Jot Sing Kalsa-again-sorry-let me explain!!!

Okay, I've been critised for using the word worst. Let me explain this is not my least favorite spyderco. I really like this knife. REALLY!!!
I just happen to think that the parameters on this knife were allowed to be less strict than any other spyderco. Every other Spyderco I've ever seen, seemed nearly flawless, whereas this model, had scales that were consistantly uneven when lined up with the liner. And NO--THIS IS NOT A MAJOR FLAW!!!! It just makes the other spydercos seem that much more perfect in terms of exacting production standers.

------------------
One small step for man, one giant leap for frogs, one mile for fleas

Endrozen - It's OK. No problem. No need to explain. This is a friendly place.

The JSK was a very difficult model to create in production. It has more curves and direction changes than any other Spyderco. there were a total of 2,400 pieces made. Not enough to really perfect the production.

Should demand request another run. (Perhaps in another material). I'm sure we will improve.

I think the worst Spyderco was the "Pre-Diver". The design didn't do the job and the materials were less than effective for the conditions (salt water).

sal

There ya go, edrozen! This is what the makes bladeforums great. You post a question, and if your lucky, the chief knife guru of the company steps up to answer your question. Gotta love it.

Welcome to bladeforums. I hope you understand that Nobody in those other threads today was disgruntled or upset with you in any personal way. You came in worried that what you had to say would upset people, and you let some straight talk answers ruffle your feathers (please don't use the YELLING form of text so much).

Being unhappy with a knife is fine. It's happened to all of us. In a public forum there are sometimes ugly little trolls who use inflammatory language like (Not a flame) and calling something 'worst'. That people reacted to these words should not surprise you. Learn from todays interactions. Sometimes NOT posting is the best course of action. Again, Welcome to bladeforums.

Paracelsus, oft Mystooken Shaman of the Terrible Ironic Horde

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I have a plain Khalsa and will probably by a serrated model in the near future. I is probably the Spyderco I carry most next to my Mini-Dyad (OK so I like "different knives"). Mine is beautifully made and one of the fastest openers I've ever owned. There may have been fit/finish problems but mine is a good as any Spyderco, and we all know how good that is!

------------------

I really like the design and appearance of the Khalsa, not to mention the smooth action, but ergonomically it didn't work out for me.
The hole is so far from the handle that moving my thumb through the whole arc from closed position to locked is very awkward--it requires some twisting of my whole hand to get from one to the other. My joints can't take quite as much wear and tear as most peoples', so sometimes this is painful. (Somebody with a longer thumb might be able to open it very easily. I should mention that I had the opposite problem with the Benchmade 820: in order to avoid the "hump", BM put the hole all the way in, almost at the base of my thumb--so it was very uncomfortable to put the tip of my thumb into the hole to open the knife. I have ended up never using it.)
The other thing with the Khalsa that I didn't like was the closing: the liner was recessed just a little too much,so I had to use a fingernail (with excessive pressure) or the side of my thumb (OWW) to unlock it.
But honestly, I think the Khalsa is such a beautiful design, if you guys ever came out with a slightly modified version I would jump at it. Hole not quite as far out...liner not quite as recessed...profile not quite as thick (you do reeaally notice it in you pocket, I must admit...)
JSK II: truly something to look forward to. :^)

Back