of the sudden they will rain from the sky. It's a strange phenomena.

Back