Just got back from the post office, HOLY COW!

Finally made it to the post office where there were not one, but three packages waiting for me. More good blades from Cantina good guys. From Erik (Tohatchi) a fine Sher made BAS and a beautiful 18" AK made by Bura, both well honed, well tested, and headed off to battle. From Steve Ferguson, a BAS by Sanu, and a 15" Siru by Sher that's so sweet I can quit moping about giving up my Bura Siru. That's right guys, this one's going in the old sarge's duffel bag, and the young pups best keep their grubby little mitts well clear of it. Steve used his knifemaking skills to regrind the edge bevels on the Siru's Karda, and let me tell y'all that thing is like a scalpel.

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I opened the third box from Bob (Bobwhite). At the risk of embarrassing Bob, this is the second shipment of knives he's sent, and every single blade fit for a warrior. Inside the box was an 18", wood handled, Bir Ghorka villager Sirupati, made by Kumar. Fierce is the only way to describe this one. Made my skin crawl to handle it, it creates it's own energy, your hand just guides it (and no, I've not been drinking). Out of the same box came a horn handled Chitlangi by Kumar that is a blade truly fit for a nobleman, a war chieftan. I know just such a man, he's a Lt. Colonel assigned as our squadron operations officer. In Afghanistan he served as my commander, and I his first sergeant. As things turn out, it will be the same going into Iraq. Bob, with your permission, and as a point of pride and honor, I would like to present this blade to my field commander. Just between us, I can't wait to see the looks he'll get carrying this khuk. And trust me, I know him, he will most surely carry it.

I've said it before, but can't say it enough, to all the gang here in the forum that have pitched in, thank you. Your blades will be carried and used with honor, in the cause of freedom, and with peace as the ultimate goal.

Sarge

Would love to have pictures of any of the guys getting their khuks, but especially of the Lt. Colonel either receiving or wearing that khuk.

With all the new knives out that're supposed to grow hair on your chest, ( the Yarborough for the berets, the Seal 2000 by SOG, the Silver Trident by Gerber, and multiple others ) and other successors to the Parrish knives, I can't wait to see it happen.

You know what I mean: some airborne unit, or berets, seals, marine recon or such, go to load up on a plane and find everyone from the Lt. Col. to the lowest private of the local Air Force "flying truck drivers corps" wearing khuks that give their macho fighting knives a case of pen** envy.

I'd match my 15" Siru against the best of the so called "combat knives" on the market. Still, some folks out there do like 'em. I've handed out my Sykes Fairbairn, a Blackjack Applegate Fairbairn, and the M-9 bayonet I got issued in Desert Storm to guys that wanted 'em. Like I've said before, I'm not a collector, and besides, now that I know about khuks I ain't got much use for them little toad stickers.

Rusty, I'll sure enough take some pics when we present that Chitlangi to the colonel. He's a good guy, and I ain't saying that because he's the boss. I have a very vivid memory of our last night in Afghanistan. He didn't want to leave, you could tell. He worked around the clock like a man possessed, to make sure our replacements had everything they needed, and knew everything they needed to know, to take the hand off and carry on operations. Finally, about five minutes before we were supposed to be at the airfield, he comes stumbling up looking like dead meat on a stick, and in a quiet voice shaky with fatigue says, "I've done all I know how to do.........Sarge, get us home".

Tomorrow I go see off our first batch of guys heading over there. My turn's coming soon. I ain't as young as I used to be, but if my knowledge and experience can help get those young people back here in one piece, I have no regret whatsoever in going.

Sarge

Sarge, you know I was tzn, but I'm sure glad I did it cause you answered better than I could ever have hoped for. That makes two people I've never met that I very much admire and hope to shake their hands some day. You and your Lt. Colonel.

You two are special people, the kind that inspire others to give their best. I'm not b.s.ing when I say I'm in awe when I hear about people like you two carrying forward the best traditions of the military service and serving as examples for others to aspire to. What you do makes me think of the carrying and the passing of the Olympic torch from one hand to another.

My highest regards to the two of you and those with you who share a commitment to not only serve but care as best you can for your people.

Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.

( Where there is charity and love, there is God. )

No need to wish God to be with you. You and the Col. have already demonstrated that.

Great to come back online and see this stuff. I have had a bad case of the financial "kicked in the head" lately, and this was just the thing to inject some perspective. Brings tears to my eyes!

BTTT ( back to the top ) - still waiting for pictures - although pics of pecs, the female kind, wouldn't be turned down.

OK, pics of you and the Colonel posted. Thanks to both of you.

Not a very flattering pic of me, but then I've never been much to look at. Wearing my "scary haircut" to let the boys know it's almost go time.:D

Sarge

Back