Kanji Question; handle question

Ron, you mention the Rob Simonich Talonite Kanji in the post, "Which knife (knives) do you recommend? http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/000048.html

Obviously you can use the Kanji for just about anything. I have seen a brief reason as to why you like the tanto styled point. How do you feel it did in skinning out the animals you mentioned compared to say a drop point such as a Talonite Wambli, or for that matter any other use, such as general utility and food preparation.

Secondly, do the handles ever absorb odors or any other contamination, that does not easily wash off? What type does yours have? {I assume the handles are Micarta, but did not put that in the question in case I am wrong and I do not know what kind of Micarta...although I remember some pictures on Hoodlums.]

If you had to replace the handles, would you use canvas Micarta, linen Micarta, G-10, or something else. Flat slabs, contoured, etc.?

If you needed to get another made, would it be the same size?

Thank you for any attention you can give this question.

Donald
Miami, FL

Let me take a shot at it Don,

I do like the "Tanto" type tip for a few reasons. Before I say anything else, I have literally, hundreds of blades and I like most of them in one way or another.

We have dropped the tanto so a line projected down the spine toward the tip will leave about a 1/4 inch drop at the point. This allows the spine to ride on any flesh below the hide and makes for easier skinning. The tip itself works like a zipper when skinning. It is also easier for most folk to sharpen in as much as there are no wrist articulation issues to deal with.

The straight tip edge also makes fine carving and food prep very easy, though I can get by just fine with anything up to and including a stream stone.

The handle slabs are linen micarta. I've had no problem with odor retention nor with durability. I suppose there is tougher stuff but Micarta is beautiful when worked as Simonich does it. Folks look at the blade but admire the pattern on the micarta.

If something managed to blow off the handles (and I was still alive!) I'd put the same stuff on.

As far as the length goes... for me it is perfect.

Knife selection really is a personal choice. When I read the knife forums I'm amazed how well versed everyone seems to be. I come from the POV of a field user. Does it work? Is it tough? etc.

Ron

------------------
Learn Life Extension at:

http://www.survival.com ]

Donald, Ron answered that question better than I could have, and he is right on all points. There are actually very few handle materials that are tougher than Micarta or G-10. Caerbon Fiber is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. I am sure there are others out there, but I am talking non metal handles. I have never experianced any odor retention or other contamination with Linen Micarta or G-10. Canvas Micarta will soak up a very minimul amount or moisture due to the courseness of the canvas cloth, it is however only on the suface as near as I can tell.

------------------
www.simonichknives.com

Ron,

Thanks for the answer. I realize that a few others should have this knife by now. I did not mean to exclude their point of view and would love to hear theirs to. I thought of you first as you had a lot to do with designing the knife.

I do have a knife with black linen micarta handle slabs. I know what you mean about admiring handles. Although it has some interesting design parameters, I purchased it for the same reason many others had fondled it, because of the comfotable handle. This knife by J. English can be viewed here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=91257&a=817804&p=13404179

As I type this I see that Rob has also responded. Thanks.

Back