Ka-Bar USN MK1 First Impressions

Mistwalker

Gold Member
Ok, the new Ka-Bar USN MK1 that I won if the fire starting contests arrived. Thanks Moose and Ka-Bar! This thing is sweet! I have been busy lately so just some detail shots and first impressions for now. I’ll post shots from the field after I get it out next week.

I really do like this knife, it is the design I was wishing they had done back when I bought my first small Ka-Bar.

IMG_6832.jpg

IMG_6833.jpg

I really like the new style of rivets over what they used to use on these hard sheaths. I’ve built several kits from their hard sheaths over the years that they have made them.

DSC_2834.jpg

I also like how the retention strap rivet is not so tight that it’s a pain to switch sides with the retention strap for right or left hand carry, and various carry options.

DSC_2835.jpg

DSC_2836.jpg

I’m glad to see locking mechanism on these sheaths. The first hard sheaths for the small Ka-Bars lacked the locking mechanism that the larger sheaths had and that made inverted carry a pain at times. Like the sheath, the locking mechanism is ambidextrous.

DSC_2838.jpg

DSC_2839.jpg

I have some mixed feelings about the absence of the upper guard, but mostly I do like it. It does make it so that the lower retention strap will not secure the knife from the spine side. I kind of like having that type of retention so as not to cut the retention strap drawing the knife quickly.

DSC_2840.jpg

DSC_2867.jpg

On the other hand, it makes some holds much more comfortable. Since this one may well be left inverted on a pack strap, now that it has the locking mechanism, I think I’ll get along just fine without the upper guard.

DSC_2842.jpg

DSC_2849.jpg

Here are some other in-hand shots. The knife has a full handle that is easy to get a good secure grip on in various holds.

DSC_2862.jpg

DSC_2847.jpg

DSC_2845.jpg

DSC_2850.jpg

The grinds on the blade are very nicely done.

DSC_2851.jpg

DSC_2852.jpg

The sheath has 10 rivets that hold it together, and two sets of slots so there are lots of options there for carry and adding things. There is a large drain hole in the back to quickly drain any water, it has an attachment point for a drop system, and it fits on a pistol belt.

DSC_2858.jpg

DSC_2861.jpg

DSC_2860.jpg

DSC_2866.jpg

The knife also came with a good working edge. Not really hair-popping sharp, but easily handled some fine curls in some very hard seasoned sycamore so not bad at all.

DSC_2856.jpg

Initial impressions are that I really like the knife a lot and I’m glad they brought it out. I think it makes a great blend of tactical usefulness and in the field all-around functionality. I think it is going to be a great little knife.

Really great pics, and I've been real interested in that knife since I first caught wind of it. Great review, thanks a bunch for it.

Blues

Great review.

For some reason tho I can't see the pics but everyone else says they can:(

nice review -- I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those.

Thanks for the kind words guys, it's just a partial review for now, but there will be a complete one later.

Thanks Mist for the review. So far , the features of that knife are hitting the nail right on the head for me.Features I particularly like:

Carbon steel
Flat grind
swedge ( I actually like them)
5" blade length
Kraton handle
flat buttcap
Strong sheath system

The black coating doesn't bother me as you could easily remove it. I bet a lot of guys will do that. This knife reminds me a lot of my SOG Northwest Rangers I have. A lot of similarities besides the blade steel itself. I find them to be very good general purpose knives and the USN seems like a winner too:thumbup:

Reactions: vab
Sweet knife! I've been checking it out in the Ka-Bar catalog myself. I would have to strip off the black coating though.

Damn now I want one. I should just stop clicking on threads like this, its starting to become very dangerous for my wallet.

Thanks Mist for the review. So far , the features of that knife are hitting the nail right on the head for me.Features I particularly like:

Carbon steel
Flat grind
swedge ( I actually like them)
5" blade length
Kraton handle
flat buttcap
Strong sheath system

Yep, right there with ya.

Where are the leather handled ones?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Great review Mist.

Not sure, couldn't find them on Tomars, but they are out there somewhere. A friend just wrote me to tell me he had one on order. I really like the looks of the leather handled ones too!

Sweet knife! I've been checking it out in the Ka-Bar catalog myself. I would have to strip off the black coating though.

Only Ka-Bars I've ever seen come from the factory with no coating were the "Next Generation" versions, even the D2 Extreme I bought my nephew when he deployed has a coating but I've seen a lot of them stripped.

Damn now I want one. I should just stop clicking on threads like this, its starting to become very dangerous for my wallet.

This place can be hard on a wallet, and on the will power :)

Great write-up so far.
BTW, if you Google Ka-Bar MK1 right now, this thread is the #1 hit on Google. :thumbup:

Thanks man, glad you're liking it.

That's wild because I forgot to even tag it...till just now.

This thing carries good on a belt. I think, since I am not going to need it, that I am going to ditch the drop-leg attachment point soon.

man i cant find the leather one and i have been looking all day, the ka-bar catalog says its a blue ridge knives exclusive, but their website wants you to become a dealer for them:rolleyes:

anyone know where to look? this thing is calling my name

Back