Just happened to notice on my Kami's Mark Medallion.....

I don't remember just when I got my medallion, but I've looked at it many, many times, but looking is not always "seeing.":eek:

I just happened to pay attention tonight that there are ( 8 ) Eight kami's mark's on it!!!!!!
Not seven as there is on my list!!!!!!!

I actually *noticed* the eighth mark the other day when we were talking about the kami's mark's but it just didn't register with me and so my statement that, "looking is not always "seeing."
(And what really gets me is that I help people *see* instead of just *looking.*:eek: ) I don't mind laughing at myself, but here lately it's beginning to be excessive.:D

From right of center top on my medallion and going clockwise there is...............

1- Sanu's cross.

2- ******'s trisul.( I know (think) that I saw the Trisul mentioned the other day?:confused:

3- the mark I've never "seen" before. It appears to be something like a small mound with perhaps what's representing a fire on it's top, or an upside down butter lamp with the flame on the dome side intead of in the hollow(?).

4- Prakash's small khukuri.

5- Bura's cresent moon.

6- Sher's full sun.

7- Kumar's six pointed star.

8- Kesar's half sun.

The list I have of the kami's mark's are.....

1- Bura = crescent moon.

2- Kumar = six pointed star.

3- Kesar = half sun.

4- Prakash = small khukuri.

5- Sanu = cross.

6- Sher = full sun.

7- Khadka = fish.

Khadka's fish isn't shown on my medallion.
I don't have who the Trisul belongs to on my list.
I don't have who the mystery mark belongs to on my medallion, nor have I seen it mentioned.(?):confused: again.

I'm now wondering what this tidbit of info may have on Uncle Bill's mind.;)
And any conclusions that may have been concluded when we were talking about kami marks just the other day.:p :rolleyes: :eek:

Will everyone who has the medallion with the kami mark's on it please get them out and *see* what's actually marked on them?
I'm now beginning to wonder if maybe there may be more than one model of medallion.
Now wouldn't *that* be a kick in the arse and open a whole 'nother door on collecting? (VBESEG)

Yvsa, don't have the medallion, but I do know that the Tristul mark is that of Murali. I have a BAS that he made, and it is the prettiest of the knives I have from Birghorka. Unfortunately (IIRC) he got T.B. and had to stop making knives. :( That was doubly bad...Not only is it bad that he got sick, but that he had to stop making knives, also. I honestly think that he may have been on a par with Bura or Sanu.

Matt, I couldn't agree more about Murali! My favorite khuk a 15" Chiruwa AK was made by him--its a shame he's gone:(

Yvsa,

My medallion has the exact same marks as yours. Except, the "wheel of marks" is rotated clockwise so that Bura's cross is in the 5 o'clock position then Murali at 6-7 o'clock etc...

It is also my understanding that the trisul is Murali's mark.

Well, mine is quite a bit different. For one thing, it only has 6 kami marks. And the order sounds different from what you guys describe. From the top, going clockwise, they are the crescent moon (or sun), 6-pointed star, "hairy eyeball", cross, half-sun, and a trident-looking kind of thing that must be the trisul you mention.

I too am sorry to hear the kamis are playing musical chairs with the marks. Feels like a break in the personal connection, somehow.

Yvsa,

Mine sounds just like yours.

This is about as close as my Canon digital camera can go. I could go much closer with one of my 35mm's and a macro lens but then I would have to develop the film and then scan on a flat bed. You just have to love digital cameras for 97% of what you need in photos!

small_medallion.jpg

What a great shot, Gregg!

Maybe it's time to start "signing" khukuris rather than using marks. First name only since they all have the same last name.

What do you think? We could get one guy who can write to "sign" for those who can't.

I think it's a good idea, too, and we'll do it. I'll make a "warning" post thread about change from signs to sigs.

This is about as close as my Canon digital camera can go. I could go much closer with one of my 35mm's and a macro lens but then I would have to develop the film and then scan on a flat bed. You just have to love digital cameras for 97% of what you need in photos

Yep. That is a great close-up shot! And that is why I don't post more photos--have to shoot it, then process, edit and scan. Takes alot of time:( Down the road my wife and I plan on getting a digital for family pics (and khukuri shots:D ).

Btw, Gregg my medallion is exactly like yours--orientation and everything

Originally posted by tulsamal
Yvsa,

Mine sounds just like yours.

Gregg they're identical. I like the idea of the signing of the first names as it should end any confusion from now on.
For future use of the determined kami mark's I for one would like to know what the top symbol in Gregg's pic represents and who it
belong(s)(ed) too?

Anyone?:)

Pala just took a look and he doesn't remember and neither do I. Yangdu says it's an early rendition of KNN's butterlamp.

Back