Its here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one of mine: Gotta love Mr. DP!
More pix to come. Thank you RYP and team!
hestf.jpg

This thing is really well built, great detail and finish. Well worth the wait

Last edited:
Nice knife, nice number.

Teflon washers are what give the knife its feel on the pivot. I have been using mine in overly serious dust, mud dirt, water etc and notice no problems. More importantly washers are the easiest part of the knife to replace. They both cost almost nothing. You can also get nylatron and phosphor bronze.

http://www.usaknifemaker.com/washer-teflon-316-015-p-187.html
http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/24999/subcatid/70160/id/453996

bronze can be stronger, teflon is smoother. Under hard conditions when you have massive amounts of mud packed in there teflon came out on top. And as I said they are ridiculously cheap and the same price Teflon or Bronze phosphor are 32 to 48 cents. We don't scrimp on materials. But if you have a personal preference you can easily swap out the washers and do the same test. And probably come to the same conclusion

Thanks for the explanation RYP, Im just really naive when it comes to these things, and with all my knives I always saw the BP washers, so I was just confused. Again thanks for the info I never knew about that stuff

I LOVE the MR Dp version! I still kinda wish I woulda man'd up and bought it.

Here's one of mine: Gotta love Mr. DP!
More pix to come. Thank you RYP and team!
hestf.jpg

This thing is really well built, great detail and finish. Well worth the wait

Nice one James,

Now for the hard question, are you going to use it? ;):D

Some knives like the Sebenza use perforated bronze alloy washers (to hold grease and reduce slip) others have bearing type washers. But under severe abuse (the normal environment for DPx gear) teflon is the best because grease just attracts dirt. I would also suggest that the washers are very easy to replace, very inexpensive. Kinda like the AK. You can spend a lot of money fixing a problem you can fix with a simple replacement part. My teflon washers have not shown any signs of slowing down. In fact I think the constant abuse and abrasion makes them feel toothier rather than slippery. I do not recommend oil on the washers. I noticed that Gianni's people put some light oil on the pivot but it is not needed and I would just wash it off when you head out into the muck.

I am always up for new or better ideas.

Damn those are freaking sweet. Fingers crossed some production ones come in this week, I'm goin hog hunting This weekend and would love to put mine through the hunting paces.

I'm pretty envious, the sterile looks really bad ass, very spec ops in all black.

I am always up for new or better ideas.

GET READY FOR A GREAT ONE!

Evidently I'm really dying for this knife as last night I had a dream that I received it.

My dream version came with one extra feature that was NOT advertised during this entire process.... a WHISK BROOM! That's right. Pivoting along side the beautiful blade was an old school corn whisk broom. Perfect for piling up your wood shavings during fire making or for whisking away those pesky bits of flesh after a fresh kill.

The idea is all yours, RYP. Feel free to run with it and modify as needed!

My Hossom Retribution Folders all have 1 teflon and 1 bronze washer. They are, by far, the smoothest opening folders I have ever handled. So much so, that they gently "fall open" when you hold them spine-down and give them a gentle upward flick..

They are one of a kind, as I expect the HEST/f to be..

Very good call by Mr. Pelton..

When we do folders for city work, bronze alloy would be fine because belly button lint, cookie crumbs and bus exhaust would be your major worry.. :)) I like bronze washers and for maintenance freaks who need something to clean, oil, polish etc they are great.

But when your knife is literally underwater, in the mud, sand, blood, sweat and muck for months, you can't keep oil on or even maintain it. It has to stay functional at its normal spec. Teflon fits the bill pretty well.

I envy all of u people! I preordered a hest folder through knifeworks and there's still no news of it yet =(

Bob T uses teflon washers too. Mayo as well (or nylatron). PB is not really necessary.

I really hope my production folders come soon...my dealer has not responded to my PMs on arrival, but he must be swamped :D

So beautiful.
I am afraid that the massive winter storm is going to really slow things down for those of us in the other side of the country.

I envy all of u people! I preordered a hest folder through knifeworks and there's still no news of it yet =(

Me too, don't worry, we're good. Ours are moving. I paid for mine. Give it a couple/few weeks and you'll see it. I can't wait myself. OD green..yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back