• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Junglee "Yakuza" for a reasonable price

To : ALL

I just received my Junglee "Yakuza" from Gary Olen's
Sportsmens Guide ; although not a "leading" knife maker, I rather
liked the appearance of the "Yakuza" with it's serration(s) along
the spine of the knife, and wicked tanto point! 1SKS had'em for about
$80 but I scored this baby from the Sportsmans Guide for $39.97!
If not a "leading" knife Co. a good deal none-the-less.
Check out the Sportsmans Guide :

www.sportsmansguide.com

They have antique bayonets, name brand & "quick fixes" for more than
reasonable prices!

A.E.T.

Being as 1SKS owns and operates this forum, maybe you could have been a little more tactful?:rolleyes:

This is supposed to be an unbiased :confused: open forum. Much like all of us I'm sure Allen works hard for his money, and wants to get the best bang for his buck. I know I don't plunk down suggested retail prices for the knives I buy, and always appreciate someone pointing me in the direction of a better deal. That's what makes this country a great competitive driving force in the world economy, and not a communist block sattelite, where I'm forced to buy only what's available, for the price that one person thinks it's worth, and not what I want for a lesser amount.

Hey lifter4him :

Most of my Spydies come from 1SKS ; I also have a personal rapport
with D.C. & Kevin! Thing is, if you can score a good deal elsewhere
then do it! This IS a "free market" economy. Personally I don't think
D.C. or Kevin would mind if I did find a better price on the "Yakuza".
ANY reputable company would see this wisdom.
BTW I got what I think is THE bet deal on the C12BK "Matriarch" from
1SKS! Just my two cents.

A.E.T.

I've gotten great deals at 1SKS and other places too, I just didn't think lifter4him was being fair, to the thread poster. And I guess I was still up on my soap box after coming back from a friends memorial who died at WTC back on 9-11, sorry.:(

For what it's worth,

People tell each other all the time about deals on here. But I think Lifter was referring to one line used by Allen:

Originally posted by Allen: "1SKS had'em for about
$80 but I scored this baby from the Sportsmans Guide for $39.97!
If not a "leading" knife Co. a good deal none-the-less."

It is the comparison to 1SKS and then saying that the other company may not be "leading"... etc. That can be taken as somewhat offensive. I read it that way myself.

Don't do that! This is an open forum! Wait a minute, I just told you not to have your opinion about your opinion. Don't not reciond yoru opinion. Wait a minute, I just told you not to have an opinion about not having an opinion about your opinion! Wait a minute, I think I'm stuck in an infinite regress! AAARGH! :)

Now that humor has been insertes, here's my knife content: Japanese water stones kick butt for sharpening!

I was only kidin' remember opinions are like a$$hole$ everybody has one, and some like me have more than one:D

Originally posted by Crayola
here's my knife content: Japanese water stones kick butt for sharpening!

Know of any good places to get 'em?

Dan

What I meant by "leading" knife company was refering to Junglee
NOT Sportsmans Guide or 1SKS ; if you checked out my rebuttal
you would have seen that in context. Mad Hungarian, I said nothing to
disprove what you said, only to reinforce it! Again you go where the bargains are to be had. 1SKS has many of them ; they just didn't have the Junglee "Yakuza" for $39.97. Thats all.

A.E.T. ( misunderstood on Bladeforums.com )

Since this is a recommendation, I am going to move this to the forum used for all recommendations, good or bad. Going to the Good,Bad+Ugly forum.
Dave

Water Stone sources:

www.leevalley.com in Canada is awesome. I bet with the exchange rate and all, they may be worth getting price wise. As far as in the US, try www.japanwoodworker.com. you can get a free catalog and they have lots of stones. There is another wood working tool catalog company in the US that I am familiar with, but I forget their name!! Check out the above guys anyways.

I can also recommend FULLY the sharpening book by Leonard Lee, abailable from Lee Valley and through many book places. Leonard Lee is the guy who started Lee Valley Tools and Veritas. He took chisels and stones and such to the University of Toronto (I think) and had pics taken trhough an electron microscope. The book is full of amazing pics. Ever really see a burr? Want to see what an inclusion in a natural sharpening stone looks like? The diference between a vitrified bond (Arkansas stone) and the bond used in a japanese stone? Want to see what a stropped edge looks like? This book has it all! And it tells you how to sharpen all kinds of tools.

A.E.T.: I know you saif leading when talking about the other company, but it sounds like aknock to 1SKS because BladeForums is the "Leading Edge of Knife Discussion." I'm sure you meant nothing but positive things for both companies, but it just sounds funny to people who read it, is all.

Question: Doesn't 1SKS have a price-matching policy? What exactly is the policy?

A.E.T: Enjoy your knife! I know nothign about it, so I hope you do a review on it.

Look, I meant no offense. All I meant was that maybe you could have said: I saw this knife elsewhere for $80 so I grabbed it at this price.
Just my opinion. I remember when there was no BF, and KF sucked under the previous owner where there was censorship, post deleting, and all kinds of bs.Guess I just appreciate Kevin running this place the way he does.
T.E., I can understand your emotions. Knew a few myself, and have a couple of friends still working there now. I'm a printer for a NY newspaper and everytime there's another story about another funeral service I get choked up all over again.

Back