Is this normal?

I was cutting some cardboard with the Rat 2 and I noticed chips in the blade afterwards. I may have hit the metal clips/staples, though I didn't feel it and don't remember it. It's AUS-8 of course. Can this be corrected easily by sharpening? I only have the Sharpmaker atm. http://s58.photobucket.com/user/dijkstramofo/media/20170121_175521_zpsya49z645.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 http://s58.photobucket.com/user/dijkstramofo/media/20170121_175454_zps9hwghbnj.jpg.html?filters[user]=146104690&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Edit: does it look what you'd expected if it hit the metal or is it defective/bad heat-treat etc.? I see people cutting tin cans with their knives and edges are none the worse for wear, though it may be the different steels.

Thanks!

That does seem a bit odd to me. You must have hit something. I've used my Rat's to cut a fair amount of cardboard and never had that happen. Heck, I've tried cutting through wire and not had that happen.

That said, even though it may take a while, I am sure you can get that out with the medium brown sharpmaker stones. Just be patient. I don't know enough to suggest whether it's a heat treat / Ontario QC issue. Maybe one of them will take a look and chime in.

Best of luck.
--Steve

I would guess that there must have been a staple in there somewhere. Like Steve said, the RAT 2 can easily handle cardboard, and I haven't heard of any issues with the heat treat on the RAT II (usually when those issues pop up, they affect entire batches). Let me know if that cleans up with sharpening, and if not I'll check with CS about a replacement.

Denting / microchips are nothing to worry about on metal on metal contact for new knives. It should happen less and less as your keep re-sharpening. OKC's AUS8 is the toughest of the brands I've tried. They do have excellent customer service, if it keeps happening.

Yep, must have been a piece of metal in there somewhere. I managed to correct the defects with ease and sharpened it back to razor sharp. Amazing folder for the price. Thanks for the replies guys!

Back