Just got my 110FG

And BOY AM I IN LOVE WITH THE DAMN THING!!

I have a lot of hi tech Knives... and to have this old time beauty in my hand is stunning...

Anyone looking for a knife then please get one of these babies :)

Yep...
Quality, when added to form, fit, and function, are timeless.
Congrats Mav...
Goose.
BCCI 1190
LSMFT

Nice addition to the collection.
I got one from the custom shop 4 weeks ago,BG-42,stag w/finger grooves,brown sheath ,EDC it.So far only cut rope and boxes with it.
I can't hardly wait for hunting season.

I must admit its a keeper. Its a beautiful knife.. and the finishing and quality is outstanding. But thats what you expect from Buck really. And its Scary sharp out of the box. And the leather pouch is a real plus too

Will get more too... :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm really getting curious about the new 110's. My '87 model has never failed me, nor did I ever think it cut poorly or was hard to sharpen.

Can someone fill me in on when the "new" edge grind came into use? I may have to check one out just to compare. From what I've read, it sounds like the new grind just about matches the edge I've put on my knife after many many sharpenings... only they did it right the first time lol.

*smile* a high-quality knife I can actually afford to buy even though I don't really need it... Buck will always have a place in my heart for that simple reason.

P.S. I mentioned to my dad recently that I had cleaned up my old 110... he asked, kind of surprised, "You still have that Buck knife? I thought sure you woulda broken it by now!"
:) To my Dad, the 110 was and is THE "Buck Knife". Any other lockback is either a "mini-Buck Knife" (501, 112, etc.) or an "imitation Buck Knife". :D

He he I did not 'need' a 110FG but just wanted one.. I am more of a collector than a user. I will still have my Benchmade as my EDC... but without any doubt the 110FG beats it in every department. But when I get my Gerber 650 up and together then I may retire the Benchmade for a bit.... because I really class the Gerber as "disposable"... and I really like my Benchmade... ho hum decisions decisions... :)

Evil Eye Earl said:
1999 is when Buck started the new edge

Wellll isn't that interesting... '99 is the year my daughter was born! Wonder if I can find one for a reasonable price to commemorate the year... like i really "need" an excuse to buy another Buck, heheh.

He he I dont need another reason.

But I admit I love the old style 110 over the hi tech new Tempest for example :)

I carry mine everyday and use it on light stuff .I will use it a lot this hunting season.I was going to make it a safe queen,but read on someones post that said life is too short to carry an ugly knife.When someone asks for a knife I pull it out and hear WOW that's a nice knife...when I tell them it's a Buck 110
they can't believe it.

Yeah, I agree with both of you. I've seen much more expensive knives that don't come close to looking as good or, more importantly, feeling as solid as a "plain" Buck. I recently picked up an '05 501 and a '99 309 and was very pleased to see they exhibit the same high quality I've come to expect.

P.S. now that I compare my 110 and 501, I see the difference in the grind. Now my only question is whether to order a ATS-34 or BG-42 custom 110.... any comments on those two steels? I value toughness over edge-retention, if I have to choose between the two.

My other EDC is a Buck /strider police tarani w/ATS 34.I keep on my ditty bag,the scales were too rough for my pocket,kept knocking the bark off of my knuckles.It is serreated.
Out of the box the 110 w/BG-42 is better cutting than the ATS-34.
I haven't had the chance to use the Buck /strider on any seat belts or rope .
Now I need to go and test both of them on some belts and rope.

Yep, there is just something special about the Buck 110.

I have been EDCing my Alaskan Guide 110 for over a month now and I love it!
I can't wait to get my Custom Shop Buck 110.
It should be here in about two more weeks (hopefully).

I chose the BG-42, and although I don't have any personal experience with that blade-steel, I have never heard anything bad about BG-42 here on the forums.
And I also noticed that lots of Sebenza fans prefer the older BG-42 Sebenza over the newer S30V model.

I'll let you folks know how the BG-42 Custom Shop 110 compares to the S30V Alaskan Guide 110, once I get the Custom model.

Maverick4546 said:
I really class the Gerber as "disposable"...

I know what you mean... I witnessed a nasty car accident on the highway yesterday and it inspired me to go straight to Gander Mountain and buy a "seatbelt" knife... locking folder with aggressive serrations. Something to keep in the center console for "just-in-case".

They didn't have any Spyderco's (I never owned one but I hear a lot of EMT's carry them) or any Buck folders other than 110, 112 etc. I settled on a Gerber AR300 but if they had had a suitable Buck in stock, I definitely would have bought that instead.

The Gerber just doesn't feel as sturdy as I like and I don't know what kind of steel it is... "440 stainless" they call it, but is it 440A, 440C, what? When I pick up a US-made buck I have absolute confidence in what it is and what it can do.

What will probably happen is, I'll find a Buck for this purpose and give the Gerber to my girlfriend for her car.

...LOL...Maverick...Just got a package delivered the other day containing a 110 FG with the BG-42 blade...Still have to figure out how to explain that to the wife too. You're definitely gonna love that knife. The BG-42 is a terrific steel and after a few swipes on the strop it's hair-poppin' sharp and stays that way. Just a great knife...:thumbup:

GibsonFan said:
They didn't have any Spyderco's (I never owned one but I hear a lot of EMT's carry them)

GF, you might want to look at the Buck Code 3 Crosslock. It was designed as an emergency/rescue knife. Get your G/F one also. Good Luck, Preston

Yep the BG-42 is nice.... I think I prefer the BG42 to the ATS34 on the Tempest. Seems to be a much nicer steel. But cosmetically and for the fact when you are holding a 110 you really feel that you are holding a knife.. and not a bloody toy... the Gerber feels like a knife wannabe...... the Tempest is nice..the ATS34 on the Tempest is nice... but the 110 looks the business and feels the business.. does that make sense or am I losing it?

Sounds good to me ,I notice the better feel of the Buck 110 compared to my other EDC Buck/Strider,maybe the weight helps in cutting.The BG-42 just slices so smooth.

pjsjr said:
you might want to look at the Buck Code 3 Crosslock. Good Luck, Preston

That looks promising, although for this very specific purpose I only need the serrated blade. I like the fact that it's a sheep's foot style, better to not stab myself in the chest if I ever do have to get the heck out from under a jammed seat-belt.

I think I'm going to stick with a single, serrated blade for in the car. If I ever need it, I'm not going to want to take that millisecond to choose between blades.I'm bidding on a 199x Pilot with one serrated blade; if I get it I think I'll work the tip down to a round shape. If not I'll keep looking :)

You guys may think I'm being a bit silly, but that accident I saw really made me think. The truck ended up on its roof; if there hadn't been other people around the driver would have had a tough time getting out of that belt (mind you, if she hadn't been wearing a seat belt, she would surely have been badly hurt, that truck was MESSED UP. Me, my woman and our kids wear our seatbelts EVERY time.)

Anyway I think spending a few bucks ( no pun intended) on a knife I hopefully will never use, is worth a little piece of mind.

Back