Review Just got my AKB!!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KyvXmrzSsvmcHGFy1

I just received my Ang Khola Bowie yesterday and boy was I surprised! Let me preface this by saying that the AKB was never high on my list of HI knives to get. I think Bowie's are beautiful but have always come up short for me in the chopping department. Things like splitting fire wood for kindling, cutting brush or building shelters always seemed harder with my Trailmaster or Randall #1-8" than a khukuri. A CAK or Tin Chirra just felt easier to use and more practical. That might be an apples/oranges comparison but is my experience. However listening to a few of our well known members rave about how they love their AKB I took notice. There had to be a reason that they fell for the design so when a DOTD popped up I jumped on it and emailed Yangdu, as always she was right on it and Tuesday the postman dropped off my triangle box.
First thing I noticed was the balance...this does not feel like a Bowie at all, it feels way better! Forward heavy but not cumbersome, the 26 oz blade moves with authority and very nasty on a snap-cut. The handle is comfy, large and usable..kinda like an old Land Rover. It might not win any beauty contests but you fall in love with it's practicality and boy did Kumar do a really great job on the mirror polish and the fitting of the scales!
Next I went to the shop and touched up the edge a bit, shaving sharp is my personal preference and in very little time that was done. Making leather goods is a hobby so cobbling up a heavy duty leather sheath so that it would fit my gear was next, 10oz leather with copper rivets and a Sam Brown stud. The sheath that it came with was perfectly fine and very practical but being left handed I am use to making my own.
Then the AKB went out to our backyard (we live in town for the next few months) and helped me trim some Mulberry and Osage Orange trees. The tempering was perfect, no dings or dents and the edge stayed sharp. This blade really hits HARD, like almost Khukuri hard, biting deep into the hardwood, especially the green stuff. It is compact, comfortable and cuts like a dream. The design is growing on me more and more with use and my guess is that it's going to be in my kit for a while.

Whatever the morally acceptable version of jealousy is...yeah I have that.

Also, a fantastic well-written informative review.

Thanks for sharing RockFarm. I don't have one "YET" but it intrigued me enough to the point of watching it pretty close. It just might be one of my next purchases!

Welcome to the fold;)

They really do need to be held to be appreciated. If I could only own one knife of any kind, the AKB would be it.

Fantastic write up:)

Dang Dude! Id have to break your whole post down to share my feelins! Thats good tho! You just nailed what I felt after my first! Ergonomics are perfect for the purpose! The thing is them Kamis managed to find a way to take the balance to power ratio and implement it through all the sizes. Thats good cause its gonna make you want more sizes:D That front heavy balance and distal taper front and back just makes a killer chopper. I do have to say that there's probably less than a handful of people that have posted video evidence that they can actually execute a snap chop naturally and id add you to that list. Hope you enjoy it!
I typically have to touch up the sharpness thing because I think the Kamis do a final polish after the final sharpening for cosmetic reasons. I noticed it only takes a single swipe of the finest stone or whatever you sharpen with to give a micro toothiness to the edge and its razor hair popin sharp again. Let me know if you want to rid of some of that Osage orange. I use it for making weapons like atlatls etc. Enjoyed your writeup! Well done! ENJOY!!!

Thanks guys for the kind words, this AKB has really grown on me! I knew that there was something to it with the reports that our members had written and they were right. Ndoghouse, thanks for the compliment! I do love chopping with big blades... it's kinda therapeutic :)

Back