Izula horizontal carry

I got an Esee Izula for Christmas, just the knife and sheath, and I'm wondering whether I should get the pocket clip plate, paracord wrap the sheath, get a custom sheath, or something else. I want to carry it horizontally on my belt.
x83SeFnl.jpg

Also wondering if someone with the micarta handle scales can tell me their opinion about them.

Paracord is simple,cheap and functional. try it first and if you don't care for it you can always get something else to suit your fancy.

Do you know if the official pocket clip can do horizontal carry?
There are no local suppliers so I'll have to wait 2 weeks for shipping overseas whichever solution I choose.

One option you might consider is using a couple soft loops with snaps to attach the factory sheath to your belt. I've done this with great success with the sheath for my Becker BK14 which is similar to yours. Here's a pic of it, sorry I don't have one handy of it actually on my belt. I'm using some extra IWB soft loops I had on hand. If you Google holster soft loops you will find where to order some.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389960107.514386.jpg

The T-K-C handle scales are a big plus. I don't particularly like the feel of the factory micarta scales, but they're better than a bare or cord wrapped handle for my hands. I've got T-K-C scales on my Izula and my BK14. Paracord doesn't give me enough grip on an already small knife handle. The aftermarket scales made all the difference.

My Izula and BK14 sheaths are set up for horizontal carry but I didn't use a Tek-Lok or the boot clip that comes with the Izula. The Tek-Lok pushes the sheath too far out from the body and makes it print much more under a thin t-shirt. The boot clip can be set up for horizontal carry but the screws don't mate up very well with the sheath and the knife felt uncomfortable and not very secure to me.

I used a bicycle inner tube from any hardware or box store and made a couple of very thin and snug fitting sleeves for the sheaths. They hold very securely, keep everything close, and I can even leave the boot plate on the other side of the sheath in case I want to use the belt clip.

My Izula and BK14 sheaths are set up for horizontal carry (...)

Are you using the factory sheaths or customs? I actually think the original sheath is a bit too grippy, something I never thought I'd experience... With my current crappy-cord wrap, it just doesn't stick enough to pull the blade out without holding on to the sheath...

Kadelic, are those loops just nylon webbing with snaps on?

EDIT:
Also, dalefuller, those TKC handle scales for the Izula 2, do they fit the Izula (1) as well?

Last edited:
Are you using the factory sheaths or customs? I actually think the original sheath is a bit too grippy, something I never thought I'd experience... With my current crappy-cord wrap, it just doesn't stick enough to pull the blade out without holding on to the sheath...

Kadelic, are those loops just nylon webbing with snaps on?

EDIT:
Also, dalefuller, those TKC handle scales for the Izula 2, do they fit the Izula (1) as well?

Dale sells scales for both Izulas. They have to be bought for the size you have. Mine is the original Izula because it carries under a shirt a little better.

I use the factory sheaths because their retention is very secure. Pulling the knife is no problem with the scales I have... I just grab the handle with my thumb against the sheath and pull. The inner tube sleeves I made cover most of the sheath and hold it very close and securely... much tighter than most paracord loops will.

I've been carrying mine like this every day since about October and I love it like this. I had to drill two holes in the top of the sheath but thats it

Last edited:
Back