Recommendation? Kayaks

Hey guys. I'm looking to purchase new kayaks. I'm 6' 230lbs and enjoy fishing. I'd like a quality kayak under let's say $500. I'm currently using a sun dolphin Aruba but am looking to pass it on to the kid . An angler kayak would be my interest but if a non fishing kayak is "better" for the money, I can add rod holders later.

My girlfriend is about 5'3" and would like something under $200. She has the same kayak I do currently.

I've had an Old Town Otter for about 20 years. Tough as nails, no frills, or extras. Very basic. I use it for river smallmouth, and flood control dam bluegills and it is great! Forces you to just take the basic gear. It will probably see me out.

22Hornet

I would look at Old Town also. First you have to decide what kind of kayak you want as you technically can fish from any of them. Are you fishing flat water or flowing streams/rivers? Do you hike (and carry your kayak) into a spot to put in or mostly a place you can drive your vehicle to?

I have a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 12 footer sit on top type. It cost more than $500. I've had it for years and it has served my needs. Not the perfect kayak for fast flowing water, but you can get by.

Lots of choices out there. I have no specific recommendation as I haven't kept up on pricing.

I fish in lakes mostly, nothing heavily flowing. I'd like some rod holders and a storage compartment but neither are a necessity. I drive to the places I go, walk a max of 10 yards if necessary.

I like the Old Town Pack one man canoe. It gets my butt off the floor and utilizes a Kayak paddle. 33lbs. makes it easy to portage.

Back