K20 Saya

SwarthyGnome

Gold Member
Hello!
I made a saya for my K20! It is not complete.
I learned a lot from this endeavor, especially to not begin something you have never done using a wood like Osage.
Join me on this pictograph journey:
IMG_0959.jpeg

Starting material. Beautiful block I have had some some time now…
IMG_0960.jpegIMG_0961.jpeg
My outlet blew while I was cutting this in half. You will see some of the battle scars.

IMG_0962.jpegIMG_0963.jpegIMG_0965.jpeg
I wanted to try somewhat “traditional methods” and got a small Japanese hand Plane. Last time I used a plane was 20years ago? I was bad then and I was bad now. Lessons were learned. I made a concavity. Yikes.

IMG_0966.jpeg
1/4in Chisel from Home Depot worked well. The grain was whack to work. Also. Somehow along the way the boards were flipped? I dunno but working one direction didn’t work on the other so I had to put it down, flip it and reverse it.
IMG_0975.jpeg
Sanded a little bit.
IMG_0973.jpeg
It fits!!
I would love to say it was due to my immeasurable skill and innate talent… but it is likely due to the slight warp I made while attempting to plane so a hot-spot is keeping enough tension. D3V and tough. I am not worried about it.
IMG_0974.jpeg
This won’t be going in anyone’s fap bank :(
So the boards I cut really didn’t have enough width for the curve of the blade so I had to angle them some, resulting in needing to cut the end at an angle. When I was doing this my blood sugar was dropping so I made a few mistakes and ended up calling it a night before I ruined the whole thing.

PART TWO BELOW.

Here's a tanto / shirasaya (probably cut down from a wakizashi) from the Shinto or Shin Shinto era which I purchased from a master smith who was a collector of fine Japanese blades of antiquity and which I have passed on to a friend of Japanese heritage. The workmanship was incredibly precise and would keep me fascinated for hours.

tanto.jpg

Back