Katana for my sons 13th birthday and homemade wall rack

I ordered a custom Katana for my son from Hanbon Fordge. Got him a standard 1060 High Carbon, no blood groove, no hamon, eagle theme (his school mascot are eagles), blue ray skin (school color is blue), black silk handle wrap, matte black scabbard, black and white cord wrap and engraving with his first name and this years birthday date. It was $107 shipped and I was pleased with the quality level for the very low price.

So son got his birthday present yesterday, he was so excited and really loved the engraving. I put together a wall mount for him an hung it in his room.

cool deal, i would be careful i have heard stories of some 1060 blades like this being heat treated very poorly so careful if he cuts with it

You are WAY cooler than my dad was ! IIRC all I got was a Puma folder . Actually I was very happy to receive that . Great improvement over my Cub Scout folder .:p

I guess the heat treat could be hit or miss, I don't expect him to use it much, and if he does it will be on water jugs and fruit.

An untrained youth with a mediocre grade katana can be a very dangerous combination. Serious accidents from a misplaced cut, and flying pieces of broken blades can maim or kill.

If you really want to be a cool dad, enroll him in a class. He won't start with sicing up mats and swinging swords, but he will learn discipline and safety. Once he learns on a wooden sword, he will train with a blunt edge sword. After he has the skills, he will be able to cut things. By then he will be ready for a proper sword.

Amen to Stacy's suggestion. I practiced Iaido for years and there is nothing worse than have a cheap blade come apart and go flying across the room (maybe into someone). A three foot razor blade is nothing to play with.

Rich

yeah i got my first one at 11 years old and was not allowed to touch it unless supervised,i would suggest the same and enroll them in a class

Back