Recommendation? Japanese kitchen knife Q's

Kiritsuke is not a type of knife. It refers to the type of tip. It is abbreviated as "K-tip" among J-knife fans.
That the head of the kitchen uses a K-tip is a gross generalization. Very few do, most do not care.

The cheaper j knives are made from pre laminated steel and wouldn't be forged in that sense but often hammered finished.if you call that forged

Edited to add: I'm not sure if the cheapest Japanese san mai or clad knives are forged, just clarifying below that prelaminated steel is still often forged into knives.

Prelaminated steel can still be forged and often is, especially by Japanese bladesmiths. Using prelaminated steel saves time over having to laminate the softer material to the steel themselves, especially in the case of stainless cladding laminated to carbon steel core which is probably too time consuming and labor intensive for most of them to do economically.

For example, here is a forged knife from Jelle Hazenberg made from prelaminated suminigashi clad steel. You can see there is still forge scale left at the spine near the handle in the brut de forge or kurouchi style.
australian-blackwood-gyuto-178mm-by-jelle-hazenberg.jpg

Last edited:
Edited to add: I'm not sure if the cheapest Japanese san mai or clad knives are forged, just clarifying below that prelaminated steel is still often forged into knives.

Prelaminated steel can still be forged and often is, especially by Japanese bladesmiths. Using prelaminated steel saves time over having to laminate the softer material to the steel themselves, especially in the case of stainless cladding laminated to carbon steel core which is probably too time consuming and labor intensive for most of them to do economically.

For example, here is a forged knife from Jelle Hazenberg made from prelaminated suminigashi clad steel. You can see there is still forge scale left at the spine near the handle in the brut de forge or kurouchi style.
australian-blackwood-gyuto-178mm-by-jelle-hazenberg.jpg
That's wow.i love jelles work.handles and blades
I know they forge from laminated steel too but I was more answering the person I quoted as It sounded like he didn't know
I've never worked with prelaminates but i understand it doesn't have to be forged and can be made by just stock removal too

A nakiri would be your best option.
A petty is a bit small for some veggies.

At work I use a gyuto for all my veggies.

First off if you use the term "veggie slicer" with respect to Japanese knives, people will automatically assume that you are referring to a specialized Vegetable knife called an Usuba (if single bevel) and Nakiri (if double bevel).
You stated that you are looking for a Petty knife. You need to choose whether Wa-handle or Yo-handle. Note that a Wa-handle will have a forward weight distribution compared to a Western handle. There are many good knives in your price range.

https://www.chuboknives.com/collections/knives/Petty
https://toolsofchef.com/mercer-knives-review/
https://www.japanny.com/collections/petty-knife
you collection is pretty good from all of them .

Last edited:
Advice needed from the STW massive on Japanese knives pleases, re good brands, size, material, etc. For a friend to buy as a present for someone.

He'll be along later when he can get on here to check. In the meantime, advise away, please
Would like to help, but there are simply just so many options out there.
A couple things you need to decide on first-
- Stainless or Carbon Steel
- Wa Handle (traditional Japanese handle) or Yo Handl;e (Western styled handle)
- Satin finish, Kurouchi, Damascus?
- Budget.

Your queston is like saying "I want to buy a car, tell me what's out there" without further preference details.

Back