Kailash khukuri fever!!

Just came out of a pretty bad case of hatchet virus. It lasted several weeks and I’m not even sure if I’m completely over it yet.. But I have been staying strong, really strong! And have managed to not buy one, for now(I already have one)..

But now I have a really bad case of khukuri fever!! Been going on for several days, with heavy googling, ytube, different manufacturers, forums, you name it… Sometimes when I go to bed I have 20 - 30 tabs open in my browser!

I think at least I now am getting closer to nailing what I want in a khukuri and have found that I really like the traditional Sirupate pattern.

In my searches I found Kailash Blades, and I’m getting a really good first impression of you guys! One of the cool things I like is that you can actually get micarta handles and kydex sheaths with your knives!!

I think I am almost sold at this point, but I have a few questions and figured I might as well ask them on your forum here:

1. When you order a kydex for a Sirupate do you get the shoulder strap in addition to the dangler attachment?

2. I was told(by mail) you have both green and black color options for the kydex, where do I state my color choice when ordering?

3. What is the limit on your performance grind, and would you guys recommend this grind on a Sirupate?

4. Handles: I see you have two sizes, 5.5“ and 4.25”, is that actual grip area or is that the measure of the whole handle with bolsters and endcap? And if it’s the latter what are the measures on grip area?

5. And on the corona situation, I understand you have some serious lockdown issues right now, full respect for that. Can you tell us anything on delivery times?

That’s all I have for now, I’ll probably return with more questions later on.

Thanx Kailash Blades Kailash Blades !!

Last edited:
Just placed my order for a 14" bladed Sirupate!!

I'm so exited! Will post pictures and a short review here when it arrives.

Sure hope the covid doesn't make it too long of a wait. Was planning for some testing at our cabin during vacations this summer, the way things are looking now I might have to wait more then I initially thought.

This ytube review by Timothy McLaughlin sure has my expectations raised!! You guys seem to make a REALLY nice blade...

Hey there 353!
So sorry or the delayed reply, I thought I had this forum set as watched but it turns out that was only for threads we'd started.
You should be careful! There's a lot of big talk about coronavirus but the khukuri big is for life and there's no known cure haha
I know you've already placed the order but there's no reason we can't change it up if this information makes you rethink any of your decisions.

1.Not by default! We got your email about it and I know the guys have done shoulder straps before but I wasn't sure if they were high enough quality to match our blades. So after i got your email i came up with an improved back carry situation that doubles as a leg tie. Right now I'd say for this upgrade including strapping etc we would charge another $15. If it's too hard then we might charge more in future or if it goes well we may even make it standard or an add on extra.

full

2. We usually only reserve green kydex for custom orders but we can swap you over just if you send an email through

3. There's some info on the furthest we cover under warranty here https://kailashblades.com/warranty-and-factory-seconds/
I think in general the best bet is to find the hard use scenario that's the roughest you'd feasibly do then pick the leanest grind that covers that. You'll appreciate the cutting performance as a result. We have performance grinds in the hands of forestry workers getting used daily to clear brush, fell trees and split wood so they're great for workers. They're just not built for bones, cutting metal, overswings into rocks etc.

4. The different handle lengths at Kailash are the full length from the front of the bolster to the back of the pommel. If you hold a ruler like a hammer and the distance from one side of your palm to the other is less than 3.75" and you don't have super chunky fingers/work in thick gloves then I suggest the shorter handle as it has a bit more retention for a smaller hand. A larger handle will fit fine though and is just longer. It has more grip versatility which can be great too.

5. There's info on our homepage as a popup about delays right now. If you can't see them clear your temporary internet files and give it another crack. We also send out regular updates to anyone with an active order. It's hard to say right now as the situation is changing and the nepali government doesn't have a clear plan for us all however we think a wait time of 11-15 weeks is currently an accurate and reasonable guess, but it could well extend much longer. Just depends on how the situation goes.

A 14" sirupate will be a great first khukuri from us! Fun in hand but still a very capable outdoors tool. tough enough to chop but still a great brush clearer. I've just been looking over your order details and have found a bit of a bug in our order system regarding your sheaths. Right now it has you down for a traditional dap as well as a kydex sheath, then another traditional dap too. Is this what you want? Or just a traditional sheath and one kydex? Let me know what you're after and I'll alter your order details and apply any refuns if necessary.

Take care,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for a all the nice info!

The shoulder strap looks very nice so please add that to my order.

Regarding the sheaths, you are correct. I added 1 extra sheath, a kydex one but there was two extra slots of sheath comming up on the order tab. so yeah I only want 1 dap and 1 kydex. Thanx for noticing and please update my order with this change and also add the shoulder strap to it.

And can you also add the performance grind to my order? It sounds GREAT!

Thanx!!

That's no worries at all mate. I've fixed the bug and calculated your order price for you again manually. If you check your inbox you'll find an invoice with the order changes including the new strap :)
Take care,
Andrew

Very nice responces on your behalf Andrew! Very nice!

Looking forward to get updates on the making of my Sirupate.

Sure hope the Nepal government get you some slack soon , in a safe way of cource.

Stay safe!

J

Very nice responces on your behalf Andrew! Very nice!

Looking forward to get updates on the making of my Sirupate.

Sure hope the Nepal government get you some slack soon , in a safe way of cource.

Stay safe!

J
Great to hear! Things are actually starting to open up a little bit, and we'll be sending out an update about it later today.
Take care,
Andrew

Reactions: 353
I am looking forward to seeing your review when you get it also. Sounds like you did your homework. Thats where I am now. Doing my homework. I am glad I read the thread. I n answering the OP, Andrew answered some questions I had after I made my post above.

So I got a housecall from DLT.

lbf7hCPl.jpg

A gorgeous blade, 14" long with a nice fuller and with the performance grind Kailash offers. It came very sharp and is ready to put to work!

gzOM6qPl.jpg

Initially I found some hotspots on the grip near the base, but some wet/dry sandpaper made quick works on the micarta and it doesn't show at all after the work is done(due to the black micarta).

Sorry I don't have a pick of the(slight) mod and the lovely executed wrapped micarta as I wrapped the handle with two layers of vulc tape(rubbery tape that bonds to itself naturally and makes a great grip!!) as I found the grip to be a little on the skinny side. This also gives me the secure Fällkniven rubbery feeling on the grip.

This is not an ornament but is intended to be a heavy user.

But now it's VERY comfortable and sticks to my hand like glue, like an extension of my arm really.

lJ6PXYWl.jpg

The sheath is genious, lovely kydex work from Kailash. Easy to pull out and put back.

Yz0Ask4l.jpg

This is just a quick view and first impressions, I can't wait to get this badboi into the woods and make some damage!!

Big thanx to Andrew and the Kailash Blades Kailash Blades Team!! :cool::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Awesome to see it finally arrived!
The grip tape looks awesome and we're so excited to see your thoughts on it after a bit of extended use!

Reactions: 353
So I got a housecall from DLT.
Hey 353 , running a bit late here but have to say 14" Sirupate really great choice for an all round use khukuri . There seems to be enough heft on that thing to make it a usefull tool round any bushcraft site to carry out all kinds of camp work , but at the same time not too much angle on the peak giving it enough forward point and dynamics to use as a possible weapon , and of course with the 14inch blade enough reach if ever needed .
lbf7hCPl.jpg

A gorgeous blade, 14" long with a nice fuller and with the performance grind Kailash offers. It came very sharp and is ready to put to work!

gzOM6qPl.jpg

Initially I found some hotspots on the grip near the base, but some wet/dry sandpaper made quick works on the micarta and it doesn't show at all after the work is done(due to the black micarta).

Sorry I don't have a pick of the(slight) mod and the lovely executed wrapped micarta as I wrapped the handle with two layers of vulc tape(rubbery tape that bonds to itself naturally and makes a great grip!!) as I found the grip to be a little on the skinny side. This also gives me the secure Fällkniven rubbery feeling on the grip.

This is not an ornament but is intended to be a heavy user.

But now it's VERY comfortable and sticks to my hand like glue, like an extension of my arm really.

lJ6PXYWl.jpg

The sheath is genious, lovely kydex work from Kailash. Easy to pull out and put back.

Yz0Ask4l.jpg

This is just a quick view and first impressions, I can't wait to get this badboi into the woods and make some damage!!

Big thanx to Andrew and the Kailash Blades Kailash Blades Team!! :cool::thumbsup:

Wow , love that hollow grind and the aesthetics of the khukuri in general

Thanks a bunch!
And a gain my apologies for missing your previous correspondence attempt with us.
Take care,
Andrew and the team at kailash.

Back