Ka-Bar Next Gen--Aus 6A and D2..

Hey peoples,

(Meant 440-A)

Just thought I'd toss in my two cents. To this day, I believe I've probably tested out over one hundred different knives. While I've used larger knives, I've come to prefer smaller and lighter (such as a Bk-11, 14, etc). While I've split who knows how many logs with them, I also found myself gravitating toward smaller and smaller. Which, for an average day, is fine and dandy. I've put a Bk-11 through more than I care to say, including even flipping fried eggs! Now, this is not a post about small knives, it's about my favorite Ka-bar knife. Ka-bar Next-Gen. I'm sorry to hear it was discontinued. It saved my hide in the winter, having had no axe
to speak of, if I remember correctly I'd broken my axe's handle. I managed to batton wood the first few cold nights, and found I didn't need an axe. Had a chance to go and get an axe after that--didn't bother. I'd split and tear up entire logs with that knife, polish the edge, use the spine and make some pine fuzz, and strike some sparks to get the kindling burning. It's point held up well, the edge was just fine. (Hated those weird serrations, and the pommel though.)

All in all, the only things I needed those frosty winter nights was my Ka-bar 1221, a ferro rod, an oak log or two and a piece of pine. It was a fine knife. (No, never found it..probably buried under mud now.) Well, in my opinion, a Next-Gen made of Aus-8A or Aus-10A for the budget buyers (like myself) or 154 CM or S30V for the higher-ends would likely make a fantastic knife. Maybe broaden the blade a bit, change the pommel style (no lanyard hole sticking out..) and a decent sheath!! There is only one knife I would trust more.

I've trusted my life more than once to just my Ka-Bar.

Its never let me down when I needed it.

I like the D2 blade, but the serrations throw me off. I called and asked for a D2 stacked leather handle model years ago, and they told me, No. Now that I know them all better, and even have the fortune to work behind their booth at shows and stuff,

They still tell me know. :D

Still one of the best knives for the money, Ka-bar none.

Moose

:) Yup, great knives! I still say they should make the tangs on the standard 1095 Cro-Van as wide and thick as those on the Next-Gen. I wouldn't mind to see a design
more like a "Quartermaster"; which has a broad, thick blade and tang as well as a stronger pommel for hammering and a drop-point instead of a clip-point. :) Hehe. I'm picky. Wow..almost two years now and I've STILL not replaced my knives..ugh..that's what being too picky gets me. Just can't decide. Can't find a custom-maker whom
can put up with all my demands either....*evil grin*. I saw a guy at a flea-market looking at a Ka-bar on display, the shop owner asked him, "What kind of knife are you
looking for, son?" the guy looked up, pointed at the Ka-bar section and said, "One for zombies!" I had to turn on my heel and walk away...I was about to bust out laughing. Zombies.. People should be more afraid of rabid animals..

A decade or so ago I bought my nephew a D2 Extreme in an Eagle sheath when he was deploying to the sand box. Now that he is home and out of the Army I have tried and tried to buy it or trade him for it and no dice. I have offered him more cash than I paid for it...which at $250.00, it was not cheap when I bought it, and I have offered knives that cost twice as much but it's too sentimental to him now. He simply will not part with it without me getting ridiculous with an offer...and maybe not then. It is his camping/hunting/survival/bug-out knife and he loves it.

I'll bet he is saving it for his son. I'm sure that knife has great sentimental value to him, considering where the two of them have been. A good knife can become
a man's bestfriend in a bad place as they present a sense of security. :) Once you find you can depend on a knife, it's hard to part with it.

I'll bet he is saving it for his son. I'm sure that knife has great sentimental value to him, considering where the two of them have been. A good knife can become
a man's bestfriend in a bad place as they present a sense of security. :) Once you find you can depend on a knife, it's hard to part with it.

Damn, if that ain't the truth. Good post.

Moose

Yeah, he says he and that knife have seen too much and too many miles together to part with it. He made it his own the day I gave it to him when he went to shave arm hair to see how sharp it was and cut his arm. I'm glad he likes it so much. When I asked him how it did in the field, he said it definitely earned its keep.

I'd sure like to see a picture of his knife, to see the marks and history left on it. There's no better piece of equipment in this world better than a good,
reliable knife. Once you get to know one, with training, you can do alot with just a sharp piece of steel! I'll bet it made it a little easier to get a bit of
sleep here and there. God bless your nephew, Mistwalker, he's a good man.

A good mornin' all :)

Well, I got to handle quite a bit, this last weekend, the Kabar Next Gen, both the plain edge and serrated, as well as the D2 Extreme.

I will have to admit, I will be owning one of them all very soon.

Classic blade style, great ergo'd handle, and nothing wrong with 440A or D2 with the proper heat treat, which they have.

I really liked the looks of them bad boys, can't wait to get some in my hands.....

Moose

Ka-bar's heat treatment is perfect. I put the Aus-6a Next-Gen I had through hell and back and it took it all and waited for more. :) I miss that knife.

Ka-bar's heat treatment is perfect. I put the Aus-6a Next-Gen I had through hell and back and it took it all and waited for more. :) I miss that knife.

I miss the one I got to fondle for a couple of days, already. Never even used the damn thing.

I've found me a surrogate though, its called the Explorer, and it should be here soon.

Moose

Hehehe can't blame ya. The handles are superb. Heh, I can remember trying to figure out how to mount my bk-11 on the Next-Gen's sheath, never worked out though, but alot of fun. They need to change the pommels though, the lanyard thing tends to cause it to be snapped off if dropped.

Hehehe can't blame ya. The handles are superb. Heh, I can remember trying to figure out how to mount my bk-11 on the Next-Gen's sheath, never worked out though, but alot of fun. They need to change the pommels though, the lanyard thing tends to cause it to be snapped off if dropped.

I like the lanyard hole. :D

Never imagined it breaking off, but I see where it could, if it hit just right.

Moose

Yea, it'll break off if you are hammering with it and you happen to angle the swing, or if you drop it and it hits at an angle which places pressure on the lanyard hole. Takes the whole pommel cap with it, tang and all. Happened to mine, though, I fixed it by super gluing the tang and the handle together. :-D Ka-bar DIY repair with B2D! Hehehe!

Yea, it'll break off if you are hammering with it and you happen to angle the swing, or if you drop it and it hits at an angle which places pressure on the lanyard hole. Takes the whole pommel cap with it, tang and all. Happened to mine, though, I fixed it by super gluing the tang and the handle together. :-D Ka-bar DIY repair with B2D! Hehehe!

WHAT!?!?!?! :eek:

Got any pics?

That doesn't sound right, I know its a powdered metal buttcap, but damn..........

Moose

I lost the knife two or so years ago, haven't been able to recover it. But the Next-Gen pommels DO break off quite easily, if one hits the lanyard thing. I believe, in my own opinion, that the lanyard extension acts as a pressure point and if hit will focus that pressure on the side of the tang causing a break. I'm hoping Ka-bar will someday put out a new version (hopefully with better serrations). But the super glue did hold up. There have been quite a few reports of it happening. I'll see if I can look them up for you.

I lost the knife two or so years ago, haven't been able to recover it. But the Next-Gen pommels DO break off quite easily, if one hits the lanyard thing. I believe, in my own opinion, that the lanyard extension acts as a pressure point and if hit will focus that pressure on the side of the tang causing a break. I'm hoping Ka-bar will someday put out a new version (hopefully with better serrations). But the super glue did hold up. There have been quite a few reports of it happening. I'll see if I can look them up for you.

Well, Kabar won't be making it, since it was discontinued a couple years ago. Those that are out there, are from old stock. Cutco has it now, called the Explorer. Same knife, with different serrations. :D

I'll post up pics when I get mine either today or Monday.

Moose

:D Hehehehe! Better serrations!!

2012-10-19224744.jpg

2012-10-19224726.jpg

Moose

Last edited:
Back