1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

John Greco

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Bennyg111, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Bennyg111

Bennyg111

Aug 29, 2012
    [​IMG][/URL[/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]
    Purchased this John Greco at a local gunshow today. Seller did not know much or what type of steel. Any help is highly appreciated

2. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    He primarily used 8670, a steel used for commercial metal-sawing blades, with .75% carbon and nickle for toughness.

3. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    From what I remember, he used a variety of steels depending upon the "period" of his knife making career. Wasn't he around for a number of years?

4. bandaidman

bandaidman Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2001
    he sometimes put a single number or letter to signify the steel type on the other side of the knife if i recall correctly. a2 and 8670 were common

5. Bennyg111

Bennyg111

Aug 29, 2012
    I have had ppl tell me this particular style he was using A2 and O1 at the time. The other side has a "A" stamped in it so I'm guessing this might be A2

6. brownshoe

Sep 6, 2002
    I think that's a pretty good guess based upon my poor memory of past Greco knives I've handled.

7. LuckyC

LuckyC

Feb 3, 2010
    Most likely A2. I thought Mr. Greco had retired from knife making. Looks like Blade Art has some of his knives.

8. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I heard he had retired, I am pretty sure this work is from his earlier work, I have a small Bowie in 8670 and black coated.

9. brownshoe

Sep 6, 2002
    He's retired at least twice as of about 5-10 years ago. He's got some health problems.

10. Dago Red

Dago Red

Jun 16, 2008
    That's cool. If I had a high end steakhouse that's the knives we'd use

Red