Is this normal?

I bought my first 110 and 112 from C&C. I can't believe that I never tried these before and really like them. However, the 110's scales have this finish issue (see pic below).

The lower part of the scale is how the other side looks. Is the shiny part on the top of the scale something that will wear in over time? Is this something that I should consider returning the knife for another? I really like the knife, so I would ask for the same model.

Edit: Added slightly better pic of scale:

6raCJaH2bhy36xfSiJnuGY6NWbFdTNntV_RLqzMpGbeC_e3Qns6kzEK6QHgEy_UUuQIq1DaQQIRiBZc2SqAQz3pbeTIqbwvjENAMIq2m8zkR1xM0d0Kn1r2CMqCSeBn218YCxrLrwQ

SxLKt1ODH6tarYQ69HttJiVF0cNu74K9PXQU_DTURdNecuBqrdO3Bx_DCgQRLS3_eXz922vHSAR_2dgzJwW4-tUAuYHjuWssywjE1rfRJWjxTzRxA1WUOlD8IvgW05LpsdMuM-frsg

Last edited:
I don't see what it is that you are asking about. the only shinny I see just appears to be light reflecting off of the woods finish. Maybe from a flash or nearby light.

O.B

I see it now. Like the finish is rubbed off or something, but a little remains at the top. Or, the other way around and something is stuck on the top and shouldn't be. Not sure honestly. I'm sure some of the vets will weigh in, they have all the knowledge :) Congrats on the nice scores! :thumbsup:

Edited first post: added another pic which might better show the difference in finish.

Most likely it is just how the finish absorbed into the scale. If you want to dull it down a bit just rub it lightly with a little 00 steel wool until the desired sheen is acquired. But be careful not to over do it.

That is really an easy fix. Either give it a very light coat of Tru-oil to bring that piece of wood up to shine (depending on which you want). Or, lightly buff the shiny area with 000 steel wool to lower the shine. DM

Thanks all for the reassurances and suggestions. I just wanted to make sure before I started accumulating more 11x's since I'm new to this style of knife.

Scott, that's the bad thing of mail ordering. You get what they send. When I bought my AG110 I drove 50 miles to get it and looked at 3 to get one. They're not all the same. Mark

I bought a new axe the other day and the finish on the handle was like this; shinier in some places than others. I used it all day and didn't notice the handle finish variation one time. By the time I hung it up in the shed when I was done, there were nicks and dings and scratches all over it.

Just sayin'...

Back