Just got back from the doctors...

I just found out that I have a ganglion cyst (sp?) in my right wrist. The wrist has been bugging me on and off for a coupla years, especially during guard season in high school (I was on flag, sabre and eventually the rifle line). Cold weather seemed to bring it out too. I finally decided to get the damn thing checked out.

So as of an hour ago I have this irritating brace to wear, and was told to take it easy on my wrist. Which pisses me off, because that means no pushups (I'm trying to think of a way to do pushups that doesn't require a bent wrist, so far all i have is on the knuckles) and VERY limited range in what I can do in my gymnastics class. :( It also means a lot less bali manipulation. I didn't ask the doctor about that specifically, since I don't know the guy and don't want him to get a bad idea about me.:rolleyes:

I guess I can try to look at this in a good way: now I'll HAVE to practice with my left hand!

I'm going to get surgery eventually, I want to wait until the summer, because I don't want to be out of commission during the school year, for ROTC, gym, and academic reasons (writing and computer use).

Damn. I'm bummed. :( Maybe this can help out someone else though...if your wrists hurt for more than a few days and have a bump on 'em, GO TO THE DOCTOR! :p :D

Thought you might find this interesting. I started basic (1965) with a ganglion the size of large marble on my right wrist. Went on sick call. Doctor told me he could break it or I could just
go back to training. After eight weeks of pushups, it disappeared and never came back.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope it's not serious and that your surgery goes well. What is this thing anyway? Some sort of tumor or something?

Which pisses me off, because that means no pushups (I'm trying to think of a way to do pushups that doesn't require a bent wrist, so far all i have is on the knuckles)

Or fingertips. Fingertip pushups are very good for you.

Another option, of course is to just do one-handed pushups.

Another is to use pushup stands. These are usually used to allow a deeper pushup, but they also do straighten the wrist.

My balisong advice is to take this opportunity to bring your other hand up to speed.

Dude, that is not cool. Hope you get fine after your surgery, and don't have to amputate your hand or something.
Would it by the way be possible to manipulate a bali with a protese hand? Like the one captain Hook has? :p
Originally posted by PeaceFrog
I guess I can try to look at this in a good way: now I'll HAVE to practice with my left hand!
It had to go this far, eh? ;) :p (Reffering to emails.)

Thanks for all the replies, guys! No, its not very serious as I understand it. Not a tumor - according to the doctor here, the ligaments in my wrist spread out too far and let a bubble of liquid form (the cyst) on my wrist. I gets painful at times, but usually it's no big deal. When it gets going though, anything involving lots of wrist bending/rotation starts to suck.

navajo - That's good news, but mine's been coming round on and off for a while now. I'd say when I bend my hand down, it shows up tp be abot the size of a marble, maybe a bit smaller. Plus, when it's at the most aggravating (like now) I can't even do a pushup in normal position, the weight on the bent wrist makes it hurt and then give...

Gollnick - I can't do very many fingertip pushups in a row, but it's a good idea!

And yeah, gonna have to practice/carry on my left side for a while! I really need to, my left skills are seriously almost nonexistant.

Ixpfah - heheh, yeah. I'm that lazy! ;) I've lived with this thing for a few years, so I doubt I'll need to have my hand cut off! :D

Off to a lab, whee...

My sister had surgery last week to have one removed. It had been growing pretty quickly and was really starting to hinder her work. It was sore for a couple days after, but she was back to work in a couple days. When you are ready have the surgery.

They used to call ganglion cysts "Bible Cysts". They did that because in the old days when one had one of these cysts the doc used to grab his bible and slam it onto the cyst to crush it. The bible was big and flexible enough to do this. It actually worked....for a while and then they would grow back. Even surgery is no guarantee it won't come back. Most are not bothersome but those that are, are sometimes drained and a steroid is injected into them. I would talk to your doctor about that before getting surgery. Just my $0.02. Many orthopedic surgeons do these and the cysts are quite common.

Greg Mete, PA-C

Ouch man..

Sorry to hear about the cyst!! Like Chuck said, fingertip pushups are most excellent for you. Builds finger strength, and you're still doing pushups. I used to try to do finger tip pushups and clap! Not a good idea...
One-handed pushups- you will probably find you need to spread ur legs for balance to do them. If the situation allows, you can do pushups on 5 to 10lb barbells, by placing them on them ground and grabbing the bars. This allows you to keep your wrists straight, like a knuckle pushup, but moves the pressure to your palms.
Good luck..

Chris

Bummer, man -- get it fixed and get back to us, swing that other hand --- every cloud has a silver lining. Keep in touch and let us know what's happening.

Andrew...I wouldn't bother waiting if the Ganglion is the typical variety. The procedure is out-patient and really heals quickly. The ganglion simply forms when the sheath of a tendon or tendons.., becomes underlubricated not allowing the tendon to slide freely in hyper-flexed positions. Colder weather does worsen the condition.., so I'd go ahead and just get it done. I'll bet you can do push-ups and start twirling again with both hands in about two-weeks. :)

In recent years.., they have got the in-office procedure down to a very simply undertaking.., and unless there are complications that your physician hasn't detailed for you yet.., it'll be fine in no time! Good luck..., hope it's fine...

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Bummer Andrew. Not the end of the world. Heed Pete's advice, it's not that complicated a procedure (unless you're not telling us something), and ROTC will understand. I busted a knee and was in a cast for 6 weeks, they excused me no problem. Gynamstic's, that's a different story. And work on that left hand dammit... It's always a good skill to have.

That's a real bummer Andrew. :( But like Ouch said, take it as serendipity. Your left hand is bound to get some serious practice time now. And who knows, maybe you'll come up with a way to do wristless manipulations and teach us all something! :D Keep us up-to-date bro!

Thanks again for all the kind words, everyone. It's been a few days, and this thing is less of a pain in the arse, but still sort of annoying. Thanks for the info on the healing time, Pete and clint97. I figure I'll go get surgery (or do the injection thing if the orthopedic surgeon recommends that) right before spring break (about 2 weeks from now).

Greg - Now that you mention it, I do recall having heard that somewhere before. My gymnastics teacher said that he had one when he was younger and tried to hit it with a dictionary :eek: but he said all that ended up happening was it hurt like crazy.

Back