KakBritva Luch, Hapstone R2, TSPROF K03.........looking for a fixed higher end "complete" sharpening system. Need advice

Any of the 3 are excellent systems and made to very high standards. They should all last a lifetime and will all get your knife as sharp as it can be.

The KakBritva "Luch" is a great machine and unbeatable value for money with lots of upgrade options but in the current political environment you may find it hard to get hold of one and even harder to manage after sales support. TSProf K03 are also excellent, but a little more pricey than the rest. Upgrades for the K03 are also very expensive.

I have, and use all of them and I keep falling back on recommending the Hapstone R2 "Standard" version that Gritomatic sells. There really is no need to get the "Black" version as you don't really need 2 sets of Universal angled clamps. Pair it up with a set of Venev stones, a digital angle cube, a Hapstone fine tuning adapter and a set of spring stoppers and you have an unbeatable system. I typically recommend the Hapstone system because of its versatility, modularity, upgrade-ability and extremely good value for money.

Personally, I would buy from Gritomatic. They are a USA based company with great values and excellent after-sales support.

Has Gritomatic gotten back to you yet?

To add some confusion - if you're willing to wait a little while, Gritomatic will soon sell the Kazak "Mosquito" system for (I'm guessing) around $200. It is also a great system and very cool looking sharpener.

Here is a Gritomatic stock photo of the Kazak "Mosquito" :

Now that the Luch is available, would you recommend it over the R2 if money was not a concern?

I too have recently fell into the rabbit hole of guided systems. Recently traded into a kazak model 100 and a full set of poltava cbn metallic stones. The kazak system is great. And if anyone is interested I have my kakbritva luch system with extras posted in the exchange.

Bumping this back up to ask if anybody has any actual experience with the Kazak Mosquito?
Yes, I have a Mosquito. It's base is a little more springy than the other Kazak systems but it does work very well. It's a great value for money system from Kazak.

Yes, I have a Mosquito. It's base is a little more springy than the other Kazak systems but it does work very well. It's a great value for money system from Kazak.
From an aesthetic/design standpoint is kind of neat, but it does appear that the nature of the design would make it a bit of a challenge to attach it in place as compared to other systems.

From an aesthetic/design standpoint is kind of neat, but it does appear that the nature of the design would make it a bit of a challenge to attach it in place as compared to other systems.

It's not really made to be clamped to a bench or anything. It's designed as an affordable, compact system that's quick and easy to take down and store away but at the same time giving you the same results as a far more expensive model.

Yep, those ones. They now seem to be made from a softer duralumin alloy unfortunately, which is prone to bending out of alignment if you're not careful. The older generation Lite clamps were much harder and would not deform as easily as this new generation. They still work well, but you'll just have to check them regularly.

Back