Just picked up another push dagger

Good morning fellas, in the past I had purchased the safe maker one push dagger. I didn't really care for it much due to the fact that it was hard to cut anything with it except for thrusting. I purchased it for around $40 and I sold it for I think 85 dollars. But then I found myself in a situation the other day that I really could have used it or would have liked to have it on my hip at that time. So I was shopping around for a new one and returned to Cold steel safe maker one. Can somebody please help me with the country of origin. I've read reviews that say it's made in China and I've read reviews that say it's made in Taiwan. I purchased mine from KC and it says Taiwan. It is being shipped and is on the way. With that out of the way I would like to know your opinion on how effective these blades are? Do you use one? When do you use it? Where do you use it? And how often do you use it? That's a lot of questions to ask but I'm just curious. Thank you in advance for your answers and opinions gentlemen. If you feel that it is a piece of garbage feel free to say, it won't hurt my feelings.
Curious

The Safemaker is primarily a weapon, so it is not defective if it doesn't work well as a tool.

Previous CS push knives and push daggers were designed to be weapons and tools, some more tool than weapon such as the Mini Pal and Urban Pal.

The older Safekeepers had conventional edges but also cost significantly more, maybe twice the price of the Safemakers and in 1990s dollars.

I purchased both sizes of Safemaker last year.

I've only used them in training a little bit.

I've practiced drawing it from the waistband into a punch with the knife carried on the same side as the punching hand.

The two tabs inside the sheath need to be filed down in order for the knife to be drawn rather than drawing the knife and sheath when you punch.

People who think it is stupid to punch from the hip don't realize that such a punch can be more than a simple punch.

The Safemaker is primarily a weapon, so it is not defective if it doesn't work well as a tool.

Previous CS push knives and push daggers were designed to be weapons and tools, some more tool than weapon such as the Mini Pal and Urban Pal.

The older Safekeepers had conventional edges but also cost significantly more, maybe twice the price of the Safemakers and in 1990s dollars.

I've practiced drawing it from the waistband into a punch with the knife carried on the same side as the punching hand.

The two tabs inside the sheath need to be filed down in order for the knife to be drawn rather than drawing the knife and sheath when you punch.

People who think it is stupid to punch from the hip don't realize that such a punch can be more than a simple punch.
Yeah like an uppercut. In reality I didn't want to sell the one that I had. But a security guard friend of mine just had to have it. I only had it for about a week. I'm going to give it another try. Knowing what it is. It was very cheap so if I don't like it again I'm not out of bunch of money. I think the last to go around I was expecting it to cut like a knife. Which it won't, but I know what it will do. Edit Lynn Thompson shows on one of his videos where he slices open a pig carcass. I think that's what deceived me.

The SafeMaker is chisel-ground. If you want one that should cut better (I say should cuz I think so, but not really sure), see if you can find one of the SafeKeepers.

The SafeMaker is chisel-ground. If you want one that should cut better (I say should cuz I think so, but not really sure), see if you can find one of the SafeKeepers.
Is it still made in Taiwan? Some reviews say China. But KC says Taiwan?

There are lots of sound reasons for push daggers.

One that most people don't realize is how comfortable and hidden they are to carry without that extra 4" poking ya in the guts

I recently purchased the CS Urban Edge. It's smaller than the Safemakers. It's chisel ground. The point is sharp, but the sides aren't. I'm going to try sharpening the edges. I have stabbed things easily, but it doesn't cut very good. It's very light and easy to carry in my opinion.

I was thinking about trying to sharpen it myself, but I must admit I've never sharpened a chisel grind. So I don't think I'm going to touch it but first I got to get it. It's somewhere in Virginia right now

The Safemaker is a type of single grind but not a chisel grind. It has the same grind as the CS Counter Tac and Boker Applegate-Fairbairn Boot Knife, and IIRC Rex Applegate said it was based on the grind used on some types of yari (Japanese spears.)

The Urban Edge does have a chisel grind and should be better for utility purposes, but the Safemaker is pretty much just for punching.

For utility and for a cutting weapon the old Urban Skinner would be a better choice but I don't think CS will bring back many older models.

The Safemaker is a type of single grind but not a chisel grind. It has the same grind as the CS Counter Tac and Boker Applegate-Fairbairn Boot Knife, and IIRC Rex Applegate said it was based on the grind used on some types of yari (Japanese spears.)

The Urban Edge does have a chisel grind and should be better for utility purposes, but the Safemaker is pretty much just for punching.

For utility and for a cutting weapon the old Urban Skinner would be a better choice but I don't think CS will bring back many older models.
I doubt it, they do not have situational awareness. Somewhere in all this mess they forgot about their customers. They ain't going to bring out any of the old stuff. They can't even bring out anything new. That's just the way it is I guess.

I didn't file any tabs off. I just bent the opening up a little bit. The part that has two slits going down the side I don't know what to call it. I didn't use any heat I just grabbed it and bent it as hard as I could and it slides in and out pretty good now. And still has decent retention.

Retired LEO here. I kept a Cold Steel push dagger behind my magazine pouch on my duty belt for many years. Thankfully, I never had to use it. It had one purpose only and that was self defense in case things got horribly out of control.
That's what I understand, I read that police officers and military personnel really like them. If it's good enough for you guys it's good enough for me.

Back