KA-BAR Tech Talk

Toooj,

Any plans for a stainless BK 16? I love the shape and size, but living on the coast in the fog makes carbon steel tough to maintain. I saw you were experimenting with new steels and I'm crossing my fingers on this one.

Thanks,
Jason

xylum,

As of present there are no plans to develope any stainless BK-15, 16 & 17s. Having said that; it all depends on Ethan and the KA-BAR Prod Dev team.
Ethan, as well as most of the BeckerHeads, have always been carbon steel fans so you may get some pushback on the idea but we have done and continue to do some Becker Stainless knives and we are experimenting with the new powdered metal stainless steels so who knows?

orca,

Present wide tanged knives include: 1245 Tanto, 1271 Fighter, 1280 Combat Khuk, 1281 D2 Extreme.
Obsoleted knives include: 1221, 1270, 1272, 1246, 1247, KBD1.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Will the leather handled hunters be made in the states again.
And what exactly is the DIN1.4116 SS they are made of and what other steals do they compare too.
Thanks
Pete

Will the leather handled hunters be made in the states again.
And what exactly is the DIN1.4116 SS they are made of and what other steals do they compare too.
Thanks
Pete

Tools, just wanted to thank you for answering all our questions. Very informative.

Tooj,
I'm betting you would not get much pushback from the Beckerheads if they were offered the tweeners in D2 or S30V.
monstrum, my understanding is 4116 is a German cutlery steel -- a lot of kitchen knives are made from it. (Like Wusthof, Victorinox, & Henkels)

monstrum,

We are looking very hard at the return of the leather hunter line to the States. There are some difficult hurdles to overcome...but we're giving it attention.

As 1066vik says: DIN 1.4116 is a German steel designation for medium carbon stainless steel...very similar to 440A. It is used extensively in the German Cutlery industry and it is also used in Taiwan.

1066vik,

If we go stainless we would probably make a small run of stainless like we have done in the past and if sucessful offer both steels. (Just thinking out loud. Don't get all revved up yet guys)
A lot of discussion goes into decisions on what product to produce.

LG &M,

You're welcome.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Hi Toooj,

In the traditional subforum over here on BFC there has been some discussion as to where Ka-Bar traditional folding knives (regular, doghead,...) were and are being made.
Here's the link: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...List-of-remaining-US-traditional-knife-makers
Could you perhaps comment on where (at what plant, 'cause we know it's in the US) this little beauties are being made?
That would end the speculation quickly :)

Thanks for taking the time!

Kind regards,

Jerry

Galeocerdoshark,

Since 2010, when we resurected some of our old traditional slippies and fixed blades, Canal Street Cutlery has been the contractor. Canal Street does excellent work.
Back when the KA-BAR Collectors Club was still in existence, the club knives floated between Queen and Case. Ocacsionally Camillus would produce a knife.
Before (and after) the KA-BAR Olean plant closed down in the mid 1970s, many of the standard KA-BAR slipjoint knives were actually made by Camillus Cutlery. Camillus did a tremendous amount of OEM work for KA-BAR, Buck, Gerber, Case, Schrade to name a few.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Galeocerdoshark,

Since 2010, when we resurected some of our old traditional slippies and fixed blades, Canal Street Cutlery has been the contractor. Canal Street does excellent work.
Back when the KA-BAR Collectors Club was still in existence, the club knives floated between Queen and Case. Ocacsionally Camillus would produce a knife.
Before (and after) the KA-BAR Olean plant closed down in the mid 1970s, many of the standard KA-BAR slipjoint knives were actually made by Camillus Cutlery. Camillus did a tremendous amount of OEM work for KA-BAR, Buck, Gerber, Case, Schrade to name a few.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Thank you very much Toooj, that's A LOT of very useful information.
One final question. I remember you said the 10XX series of traditionals being made with 440A. I recently acquired a 1100 and I'm pretty sure this is carbon steel. Is the 11XX series made out of carbon steel (1095, perhaps?)? Thank you! Love those old affordable little slipjoints made by Ka-Bar :thumbup:

Kind regards,

Jerry

Hi Toooj,
I know what I am about to ask has been asked many times, but Ethan posted new info about it in the BK&T section, so I thought I'd ask. :)

Will there really be a run of A2 Reinhardt Kukhris? If so, is there any info on how many planned to be produced or any idea on about when? Depending on how those go, I am guessing there might be a 1095CV production of these, like was done with those limited BK10s...

Thanks in advance!

EODM,

Our original intent was to make a small run of Reinhardt Khuks out of the A2. However, Ethan did some soulsearching and decided that the thickness (5/16") of the A2 wasn't in the spirit of Hank's Khuk so that has been ditched for the time being. We'll come up with another project for the A2. It just too good to leave in the steel bin and rust.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

"A2, Brut?" :D

(I know the BK1 is a dead duck, but it was too good to pass up)

EODM,

Our original intent was to make a small run of Reinhardt Khuks out of the A2. However, Ethan did some soulsearching and decided that the thickness (5/16") of the A2 wasn't in the spirit of Hank's Khuk so that has been ditched for the time being. We'll come up with another project for the A2. It just too good to leave in the steel bin and rust.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

This will make many people sad. KaBar needs to come up with something good to pick up the spirits of all of us disappointed from the NO- BK1, BK6, RBK news. ;) I've got just the thing: Large & small BK-Muks in A2 !!! :thumbup: :D

So,I've been having a lot of fun(and learning a lot) from reading this forum.Any chance of factory JAB potbelly micarta in the near future? Would also love to see a potbelly "tweener" with a 4" blade and full flat grind! Thanks!

rickc,

We have talked alot about the Micarta handles for the JAB Knives. Nothing yet but it might happen.
There is a reason that there is a line of small JABs.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

There was nothing at all wrong with the discussion we were having here, regarding the original MK2 design, I just didn't want to bog down the Tech Talk thread, as we were beginning to venture into opinion and experiences with the knife.

So, I moved the discussion here, http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1111411-Kabar-Original-Design-Discussion, to allow us more room and freedom without adding pages to the Tech Talk with Toooj thread.

Moose

Hey Tooj, how about a stacked leather handled 1095 Ka-Barley for those of us that drink professionally?

Back