Just a thought

It seems as though many people think that by avoiding confrontation with predators or running from predators people are letting the predators win. Unless we stand up to our attacker who seek to make us their victims they win. I am a proponent of defending oneself. However, I think one should look at the best ways to keep themselves safe.

In nature there are predators and prey as well. No one says that a gazzelle let the Lion win when the gazzelle chooses to run from the lions rather than standing and fighting. No one accuses a crane of allowing the predator to dominate their lives when the crane chooses not to drink at the edge of the water where alligators are obviously nearby. Hypothetically, I am sure that if a monkey had a bananna and a predator wanted it the monkey would give it and run in order to save his hide.

So my question is why do people think that avoidance and retreat are allowing the predator to win in when the same sort of events take place between humans. I am curious as to why it is considered by more than a few to be contemptable to follow the same basic paradigms that are present in animals.

If one lion decides to eat another lion, when he should be eating gazelles, don't you think the rest of the lions will be a little perturbed with him?

Originally posted by one2gofst
It seems as though many people think that by avoiding confrontation with predators or running from predators people are letting the predators win. Unless we stand up to our attacker who seek to make us their victims they win. I am a proponent of defending oneself. However, I think one should look at the best ways to keep themselves safe.

So my question is why do people think that avoidance and retreat are allowing the predator to win in when the same sort of events take place between humans. I am curious as to why it is considered by more than a few to be contemptable to follow the same basic paradigms that are present in animals.

I'm sure this is aimed at a couple people but I feel pretty safe that I am one of those people so I'll comment on it.

For one thing, as human beings, we are "animals." But, we are separate from the "animals" you speak of, therefore, a portion of your analogy is incredibly flawed. There are so many variables present in our world, made up with a flawed Judicial System, flawed by Men and Women who have their own corrupt or morally bankrupt political ideologies and philosophies at work, etc. We have prisons, a broken Judicial System, grandstanding and idiotic politicians with opinions ranging from truly benevolent to tyrannical. All of these things collide when we speak about Self-defense. The animals in the field, where your analogy comes into play means very little to me.

You may call me ignorant for not agreeing with you, I think you can tell from my own words I'm far from an ignorant person. I simply reject the whole premise of your argument completely.

But I will entertain portions of it.

Secondly, don't misconstrue what I have stated in other posts. Don't think because I write something that this is written in stone, set there and cannot be a fast-changing variable when it comes to survival.

I think you have lifted what you wished from various statements and wrapped a philosophy around that to attempt to break it down and write about it.

I believe that when, as a Society, people no longer fight back against crime, it sends the wrong message to the criminal element. There has been much "talk" on various bulletin boards (including this one) as to people acting like "bullies." Let's use a human analogy to illustrate our problems instead of speaking about animals.

This emboldens the criminal element to more and more outrageous and violent behavior when they know no one will resist. Concealed Carry of Handguns has proven time and time again to the point that it can only be debated by disingenuous Gun Control Advocates who like to twist arguments...that it works.

But having said all of that which I believe to be factual, I still never stated that a tactical retreat is not the thing to do in many situations. Do you think for one moment that a loving Husband and Father would want to engage an unknown element with ANY weapon by choice?

On these bulletin boards, it has been argued since people have came online, Self-defense issues colliding with gun issues. After almost five years on the Internet, this is nothing new. What both of us are writing...is nothing new. It's the runners vs. those that won't tuck tail and run and advocate that. The reason is brutally simple. You can't always run! People like yourself preach the "Jim Fixx Solution" and there is nothing wrong with that, running - tactical retreat - until you realize that we are not speaking about that!

When I write something, I assume a certain amount of intelligence on the part of the reader. I continue to do this and continue to get screwed for my assumption.

What we are speaking about are the times when you cannot run. Just because I think Society as a whole would be better with NOT running and smoking those who need to be smoked on the spot, that is not a reality either. It's not feasible to engage when you have an avenue of escape and a Wife and/or child with you.

One only engages when they have to.

The problem with the "Runner's Argument" is, quite frankly, it's weak and it's garbage. The reason I say that is, there are so many instances where you cannot run! When people like myself call it what it is, unrealistic garbage, we get flamed as bloodthirsty. It's not bloodthirsty at all. It's reality.

Alot of people ran at the San Yasidro McDonald's in the mid-80s from one James Huberty. Some made it, alot did not. A Police Sniper killed him some time later - after all of the damage was done, talk about a shallow victory. That's the equivalent of killing a rabid pit bull that has been cornered after it killed 12 kids in a playground. One Armed Citizen could have killed his worthless, psychotic ass right then and there when it happened.

Ditto Luby's Cafeteria. They say God works in mysterious ways, maybe all of those people died so one hundred times that many could possibly live later on because that was the incident that spurred Dr. Suzanna Gratia to lobby her Legislators for concealed carry in Texas.

Back to the original premise of your statement...

If someone runs in that "Luby's" they have decided to try to make the door or window before someone shoots them in the back. I see no "plus" to this. I see no plus to getting shot in the back on the street either.

You speak of animals and the animal kingdom. What you leave out is where the human predator and the animal predator meet in a unique place.

All of these people talking about running away ignore the fact that nothing gets a predator going hotter and faster than to have elusive prey. You run, you better be a damned good runner. Better not have a child...better be lucky.

I could go on, but why bother?

In nature there are predators and prey as well. No one says that a gazzelle let the Lion win when the gazzelle chooses to run from the lions rather than standing and fighting. No one accuses a crane of allowing the predator to dominate their lives when the crane chooses not to drink at the edge of the water where alligators are obviously nearby. Hypothetically, I am sure that if a monkey had a bananna and a predator wanted it the monkey would give it and run in order to save his hide.

If another crane in Austria invented the Glock handgun, would the crane have to fear the alligator at the waters edge?

Of course not. These statements are absurd. The lions have the "guns and knives" in the form of claws and teeth, etc.

Very interesting question; thanks one2gofst and Mr. Rearic. I see 2 issues:
We usually separate ourselves from animals by believing we have a consciousness; a higher plane of reasoning, a soul. We act on concepts of love, integrity, honor, sacrifice in addition to reason. While analogous actions may be seen in the "animal" world, we view them as hard-wired motivators. Hence, we refer to bad guys as animals and beasts; sub-humans - they respond only to the reptile brain. The rest of us can at least make a choice in a larger context: self-preservation vs. other reasons we may have to stand and fight. Why else would a sane man go ashore on Iwo Jima ?
Secondly, many martial artists are imbued with the idea that you learn to use - there is an obligation that goes with your training. Noblesse oblige, if you will. My teacher says "Do anything you can to avoid a fight" - but he also flatly states "If you see someone who can't defend themselves, you better do something about it". I bet many of us subscribe to the "women, children, and animal" protection theory. Old-fashioned maybe, but hey - I'm an old man :)
The rub is where to draw the line. Drunk harasses woman I step in. Psycho points gun I run away. Somewhere in-between it's grey. That's where we need to make our own decisions and live with the consequences.
Hypothetical question: you run from a couple of punks who threaten you. Next day you read they beat an old man senseless 20 minutes later. How do you feel when you go back to train all those lethal knife/stick/foot/hand blows? Is it only for yourself, or do you feel this knowledge and training incurs a greater responsibility? It's a question I think about a lot.

I don't involve myself in violence period. I'm not a Police Officer. I take some heat for that as well. I would be hard-pressed to involve myself in anything but the most clearcut situations for the simple reason - I don't know who I am dealing with. You know what I mean?

If you are taking an evening stroll and you see a man smack a woman, you don't know what is going on. I'm not a Police Officer. I do know enough Police Officers to know precisely why they HATE going on Domestic Violence/Dispute Calls.

The reason is, they get turned on at the drop of a hat. If a woman will turn on a uniformed and armed Police Officer trying to save her from her husband/boyfriend, you better believe in most cases they will turn on you faster as you have zero authority to get involved other than your own morality.

The only difference is, the Judge will believe the Police Officer's benevolence and he will NOT believe you. You could actually be accused of starting the whole altercation to begin with if no one else is around to side with you and the "abused" woman turns on you.

There are so many different scenarios...I would not get involved unless I really had a firm grasp of the situation.

If three young dudes have an old gent on the ground and they are applying the boot, that's probably a situation for involvement.

If three young dudes are struggling with an old man, what would you do? Not talking about applying the boot this time, you just see them "roughing the old man up." What would you do?

For all you know, the three guys are plainclothes Police Officers.

Now, you're sitting down and having a cup of rancid coffee at Burger King and someone pissed off at the world comes in and shoots three people before you even know what happened...that's something clearcut you can act on, in my opinion. By your action(s), you might not only save yourself, but a dozen or so others not armed...easy choice. No one will prosecute you for that if you have a CCW. If you do not, it depends on the area. If it is NYC, hope you like Rikers Island. :)

If it is a Southern State, like Missouri -mid-western, whatever... That might not play so well, politically, prosecuting you...

Exactly, Mr. Rearic - we all need to make our own decision as to where we become "involved" and at what level. If it's my community I'll act differently than if I'm in New York. One extreme is look the other way and walk on. The other is grab your Glock. Often I've found that simply looking and saying "What's going on?", or even stopping to stare while keeping my distance, can change a situation. Being alert, aware, and involved but not a physical part of things.
Story told to me by a Los Angeles Deputy:
If there's a streetfight in a given community; the Chinese will peek out their window, pull down the shade, and ignore it.
The Japanese will peek out the window, pull down the shade, and call the cops.
The Vietnamese will peek out their window, grab a weapon, and run out to join it.

Don, the question is not aimed specifically at you. I believe in the right of people to protect themselves as much as anyone. It just seems to me that some members would not even hear of retreat or avoidance as an option using the "I refuse to live my life in fear or be controlled by an animal" reasoning. That was the reason for my thinking. You are right about the animals being flawed and if they had a better way to fight back they probably would. This does not change the fact that they are ill-equiped to fight back and therefore favor avoidance and retreat.

As far as my responsibility for an old man who might or might not get beaten 20 minutes later, life is full of what ifs. You have no way of knowing what is going to happen in said situation. Guy lives across the hall might go on a shooting spree today. Doesn't mean I should go in there and cap him before he gets the chance.

Don, the question is not aimed specifically at you. I believe in the right of people to protect themselves as much as anyone. It just seems to me that some members would not even hear of retreat or avoidance as an option using the "I refuse to live my life in fear or be controlled by an animal" reasoning. That was the reason for my thinking.

More on this later. From a post I made elsewhere, I'll just cut and paste it here.

You are right about the animals being flawed and if they had a better way to fight back they probably would. This does not change the fact that they are ill-equiped to fight back and therefore favor avoidance and retreat.

They don't have Politicians and Police Officers disarming them or lobbying for same. It's a non-issue.

As far as my responsibility for an old man who might or might not get beaten 20 minutes later, life is full of what ifs. You have no way of knowing what is going to happen in said situation. Guy lives across the hall might go on a shooting spree today. Doesn't mean I should go in there and cap him before he gets the chance.

Another extremely flawed analogy.

The point the other Member was trying to make is, by acting, you may prevent someone else from being attacked because the very nature of the predator is to prey. If you do not stop them, they will go on to someone else.

It is not a matter of life being full of "What Ifs."

It is a matter of stopping someone or several people in that scenario who have shown a propensity for violence.

Your comment at the end is absolutely NOT related because the "guy" that lives "across the hall" might...MIGHT go off...and therefore you won't go in his apartment and shoot him on the GUESS that he might...

See what I'm saying?

You are comparing known predatory behavior and giving a flippant and flawed argument to condemn the other Member's point.

The guy across the hall has shown nothing, of course you do not go and "end" him.

There are few actual human predators out there.

There are many human jackels, however.

A predator hunts. A jackel scavanges.

I am wary of predators because they are truly dangerous.

I am aware of jackels because they are unpredictable.

I choose my fights rather than let them choose me.

I choose the ones worth being the victor.

I choose my own strategies, tactics, and techniques.

My reasoning is my own.

At the end of the day it is only me who knows how my day went, what battles I fought, how, and why.

Courage is the appropriate management of Fear.

Common sense and good judgement are the appropriate management of Courage.

"Winning" is not the same as being Victorious.

Don, the question is not aimed specifically at you. I believe in the right of people to protect themselves as much as anyone. It just seems to me that some members would not even hear of retreat or avoidance as an option using the "I refuse to live my life in fear or be controlled by an animal" reasoning. That was the reason for my thinking.

Cut and pasted from another Forum:

My Son had a platelet problem and we had to take him to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore City.

For those of you that do not know and Johns Hopkins will never tell you because they are a world renowned hospital...

JHH is located in the middle of a crack neighborhood.

People get shot all around that area, beaten, knifed, you name it, it happens there.

I asked the Doctor, "Isn't there anywhere else he can go?"

The Doc responded, "Yes, Children's Hospital in D.C."

I was like, well, if I have to get shot or knifed, better to be 15 - 20 miles from home instead of 40+.

When we got there, tried to get in the parking garage.

Employees Only.

Had to park in crack central in this ****** little parking lot they have up the street about 300 yards. Walk among the vermin milling about.

Donnie ended up staying the night there. We went to get him the next day and I believe we walked out the door, my memory is blurring, about 2:00PM, walked back among the cretins and back to the car.

That night, watching the news, someone was shot, I cannot remember the time but we looked at the discharge papers and it was about 30-45 minutes after we left. And the guy got shot so close they carried him into the Emergency Room Entrance.

That's one hell of a story but it is a true one.

The worst part of all was, we were speaking with a Nurse when we admitted my Son and we were saying, "Don't you have secured parking? This is hardly safe...blah blah blah..."

We were assured nothing would happen. Nothing happened, to us.

She blew us off and I more or less told her she had her head up her ass. I did not mind being in the neighborhood in the daytime because I had to go through it at night all the time. But my Wife and my newborn Son?

Good grief.

The point of this long, rambling story is this, sometimes, life takes an odd turn and you could find yourself in that place you think you would never have to go.

I always had to go through that area, it was no big deal to me, once you have been there at 3:00AM, daylight is a piece of cake.

But we had no other choice in the matter, it was this or nothing. Or, go to D.C. to a similar area. [shrug]

Don I agree, it was a poor analogy. I was trying to respond to your post before I left for class. I should have taken the time to think my response and reasoning better.

As far as the situation with your child I would say to look at my posts in another thread. I state that I can understand seeking to arm yourself in any way necessary if you have an unavoidable situation. However, I have a problem when this situation is one's own choosing and occurs with regularity. Your childs illness was neither anyone's choosing nor is it a situation one finds themself in regularly. So, if what you are looking for is that you are right, retreat or avoidance in that situation is not an option. You are right to prepare for dealing with a confrontation.

For the sake of discussion, so I can get a better grasp on your feelings, what if the guy who lives across the hall from me has been convicted of armed robbery? Is it then OK to deal with him swiftly and violently because he has shown violent and predatory behavior in the past? Where does one draw the line?

I think you're chasing your tail on the guy down the hall issue.

Where do you draw the line? When you see the violence, just as the other Member suggested. Not on guesses, etc.

As for the incident involving my Son, let me explain something to you otherwise...

Are we free? Really?

Are we allowed to go where we want to?

Obviously not because so many people step forward to say, "Ya better not go there! You'll get killed!"

Then, if you get assaulted or dead, people say, "I told him not to go there!"

But isn't that screwy? That means, if the criminals end up everywhere and nowhere is safe...you go nowhere.

No one is going to hang out in a crack neighborhood because they like it and if they do, they need their head examined.

ANYONE of us could be traveling, the car breaks down, with a couple hundred yards of walking, you could be on another planet. There are NO SAFE ZONES. It is a myth.

The problem I have with Greg W. and everyone that expresses the same opinion he does, in the other thread...is this...

Why is a Business Owner granted a "privilege" that I am not? Especially when we hear, "Your money is not worth your life, give it up!" Why should a Police Officer be safer when he is off-duty and eating with his family somewhere? Uhh...because they are technically never "Off-Duty?" Well, how convenient. :)

Being a Police Officer is employment and a privilege to serve your community. Being armed as a Citizen is a Right and an awesome responsibility. If you do not heed to that awesome responsibility, if you are not safe and do not show sound judgment, that Right can be restricted or eliminated. Much like voting and holding office can, etc.

It is, however, an American Right and the mere fact it is unpopular does not make it any less a Right and all of the calls to go downtown and demand your Civil Right to Carry in non-carry States is a bugle in the butt. A cop-out.

Don -

That's perhaps the primary difference between you and I:)

You have problems with people who offer views, positions, thoughts, and beliefs outside of yours.

I don't.

And here's one of mine as voiced quite well by former VN POWs Nick Rowe and Dan Pitzer, both great friends and mentors of mine.

We are truly free inside our mind. No one can take that freedom away from us, except us. No where on the planet is anyone 100% "free". Only within themselves, if they so choose.

That belief system and its practice got these two American heroes through nearly half a decade of physical imprisonment and torture, and allowed them to emerge unbroken.

And then to teach others the "secret" of their success.

What an honor to be one of their students.

As always,

GW

Originally posted by Sierra912
Don -

That's perhaps the primary difference between you and I:)

You have problems with people who offer views, positions, thoughts, and beliefs outside of yours.

I don't.

Greg,

With all due respect, we're not speaking about a rivalry between Ford and Chevy fans which is more or less the flippant side of what you are saying. This is about important things that goes to the heart of who we are as a People in this Country.

My safety and that of my family is more important than transient differences over food, vehicle preference and things like what type of music you want to listen to...

I am absolutely certain that there are issues important to you and you voice an opinion on them and you would have a definite problem with someone who ran counter to that.

But all of this is just a diversion anyway. You won't address anything. If anyone is going to compete in an arena of ideas and they are going to put forth ideas, they should at least be able to defend them instead of trying to put the other side on the defensive constantly. Which is precisely what you are doing right now.

Don,

If you have to resort to the level of emotional nonsense you're spewing forth about me or anyone else's opinions, observations, character, or otherwise...

Then do it on Practical Tactical.

This is a forum with specific rules and considerations. These have been offered and are in effect. You get no points for being rude, and Don...you are essentially rude.

If you don't want to play by the forum rules that's okay.

Take your ball and play elsewhere.

GW

Greg,

It's generally accepted that when people preface their remarks with statements like, "with all due respect," that they are in fact being respectful even though they may vehemently disagree.

As I stated before, I don't dislike you, quite the contrary. If you do not wish to see my mug around this forum anymore, that is perfectly fine as it is basically a place, at this point, where if one has a disagreement with you, they will be met with poor citation-writing analogies, etc. It's not worth the time at that point for either of us.

Like a prior poster stated, this is more about power than about an exchange because in order to have an exchange, there must be one! There is not one here at this point with regard to this topic and all related ones on the side.

It would not be much of a forum if the points of view were all the same. It does appear to be respectful, I approach ideas same as training. Take what you can use and discard what you can not, dis-agreement is not a form of dis-respect.

Sometimes like it or not the fight picks us all whether mental or physical. None of us can claim to be immune.

Actually, I had thought the exchange of ideas was very thought provoking so far. It really makes me reevaluate my ideas on "Flee or Fight". Thanks to both One2gofst and Mr. Rearic!

Respectfully,
Eek

Found the two comments re: "power" as applied to the moderator interesting.

What "power"?

"Power" via this forum?

Which is available world-wide at no cost and is an upaid or compensated "position" as moderator?

Where is the "power" in that, fellas?

Or "power trip" as the one participant offered?

Really?

I, as many other officers do, utilize the Verbal Judo Institute's unique 8-step approach when making traffic enforcement stops. It goes like this:

1. ID yourself by name
2. ID your agency by name
2a. Announce you are audio recording the contact (which I do)
3. Provide reason for the contact
4. Ask if there is any legitimate justification for the violation
5. Request license, registration, insurance paperwork
6. Request driver remain in the car for his or her safety
7. Review documents at patrol vehicle
8. Make decision to warn, cite, or arrest

Step #4 is critical. There are legitimate justifications for having committed a violation. Note I said legitimate, not legal. The officer is given latitude in traffic enforcement situations to evaluate the driver's response as part of the overeall equation. This is only possible if one utilizes the VJ 8-step approach as only this communications technique clearly offers the driver an opportunity to assist the officer in the decision making process. In other words, the driver is an equal partner in the contact POWER wise as to what may be the final decision.

Step #2a is likewise important. Audio recording the contact reminds the officer to be on his best behavior, and prevents him from getting sucked into a needless, emotional, long-winded debate with a driver. It also empowers the driver to likewise be civil and polite as the audio becomes evidence which can assist or detract from either party's case in traffic court. The only power practiced in my traffic contacts, therefore, is the power of polite, professional communications with a driver and/or occupants of the vehicle I've stopped.

Again, this is a Verbal Judo Institute tactical communications program which has been taught to over 750,000 U.S. police officers alone in the past 20 years.

Neither the officer nor the driver can "power trip" when the 8-step is the contact medium practiced, and the contact is audio recorded for potenial review by both the officer's department and the court.

You can learn more about Verbal Judo by visiting www.verbaljudo.com

:D

Don, if you enjoy posting here that's fine with me. I didn't boot you, I offered my opinion and a choice. You might read the "House Rules" thread I just posted. That's where I - and this Forum - are coming from.

Lighten up:) It ain't nothing but a web page:p

Back