Not open for further replies.
20170709_125245.jpg
[/URL[/IMG]
20170709_125245.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170709_125245.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170709_125245.jpg

Purchased this John Greco at a local gunshow today. Seller did not know much or what type of steel. Any help is highly appreciated

He primarily used 8670, a steel used for commercial metal-sawing blades, with .75% carbon and nickle for toughness.

From what I remember, he used a variety of steels depending upon the "period" of his knife making career. Wasn't he around for a number of years?

he sometimes put a single number or letter to signify the steel type on the other side of the knife if i recall correctly. a2 and 8670 were common

I have had ppl tell me this particular style he was using A2 and O1 at the time. The other side has a "A" stamped in it so I'm guessing this might be A2

I have had ppl tell me this particular style he was using A2 and O1 at the time. The other side has a "A" stamped in it so I'm guessing this might be A2

I think that's a pretty good guess based upon my poor memory of past Greco knives I've handled.

Most likely A2. I thought Mr. Greco had retired from knife making. Looks like Blade Art has some of his knives.

I heard he had retired, I am pretty sure this work is from his earlier work, I have a small Bowie in 8670 and black coated.

He's retired at least twice as of about 5-10 years ago. He's got some health problems.

This is a 4 year old thread, and I'm fairly certain John is retired from knife making.
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back