KA-BAR Navy MK1.....The first 30 minutes.

I finally picked up my first Ka-Bar. A Navy Mk1. I've been curious about these knives for a while, but honestly, I really don't have any need for it. Still, it was only $75 so I thought, what the heck.

First impression is pretty good. Fit and finish is overall good, but the pin that holds the pommel in place was clearly pressed in after the pommel had the finish applied. It was then cut off and stands about 1/32" proud of the pommel edge. it's slightly rough from the cut, but I'm sure I can smooth it out with a jewelers file. Other than that, no complaints. Everything is tight, and fits nicely. The blade is very sharp, and I tested it out by doing a little "whittling" on a couple of branches I picked up in the back yard, and on a piece of very hard oak, left over from a woodworking project. The knife performed as expected, and was still sharp enough to slice phone book paper afterwards. I believe the black finish is some type of epoxy coating, and seems quite durable. I love the feel of stacked leather handles, even if this one is a little slick. The sheath seems very serviceable, and I believe it will hold up fine.

Now, I have small hands, and my guitars remind me of that every day. As others have pointed out, the handle on this knife is indeed, quite short. It still works for me, but I can see how it would be an issue for someone with larger hands. If you are able, I would recommend trying it out for size, before purchasing. I've added a couple of pictures of the MK1, along with the Ontario pilot's survival knife, for comparison.

Over all I'm very happy with the purchase, and think it will be a great utility/general purpose/camp knife.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
excellent pictures!
ita the first side by side shot i've seen.
they're both capable knives.
thank's for sharing :)
btw you might wanna consider
coating leather with waterrproof creams... and yes it darkens the leather.

Tripple_D,try tapping the pin in with a little pin punch,it may not be seated all the way in.
I have found this to be somewhat common on most of the newer knives I've bought recently.

The powdercoating on the blade is tough,but will wear off in time.
I strip it anyway when I do rehandles,and let them colour up naturally.

I also have small hands and not a fan of this handle,especially the length,shape and weight,but like the blade.
Dont worry about the handle being slick,just using it will make it better.

These are great little projects to rehandle,if you so choose.

I gave the pin a few taps with a small punch, and it didn't move at all. It's rock solid. A couple of strokes with a small file smoothed it right out. Some type of leather balm/waterproof coating for the sheath may be next. I've been thinking about trying my hand at making a sheath for another knife I have, so leather craft may be my next hobby (as if I don't have enough to do already). We'll see. :)

I finally picked up my first Ka-Bar. A Navy Mk1. I've been curious about these knives for a while, but honestly, I really don't have any need for it. Still, it was only $75 so I thought, what the heck.

First impression is pretty good. Fit and finish is overall good, but the pin that holds the pommel in place was clearly pressed in after the pommel had the finish applied. It was then cut off and stands about 1/32" proud of the pommel edge. it's slightly rough from the cut, but I'm sure I can smooth it out with a jewelers file. Other than that, no complaints. Everything is tight, and fits nicely. The blade is very sharp, and I tested it out by doing a little "whittling" on a couple of branches I picked up in the back yard, and on a piece of very hard oak, left over from a woodworking project. The knife performed as expected, and was still sharp enough to slice phone book paper afterwards. I believe the black finish is some type of epoxy coating, and seems quite durable. I love the feel of stacked leather handles, even if this one is a little slick. The sheath seems very serviceable, and I believe it will hold up fine.

Now, I have small hands, and my guitars remind me of that every day. As others have pointed out, the handle on this knife is indeed, quite short. It still works for me, but I can see how it would be an issue for someone with larger hands. If you are able, I would recommend trying it out for size, before purchasing. I've added a couple of pictures of the MK1, along with the Ontario pilot's survival knife, for comparison.

Over all I'm very happy with the purchase, and think it will be a great utility/general purpose/camp knife.

original.jpg

original.jpg
Excellent choice Triple. I’m a big fan of the MK1. I carry the Kraton G handled MK1 every time I’m working in the yard. I had the leather handle MK1 but I gifted it to a forum member here. I prefer the G handle and the plastic sheath. I like the way it locks in. Very quick drawing and reinserting the blade.
It’s a work horse for sure.
Your Pilot survival knife is sweet!!! What’s the date code on the pommel?
Oh yeah welcome to the forum

Your Pilot survival knife is sweet!!! What’s the date code on the pommel?

The date on the pilot's knife is 2-80, but it was issued to me, when I was in the Navy, in 1982. It's been used some, but for the most part, it stays in the closet now. These days, I seem to enjoy the luxury of a nice hotel room, more than camping. 🤣

Oh, I stuck the handle of the MK1 under the tap, last night, and ran some water over it. That helped get rid of a lot of the slickness. I think they simply burnished the stacked leather, to a high gloss shine.

The Mk.1 is a knice knife, I found the shorty's to short for practical use, but my nephew at the time liked it till he grew like a weed. His short dad stolened it. The Mk.1 is mostly a good all round general purpose knice knife. Really it is a very good general purpose knife. Even with its "Short" handle (to me that is) it still works well for most knife tasks a normal knife task needed to be done. No matter the handle type.

IMO the Mk1 is the best general purpose knife made by KaBar. The blade design was well thought out and capable of almost all mid sized knifey chores. I realize some don’t like the handle shape, but
I’ve never had any issues using it, and wear XL/XXL gloves.

I’ve picked up another as well as a Pioneer X that will be given to my grandson when he’s ready.

Last edited:
Well after a niece grabbed one knife out of my car...2 had one mollied to her. Her sister came and asked for her knife, and grabbed my Mk. 1 she used for several deer hunting seasons...she got it and now I need to order another... I got Uncleitous and vulnerable to Knieceyton and Knephewyton.

Its good that you gave them such great knives. I’m sire they will be used and treasured.

Back