KA-BAR Chat thread - Come on in the house

Please tell me more. My Mark 1 with a leather handle came with a leather black sheath. There is a suspicion that they are from Ka-Bar Short. Has anyone come across a mention of a black leather scabbard for the Mark 1? At least in the company's catalog for 2020, I did not find them. But this catalog does not contain Mar 1 part serrated either, but we know that they were produced. Help me please :(

The USN MK1s with stacked leather come with brown leather sheaths. The black Kraton handled versions come with a black plastic Molle compatible sheath.

The black Shorty leather sheath. model #1256S, is capable, just barely, of holding the MK1 knives.

The USN MK1s with stacked leather come with brown leather sheaths. The black Kraton handled versions come with a black plastic Molle compatible sheath.

The black Shorty leather sheath. model #1256S, is capable, just barely, of holding the MK1 knives.

As I understand it, the Short has 1 layer of leather as a spacer to protect the threads from the blade (right on photo), and the mk1 has 2 layers of leather as a spacer (left)?

I used the Short scabbard for mk1 for a while - at first the knife came in too tight, but then the skin stretched out, and, in principle, I can't say that something prevented me from continuing to use them if I hadn't stumbled upon the company's 2020 catalog.

The dimensions of the scabbard are absolutely identical, except for the number of leather spacers.
I only suspected that something was wrong after I bought the Short after the mk1 with brown scabbard, and the number of spacers was the first thing that caught my eye, but I thought it was a difference depending on the year of manufacture, and the scabbard is the same for these models.

Last edited:
I ask a question that I have now removed. I didn't know I couldn't say what I paid for a knife. Asking the group if I got a good deal or not. My bad I removed the question. Sorry about that. I'm reading the site rules before I post again.

Last edited:
I ilikebigblades certainly a good idea to read the rules. No big deal you didn’t know and now you do. Don’t stop posting.

It’s confusing because people talk about value all the time. So new members think it’s ok. But unless you are a paying gold member you can’t talk about the value.

I’d like to see pictures of your Warthogs too

New product Wednesday!
Kinda looking forward to the folding saw.
Now for the wait until it lands at Tomar's.

Back