Kailash Khukuri Review Megathread!

I think Metalsmith has hit the nail on the head here. Daniel Murray Lake has described an ideal chopping grip as an "OK" grip. Thumb and index together with the rest of the hand loose. The other fingers can be recruited to help "snap" the blade down but a looser grip, especially upon impact can be a big help for shock absorption. A lot of our customers swear by tennis racket tape as well- but I've never found the modification necessary.
With most western chopping knives a lot of the power comes from the weight of the hand and arm so holding the knife tightly helps to drive it into the material (look at the DBK chopping videos). On the contrary, the khukuri is more like an axe. It has enough power and is instead almost thrown into the wood- with the hand just guiding it.
That's really nice of you! I really appreciate the thoughtfulness. Also my condolences to the family for their loss.

I got a DHL tracking email this morning for my khukuri! I assume and hope you use DHL. On my birthday I did receive a junk email about a colt pistol I ordered for $1000. Ha!

I never did receive any more pic updates, which is no problem, i just thought there would be more pics along the way. I should receive it Monday April 15th. I will be sure to leave pictures, thoughts and such when I do receive it. I'm happy to have found out about you all!

I got a DHL tracking email this morning for my khukuri! I assume and hope you use DHL. On my birthday I did receive a junk email about a colt pistol I ordered for $1000. Ha!

I never did receive any more pic updates, which is no problem, i just thought there would be more pics along the way. I should receive it Monday April 15th. I will be sure to leave pictures, thoughts and such when I do receive it. I'm happy to have found out about you all!
DHL delivered my Ek Chirra yesterday, so I'd say yours should be inbound. Mine took a pretty amazing route to get here but it was really fast. It left Kathmandu on 4/4 and was delivered on 4/9. Apparently, they start the Customs Clearance en route so, no week long wait sitting in NY.

I'm curious if your Falo will be the older, MSI profile or the redesigned version. Can't wait to see your photos of the Falo and sheath, I ordered a military dap and western sheath for my MK-1.
Jack

DHL delivered my Ek Chirra yesterday, so I'd say yours should be inbound. Mine took a pretty amazing route to get here but it was really fast. It left Kathmandu on 4/4 and was delivered on 4/9. Apparently, they start the Customs Clearance en route so, no week long wait sitting in NY.

I'm curious if your Falo will be the older, MSI profile or the redesigned version. Can't wait to see your photos of the Falo and sheath, I ordered a military dap and western sheath for my MK-1.
Jack
From photos and description on the order complete email I received this morning, that it is the 11 inch MSI by the looks of it. The new version go 8, 10, 12 and 14 inch blades. I would have loved the new version because I love the curved spines and smooth transition all the way down to the hand, but I prefer the belly that the one I ordered will have. I cannot wait to feel the handle as well because I love how they described the function over finish, which to me doesn't denote lack of finish, but like they say no palm swells or rings that can be hotspots, but a smooth and functional handle!

Good eye, I didn't catch the size differences. Both profiles are nice so there are advantages to having either one... or both. Nobody told me khukuris were addictive ;).
Jack
I haven't even held one and I've already decided the next two that I wanted. So they are very addictive. I wanted the Falo because they described it as probably the toughest khukuri they make, which is exactly what I need. Second order will either be the Dui Chirra or the Fort William MK-1. Then of course I want both the Plain Jane Bowie and the Regent Bowie! One at a time......patience is a virtue.....wife would kill me......etc.

Last edited:
I've got a 7" mini on order that should be shipping sometime soon and I ordered a MK-1 about 3 weeks ago. Those will both get used but I wanted one historically accurate build, so that's how Iconfigured the MK-1. I'm still planning on ordering a Mutiny as a user and maybe a smaller, 12" - 14" Sirupate. I'd really like a Salyani (and I'll probably order one eventually) but that would be mostly a collection piece so I'm trying to resist the urge for as long as possible. See? Addictive! LOL

Back