Ken Onion's Speed Safe

Evidently they fixed that problem in mine cause all I have to do is barly move the thumb stud a little and it is open and it came shaving sharp and after I rewired my shop the other day and used it cutting & stripping wire to do that it's still shaving sharp so I think it's a plenty good knife for less than 60.00 Tank/TbarK Custom Knives

Canuck,
Michael Vagnino never had permission to build Speed safe knives. And will not be making any more in the future. It is patented and will be vigorously defended.

Aloha!!! Ken Onion

Nice going Ken.

------------------
Regards,
Ron Knight

Yeah I'm crazy, but what do you want me to do about it

I considered this knife until I started reading about the high incidence of finger cuts people were experiencing opeining this knife. I also read some very negative comments about the construction quality of the knife. Anyway, I checked one out at a store and in no time at all I had cut my finger playing with this thing. The fellow at the store said most people who try it for the first time do the same. You have to be very careful where you place your hand and fingers when opening this knife. I passed on it.

I have three of the Onion/Kershaws, an old style Task, an old style mini-Task, and a Whirlwind. I've never even come close to cutting myself on them. Although I normally carry a small Spydie during the week, which requires the circular opening motion, the straight push for the speed-safe is perfectly natural for me. I've been very pleased with each of these models. I roughenned up the end of my thumb from the serrations on the thumb stud when I first got the Task (played with it a lot), but that wouldn't happen under normal useage.

If I had one suggestion, it would be to put thumb studs on both sides of the blade. That way you don't have to be so particular about which pocket you drop it in.

Just got the BLACK OUT.

I love it.
But I do have a problem with it.

I wish I got one of the HIGH END speed safes!

Getting the Black Out was just to test the design... carry it for awhile and see how it is to live with.
Well, she makes her self right home!

Looks like a Random Task will have to be ordered next month.
Any semi customized Ken Onions out there? I looked at a Random Task at the gun show and it had bolsters and the polished G-10 if thats what it was - was a nice light color almost like stag. 165 bucks - I should have bought it right there on the spot but I had just spent too much money.
frown.gif

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some
moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!

Why your no Ogre at all,
Thanks for the kind words about the Black out, Nice to hear.

I don;t know how people cut them selves with the Speed Safe. To try to make it a little more user friendly I am using a flipper on the new "BOA" comming out in Jan 2000 Hopefully those of you that have experienced problems with the thumb stud opening method can now utilize the flipper which will eliminate the possability of cutting yourself.

It also has a brand new locking mechanism that I think is pretty cool. Really tough too! But ya gotta wait till Y2K for that .

Also sorry for sounding like a p---K on the last post. I just have a lot invested and need to protect Speed Safe as I'm sure you can all understand.

Aloha!!! Ken

Is there anyway to get one before then? Kershaw or not?

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some
moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!

You sure don't have to look for a maker's mark on those to tell who designed them. Vary nice. I am envisioning the top one with mammoth ivory scales - awesome.

Ogre - from what I hear, Ken is booked up for several years on custom orders. The Kershaw production models will be available before you could get a custom.

Ogre wrote that he had a problem with the new Ken Konion Black Out; I'm interested in ordering one of these so could you tell me what your problem was? Also, was it sharp out of the box?

Thank you

john murphy
murp189@ibm.net

Last week my Spyderco bit me on my flicking thumb. I use my knife daily at work so I was in trouble.
I took out my whirlwind had had a chance to really use it. It was great in that I could still use my one hand opener even though my flicker was out of commission.
My Thanks to Ken and Kershaw.

I recently received a Mini-Task 1500 and found that I am inconsistent with my ease of opening the knife. Can the knife be adjusted to allow it to open with less presure?

I really like the Baby Boa. It's small enough to clip inside my shirt pocket, handy.

Ken, you didn't sound like a P@@@@ at all. Definately defend the patent. And state the facts here. I would not have known had you not posted.

I like the speed safe mech, but will not be buying one from MV.

------------------
Regards,
Ron Knight

Yeah I'm crazy, but what do you want me to do about it

Ken- i sent you an e-mail but just in case you look here first, i had a couple quick questions for you (or anyone else who may know)...Lock strength: how many lbs. does it take to defeat the lock on the Random Task and also on the mini-Task? how does the Ti. Walker lock compare with the Axis-lock's strength? maybe that's just apples and oranges; if so, my apologies. also, how far over does the liner engage on the blade? since the bar does the 80% of the work to engage the blade i'm wondering how far into the blade it will engage. thanks for any help; i have a new Axis 705 that i may sell and buy one of those Random Tasks cause i love the design of the blade!

Ken- i sent you an e-mail but just in case you look here first, i had a couple quick questions for you (or anyone else who may know)...Lock strength: how many lbs. does it take to defeat the lock on the Random Task and also on the mini-Task? how does the Ti. Walker lock compare with the Axis-lock's strength? maybe that's just apples and oranges; if so, my apologies. also, how far over does the liner engage on the blade? since the bar does the 80% of the work to engage the blade i'm wondering how far into the blade it will engage. thanks for any help; i have a new Axis 705 that i may sell and buy one of those Random Tasks cause i love the design of the blade!

Back